New Car Peugeot 206SW - Shez
I wish to buy a new car, but have to make allowance for putting a wheelchair in the boot. I want a car with flat loading, as low as possible. Also something which is not too much longer than my present Rover 200, about 4000mm, give or take 300mm, so it will fit in my garage. It needs to be automatic transmission.

I have found two which seem to fit the bill, the Ford Fusion and the Peugeot 206SW. Of these the 206 is more comfortable and suitable. However, I have heard reports that the 206 can cut out while driving. (BBC Watchdog December 2004) Do you know if this problem has been addressed, or explained. I hesitate to buy without knowing the answer. Obviously, car salesmen are very dismissive of the problem. Alternatively, have you any other suggestions for a flat loading car of about this size?
New Car Peugeot 206SW - bimmer-driver
Have you tried the Honda Jazz or the Mitsubishi Colt? HJ seems to be always recommending them, and for good reason.
The Honda and Mitsubishi Garages are not local, but the Honda is more possible. I have looked at the Jazz on their website, but can't tell whether the boot is flat loading. For some reason, the manufacturers don't seem to think that is an important bit of information to give. Car magazines don't either.
Thanks for your reply. I will persevere!
New Car Peugeot 206SW - DavidHM
Skoda Fabia estate as well. More reliable than a 206 and a better driving position IMO.

Not sure what you mean by a flat loading boot - the floor or the seats? The Honda's floor is pretty flat and spacious but I think you'd have to look to see if it's suitable.
By a flat loading boot, I mean that I don't have to lift the wheelchair, or anything else, over a lip to put it in. Even more important, to lift things out again. My back is not good for lifting things high and it is much better to be able just to pull things out, rather than lift them up and over the lip. I have looked at the Fabia, but even the Estate has quite a lip to the boot, though I did like the car.
Thank you for your input on my problem.
New Car Peugeot 206SW - Altea Ego
Check out the scenic, the Mk1 had no lip and a fairly high loading level so no bending.
New Car Peugeot 206SW - bartycrouch
Have you looked at a Yaris Verso Shez? length 3880 1.3 auto. Almost MPV like in its flexibility, but it is ugly.

Does it have to be new and how many passengers would you have?
New Car Peugeot 206SW - Avant
SWMBO used to have a Jazz and as far as I remember it did have a lip over which you had to lift things. Otherwise it was excellent.

I'd agree in recommending a Fabia estate over the 206 - all the satisfaction surveys I've seen show much better results for Skodas than Peugeots. This covers both reliability and what they're like to drive and use every day.

In general estates are less likely to have a loading lip than hatchbacks.
New Car Peugeot 206SW - Avant
I should add - you also need to ckeck that the Fabia estate doesn't have a loading lip - maybe someone on here will know.

The Citroen Berlingo might also be worth looking at - being a converted van it's likly to have a low loading height. (I can't remember if someone has mentioned this already - if so I second it).
New Car Peugeot 206SW - Happy Blue!
No Avant, you were the first person to mention it, so I second you, except it's not automatic. However, the Renault Kangoo is available as an automatic. Should be easy to get a wheelchair fully open into the rear.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Car Peugeot 206SW - blue_haddock
As has been mentioned the Yaris verso is available as an auto and does have both a low loading height and because of the side opening door there is no lip to lift things over.