Skoda's are cool ??? - Steve G
I'm questioning my sanity at the moment because i saw one of the best looking saloon cars i have seen in a long time today ..... a Skoda.
It must have been top of the range Octavia (i think) reminded me of Alfa romeo/Lancia saloon. Nice big dark grey alloys/aggresive styling in black paint.
I would like to drive one just to see how good/bad Skodas are.Problem is if its really good i still would'nt buy one because of the image thing.... Just like the latest adverts for Skodas.
Perhaps i could slap some Lancia badges on to disguise its a Skoda ????
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - T lucas
When did a Lancia qualify as cooler or better than a Skoda?Lancia are soo bad they make Alfa look desirable and reliable.I havent checked but i guess Skoda real life residuals will be better than Alfa and thankfully Lancia wised up and left the building,so no residuals to worry about there.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Guy Lacey
It's the Octavia RS I suspect. A very good looking car. Did it have green brake calipers? It does look the biz - Volkswagen's influence of course.

It shares the same engine as the SEAT Leon 20V Turbo and puts out about 180bhp or thereabouts. For owners of the Audi TT I'm afraid to say it also has the same engine as you do!!! hehehe

Skodas are no longer a joke - Ladas however are a different story.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - ladas are slow
the lada company is now half owned by general motors, so lada might be coming back to britain.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Andy Bairsto
Whats that to do with Skoda,and your facts are wrong again
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Steve G
Yes your right its a Octavia RS with 180 BHP. Went to Skoda website to find out more. What am i doing ???
Both Lancia and Alfa Romeo have a poor image/reputation left over from the 70's and 80's rust e.t.c but in my opinion produced some of the best looking saloons during the 90's Alfa 155 or 156 for example.
Maybe Skoda should enter the BTCC. Certainly did Volvo no harm.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - ian (cape town)
< >
So do British cars, in general! :)
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Dan
Yeah - and south african marques are...erm...er.....hmmm....sis....there don't appear to be any :) Must be the carjackers......
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Alwyn
The loads of money being spent on TV ads. telling us that Skodas are still disliked because of their past image is utter madness.Such a negative campaign.

If the name had a bad image drop it, for goodness sake.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - SE
The ad campaign obviously works .... we are talking about it!
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Dave
> If the name had a bad image drop it, for goodness sake.

The name's only got a bad image in the UK.

Elsewhere in Europe they are remembered for their excellent engineering heritage.

And, lets face it, there are places where people will not buy German cars.

I had an Estelle for 5 years. It was great. Before that I had a nearly new 4 gear 1.3 golf. The Estelle was much quicker, cheaper and quieter.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - The Growlette
Skoda as I recall is Czech in origin, not German, and the Skoda organisation was founded on armaments manufacture.
True - they made a mean light tank in the late 30's and early 40's - pity it was the Germans though....
Oops - damn fingers - FOR the Germans....
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? Yes they are - Greg Hill
Near where I live, there is a private "independent" school. For many years most ofl the school run cars you saw were 4x4 and Mercs and BMWs. In the last year, I have seen an increasing number of Octavia Estates and Fabia super-minis being used for the school run. So it is now "cool" enough for children of well-off parents to be seen in Skodas!
"Skoda as I recall is Czech in origin, not German, and the Skoda organisation was founded on armaments manufacture."

Which is why VW wanted it. Plenty of coutries where German products are not welcome.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Tony
Which countries dont want German cars? I cant think of anywhere ive been that didnt have Merc or VW.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Peter
I run one - an Octavia 1.6 GLXi estate, black metallic paint, alloy wheels.
I have converted it to run off LPG.

If you are contemplating buying one - consider importing one from Ireland - Irish spec. You only get 1 years warranty/mechanical servicing/AA cover instead of 3 years but I saved almost 30% off the price of the car.
i heard that in germany people dont want geman cars, they want japanese cars.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Andy Bairsto
Again you have not done your homework ,there is not a japanese car in the top 6 of cars bought in Germany
"Which countries dont want German cars? I cant think of anywhere ive been that didnt have Merc or VW."

Damn I was hoping I wouldn't be asked specifics.

I'd have said the Eastern European countries, Isreal, can't be massively popular in any of the occupied Countries.

But yeah, I'm sure they sell a few.
Skodas ads are *supposed* to be taking the mick out of themselves just as the VW ads took the mick out of VW enthusiasts in the "Some things are best left alone campaign"

Skoda would be laughed off the pitch if they pretended their name wasn't a joke. I think it is very brave of them to use a campaign that shows their humility but also their sense of humour. They are saying, "Look, we know we used to be poked fun at but are cars are so good you won't be able to distinguish them from the other marques in the VAG group. Very clever, very funny and I suppose it has to be said, the ads aren't supposed to attract those people that *still* find Skoda jokes funny.
if VW really want a company that people make fun of, then they should buy either lada or yugo.
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Honest John
Skoda's excellent engineering heritage was diluted by the commie decision to have the rear-engined cars built by convicts. That's why they often arrived in the UK with the indicators wired so that left lit up the offside front and nearside rear, while right lit up the nearside front and offside rear. They were such a joke I would have died laughing if I'd known which way the geezer in front intended to turn. They had one at a magazine I workd for once, so I sent the lads a package labelled "special protective headgear for driving Skoda". It contained a brown paper bag with eye-holes. The editor (who bought the Skoda) didn't understand. He was South African.

HJ
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - ian (cape town)
Never had skodas here, HJ - the old regime wouldn't trade with the godless communists!
Later we did get Dacias though, and at present, the lada niva 1.7 is the cheapest 4wd here, at about GBP 5000. (Mr Whitley Bay will be pleased to hear!)
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - crazed idiot
wouldnt pass current crash/emission regs here now afaik
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - Peter
Crazed Idiot
The Irish spec Skoda has been registered in the Uk now for almost 2 years. Skoda has serviced the car. Car is also insured as an imported Irish spec, LPG converted car with insurance surcharge (<£350/year)
I believe all cars sold in the EU have to pass the same crash/emission regulations.
The difference in spec between the Irish and UK models is the UK model has aircon, whilst the Irish model has CD player and the roof bars on the estate.
Peter
Re: Skoda's are cool ??? - crazed idiot
was tlaking of lada niva 1.7 as per ian of cape town
the lada riva, WOULD pass the emissions tests, because the ones in cape town and other countries have 'cats' and are fuel injected.
3 posts by the bane of the BR within 6 minutes - each one a single sentence long.

Ever heard of the phrase "Think before you speak" ??????

Please stick all your bile in one post from now on. We are no longer amused and have not been so for many months.