Darwin, again - SjB {P}
The scene: Feemale teenager and a young girl, stood at the corner of their residential street where it meets a trunk road that happened to be replete with 40 MPH, heavy, rush hour traffic.

Their apparent mission? To reach the convenience store on the other side.

Located about 200 yards in one direction is a light controlled pedestrian crossing, and located about 50 yards in the other direct is a pedestrian refuge (without marked crossing or lights, but better than nothing).

How did they try to cross?

Straight through the traffic... I winced as the "responsible teenager" ran out, dragging young girl with her, nearly being collected by a van in the process. They then reached the middle of the road, nearly got run over by a motoribike overtaking down the crown, got cold feet, turned round, and crossed back directly in front of a truck with unladen flatbed that locked all six wheels in the braking process.

Last seen stood at the kerb having an argument with each other...

Darwin, again - Clanger
Even if teenage girl had improbably received guidance from her parent/guardian, teenage children know sooooooo much more than their parents.

My 16-year old son has lectured his 9-year old brother on the precisely correct way to cross the main road, but was quite happy to bike across town in the dark with no lights. He was less happy when I chained his bike up until he refitted the lights ...
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Darwin, again - frazerjp
I can remember being taught the 'green cross code' when i was 9, one day my parents picked me up from school on a wet afternoon, when he pulled away just outside my school a girl from my year walked right out in front of us, nearly being knocked over!! Even they dont pay attention!!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)