159 mph Police Driver. LOCKED. - PR {P}
Locked. I think Whingingit and MLC between them have put the "horses mouth" version across rather well. Any further discussion is likely to continue it's journey down the road to hyperbole and conjecture, with a brief stop in the layby of emotion before lunch at the Flaming Backroomer.

ND

(Thread title changed to make it clearer what is being discussed.)

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4559173.stm

Good news, now anyone who is a good driver can drive at 159mph!
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Orson {P}
Does the head of so-called road so-called safety know ANYTHING?

100 mph too dangerous. In freezing fog at rush hour outside a primary school maybe.

Get over it.
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - PR {P}
I quite agree Orson, but if you or I were to be caught under similar circumstances there would be a jail term involved. I wonder if an advanced driving qualification would save a member of the general public?
New speed limit for "good" drivers - PR {P}
save a member of the general public from jail/heavy fine/ loss of job I meant to add, sorry!
New speed limit for "good" drivers - ndbw
The police appear to have taken their enquiry procedures from the government,the word Whitewash comes to mind.

ndbw
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Cardew
The police appear to have taken their enquiry procedures from the
government,the word Whitewash comes to mind.
ndbw

His superior officer saw the video(that the driver had taken himself)had an enquiry and brought charges as it was considered dangerous. The judge found him not guilty - not the police.

So if that is a "whitewash", perhaps you can suggest what should have happened?
New speed limit for "good" drivers - TimW
So if that is a "whitewash", perhaps you can suggest what
should have happened?

He got punished like any other non-police motorist, with or without a barrage of advanced driving qualifications.
So what has that to do with Police enquiry procedures?

Is your definition of a 'whitewash' a magistrate giving a verdict that you do not agree with?
Yes when it's as blatant as this.
Yes when it's as blatant as this.

Police procedures or Magistrates verdict?>>
Both. Suprised it even made it to court.
Both. Suprised it even made it to court.

If it hadn't made it to court you no doubt would have also accused the police of a Whitewash.

Damned if they do and Damned if they don't.

Still another excuse to knock the police I suppose.

Not too much logic in your posts I suggest.
Still another excuse to knock the police I suppose.

Yep.
Not too much logic in your posts I suggest.

No just experience.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Big Bad Dave
Anyone simple-minded enough to video themselves doing something so stupid should be nailed to a tree. You wonder how such a numptie can get so far in life without Darwinism selecting him for extintion much sooner.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Ex-Moderator
From teh article, specifically the Road Saftey bod...

"Even in emergencies we consider that driving at 100mph or more is too dangerous."

I do hope that one day a car travels at 100mph on a clear and open road on its way to help him in an emergency, but regrettably arrives 15 seconds too late.
Will someone show me one case study of a human life being saved by a police driver arriving in the nick of time after driving like a maniac through a city.

Because they kill 30 people a year.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Rishab C
Since 1997, over a million proper jobs have gone overseas, and 750,000 civil servant posts have been created, and it shows!
New speed limit for "good" drivers - nortones2
re "750,000 civil servant posts have been created, and it shows" Why? ROSPA is not a civil service organisation, if that is what you think. Its a registered charity, independent of Govt. and frequently critical of it. I don't agree with the blanket statement re 100mph, but thats another matter!
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Bromptonaut
Since 1997, over a million proper jobs have gone overseas, and
750,000 civil servant posts have been created, and it shows!

Errr no Blair is reducing the size of the Civil Service. Lots of new public sector jobs, though 750k sounds like a Mail ir Express kind of figure. But how many are Nurses, Teachers/Classroom Assistants or (tenuous motoring link) Police Community Support bods?
New speed limit for "good" drivers - smokie
Dave, ISTR you live abroad. Just for one example, you might not be aware of the binge drinking culture overtaking this country, and the incredible amount of threatening or downright violent behaviour which results. I suspect the rapid deployment of police to some of these events has saved lives, injuries and damage to property by the shedload (although unfortunately not completely prevented them).

Without trying too hard, I can think of many other examples.

The police do a hard job to keep the lid on our community, often under very difficult circumstances, and deserve a lot more support than they get.

Where do you live btw?
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Stuartli
Judging by the story, it seems an example of what I was always advised: "Speed - in the right place at the right time".

The recent BBC series about South Yorkshire traffic police often showed advanced police drivers in pursuits at very high speed, often at night, some of them using a handheld old style phone to relay a commentary.

Now that, especially in a built-up area, to me is dangerous and I would think it would not be too difficult to devise a headset arrangement to replace the handheld phone and avoid the need for one-handed control of the vehicle.

There is no greater admirer than me of advanced police drivers, but sometimes they do leave themselves open to possible criticism, especially when actually being filmed in the process...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New speed limit for "good" drivers - ihpj
but sometimes they do leave themselves open to possible criticism, especially
when actually being filmed in the process...:-)

>>
Quite right, and hand on my heart I reckon this Copper was just having some fun and seeing how far he could 'push it' :)

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Blue {P}
Do you not think that the moral panic over binge drinking is just that, a moral panic, akin to when Carol Vorderman was suggesting that if your child uses the internet they will highly likely end up being assaulted by a pervert?

I agree with what you say Smokie, I think high speed responses probably do save more lives and prevent more criminal damage than we are able to realise, unfortunately the binge drinking panic is my little hobby horse. :-)

And yes, I admit, I do occasionaly see some trouble in the city centre, but nothing like how the media portray it, if I ever was involved in some bother in the city, I would appreciate a very rapid resonse from the Police, which thanks to CCTV we normally receive.

I can't believe the stupidity of this organisation saying that 100mph is too dangerous when attending a high priority call out, bet they wouldn't think that if their family was in a life threatening situation...

Blue
"The police do a hard job to keep the lid on our community, often under very difficult circumstances, and deserve a lot more support than they get."

Hi Smokie

Don?t get me wrong I?m a huge supporter of the police. I have been the victim of extreme violence of exactly the kind you describe resulting in a long stay in intensive care and a year in the dentist?s chair. The CID were fantastic, I know the things they had to do to ensure my six attackers stood before the courts.

As extreme as my case was, I don?t think it warranted putting other pedestrians or road-users in danger. I certainly wouldn?t want that. Of course there will be exeptional circumstances where there is justification, but too often they are Mickey Mouse affairs. I stood on Great Titchfield Street in W1 a couple of years ago and watched six cars scream up to a restaurant, with blue lights and sirens. Terrorists? No, the owner had phoned to complain that the builders above were too loud. I can?t begin to imagine the emptyness or loss or futility or anger I would feel if my wife or my little girl had been killed by one of those cars. But the familes of 30 or so people this year won?t have to imagine. Families of police drivers that are killed too. What would you say to them?

Having said that, I am extremely glad that the ambulance got a move on.

"Where do you live btw?"

I?m out in Warsaw, it?s part of my plan to be mortgage-free before I hit 40. The standard of driving here is deplorable, absolutely shocking, everybody drives like they?ve just passed their test, tailgating and overtaking anything that moves. They have one of the highest rates of deaths per accident in Europe.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - DSLRed
Will someone show me one case study of a human life
being saved by a police driver arriving in the nick of
time after driving like a maniac through a city.
Because they kill 30 people a year.

Here's one then:

I saw a very good documentary a couple of years ago. It was a special edition of "Police Camera Action" or some other programme of a similar vein.

It documented the journey made by a couple of traffic plod from the Home Counties (Essex?) who had to transport a heart, due for a transplant patient, that had just arrived at Luton Airport(I Believe, may have been Stanstead). The problem was that:

a. The Heart's plane journey had been delayed, so was late.

b. The aircraft was due in Gatwick but had been diverted, due to bad weather.

c. Due to the hospital not knowing the problems encountered, the operation had already started, in a hospital in London, and the Patient was soon to be "without Heart".

The gist therefore was that the 2 police had 33 minutes to get from the Airport to this hospital in London to allow the heart to be transplanted before both the patient died and / or the heart became unusable.

The programme followed the in-car camera footage throughout the journey, as they travelled down the M1 at speeds of up to 140mph in mid afternoon traffic. When on the outskirts of London they were picked up by Met Police Bike Outriders as they were now out of their area and did not know the route.

Along the way, due to the expert logistical planning of the new London Area Police Control Room, there were police on every single junction on the route, in advance and in plenty of time, to hold up the traffic and provide a clear run through. Therefore, they could keep their speed up to around 80-100mph, even driving through central London.

Even so, at times, stupid drivers would pull out of queues, when they could not have missed the 4 bikes and 2 cars, all with lights and horns blazing. And all the time the co-pilot in the car was giving a running commentary of current position and conditions, whilst trying to hold the basket with the heart in it on the back seat!

They arrived, a journey of about 80 miles later, in exactly 33 minutes. Whilst the copper with the basket ran into the hospital, the driver flaked out over the bonnet. Even I had a sweat on.

Good Programme, Superb Driving, one life saved.

It was gripping.

Does that give you an example.
"Does that give you an example"

You?re right, I saw that, it was well executed and thoroughly planned. Spot on risk assessment.

Kind of highlights my point too that when the occasion is justified it?s such a rare occurrence that they make a documentary from it.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - DSLRed
Kind of highlights my point too that when the occasion is
justified it?s such a rare occurrence that they make a documentary
from it.

Ha Ha - Good point. Or perhaps this one was just "good tele".

whatever, I was certainly impressed. I think that what impressed me most was the quick and efficient planning and execution of the logistical operation. In total there were, I believe, in excess of 150 police involved that day, from control room staff to plod on the beat holding up the traffic.

Made me think we live in a modern and efficient Britain.

Perhaps that it the bit that was so unusual it merited a documentary.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Altea Ego
"but regrettably arrives 15 seconds too late."

Mark - you are too kind, and 15 seconds is too ambiguous.

3 seconds, Just long enough so he can see the blue lights approaching and KNOWS that he could have been saved just before the life blood ebbs.........
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Badger
Regardless of the other police-related considerations, it is interesting that:-

"The court heard the roads on which Pc Milton drove were deserted at the time of the patrol and that driving conditions were good. "

So that's all right, then -- but a Gatso does not differentiate in this way.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - mjm
Perhaps an ambulance or a paramedic arriving in time by driving at over 100mph would save a life, a policeman, how?

Yes, the police do work hard to keep the lid on things, binge drinking etc but in my opinion blatently breaking the law, in this case by a large speed margin, and receiving no punishment doesn't help their case. It just reinforces the feeling of one law for them and one law for us.

New speed limit for "good" drivers - pdc {P}
Aw, come on, surely the Police should be above the law and allowed to do what they want to with no regard to it? Surely they deserve a perk of the job, given all the abuse they get from the public?

Give the guy a break.

I'm of the opinion the the police shouldn't have to display valid tax discs either.

New speed limit for "good" drivers - sierraman
Aw, come on, surely the Police should be above the law
and allowed to do what they want to with no regard
to it? Surely they deserve a perk of the job, given
all the abuse they get from the public?

They already are above the law,backed by the judicary,
that is why they get abuse from the public.

New speed limit for "good" drivers - Stuartli
But if you don't practice driving at high speeds, how do you cope when it's the real thing?

All the police traffic drivers I know were taught driving at very much higher than normal speeds (providing the circumstances are right) on occasion during the course and were assessed on their peformance during such driving.

This factor was also much in evidence in yet another BBC TV series about the Welsh police advanced driving course instructors and their pupils.

If you saw the series, you will also recall that the head of the department visited Germany to assess a simulator and had recommended acquiring one of the machines to his superiors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Perhaps an ambulance or a paramedic arriving in time by driving
at over 100mph would save a life, a policeman, how?

>>
Usually Police are the first 'on scene' to an incident and as the Stephen LAWRENCE case pointed out, competant delivery of First Aid can make all the difference. But that aside, if you've got a Burglar in your house or you're watching someone steal your car - you'd want the Police there now, not in two minutes, not in five minutes...but there right away.
Yes, the police do work hard to keep the lid on
things

>>
Thank you ;)
It just reinforces the feeling
of one law for them and one law for us.

No it isn't and I know you (and many people reaidng this) feel that it does...but it isn't.

As a Police Driver you have three exmeptions in Law, these are statuatory exemptions that must be exercised with due care, regard to safety and above all within reason. One of them is for the Police to travel in excess of the speed limit. Sometimes it might mean doing 50MPH in a 30MPH zone...sometimes it might mean doing 33MPH in a 30MPH zone...or even 10MPH in a 30MPH zone - if thats what the road conditions determine, then thats the speed.

Now this PC is obviously speeding, but given that he is an Advanced Driver, he has been taught and deemed fit to drive at speeds, for if an incident kicked off that required his attendance, he would get there as fast and as safely as possible. part of driving at speed requires you to have the confidence in the car that it will respond when you want it to and knowing the capabilities and limitations the car has.

As an Advanced Driver he has had that extra bit of training that allows him to drive faster - at speeds that you and I would consider 'dangerous' - but safely because he has had the training, experience and input to do so. You might not agree with this POV, but thats why he is an Advanced Police Driver. As such he will have authority to (where needed) ram other vehicles whereas more standard Police Driver's may not. He will have the authority to engage in high speed pursuits - where normal Police Drivers may not. He would have been trained to driving at high speeds and safely so. Which isn't the case with more of the 'normal' Police Drivers out there.

The case in point was that there was no guidance on where the Officer should get familair with his equipment - rather than the excess speed. I haven't read what was said in defence etc. but I'm guessing the argument used was that he was driving a Police vehicle, in job time, and as such relying on the legal exemptions in law while familiarising hismelf with the vehicle should he be required to respond to an incident.

There was a thread on here not so long ago that unmarked Police cars were seen speeding up/down the M1/M25 etc. possibly engaged in 'mock' chases on Public roads...the real world is where you can get a feel for a car and handling - no test track or simulator can compensate...you have to 'learn to feel the car' if you're going to ask it to respond so urgently.

With CS spray you can train in the gym. With your baton you can workout in a gym. You can practice your unarmed defensive tactics in the classroom and in a controlled environment - but when it comes to honing skills like driving, that can sometimes be only done in the 'real world' since you might indeed be required to engage in a high speed pursuit and you know sods law it'll be the night when you've returned from leave and there is a new car which you have to get used to...

Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

-----
I wonder if an advanced driving qualification would save a
member of the general public?

>>
It wouldn't because there is no exemption in Law for it. To drive safely at such speeds, you need extensive training, adequate equipment (read car) and experience, which can only be gained in 'real world' driving. MOP do not need to exceed the speed limit - Emergency Service drivers need to, by the very nature of their job and role...thats why this speed exemption exists because people recognise the need for them to get 'there' as fast AND as safely as possible.

Unless you'd like to argue that if a MOP has a firearms certificate, has received appropriatew training, that they should be allowed to carry a holstered firearm when in Public just because the Police can?

Of course not. The same goes here. The advanced Driving is ONE part of the jigsaw.

-----
The reporter on radio 4 just described the 3 litre vectra as a beast of a machine, capable of doing up to 70mph in 2nd gear.

What?

My Passat can manage 65 in 2nd, and I wouldn't call that a beast.

So next time we're out "testing out" our new cars, and we get pulled, we will all be let off without even being reported? No doubt that rule will come in once all police have been issued with personal jetpacks, so that they can fly between shouts.
I see from the BBC report that he is also a firearms officer.

Let's hope he doesn't decide to go out at night to hone his other skills.
>>Let's hope he doesn't decide to go out at night to hone his other skills.

Actually I rather hope he does. Better that than find out the first time he does it for real that he's not actually very good at it.
>>we will all be let off without even being reported?

Oh I misunderstood. I thought this guy had been reported. Actually I thought he had even gone to court. Obviously I was mistaken.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - A. Badger
Surely, if he wanted to assess his car at this sort of speed, the proper place would have been on a test track?

Had he done this in an emergency, that would be one thing. As it is, he should have suffered the same sort of penalty any of us would have faced.

This isn't the first time a police driver has got away with a flagrant breach of speeding laws and it's time it was stopped.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - thallium81
By and large the UK police officer of the 21st century is a legalized, uniformed thug whose senior officer believes he is either an extension to the social services or a wet nurse to petty criminals.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Pugugly {P}
By and large the UK police officer of the 21st century is a legalized, uniformed thug whose senior officer believes he is either an extension to the social services or a wet nurse to petty criminals.

Yawn. You should get out amongst them sometimes to see how thoroughly professional most of them are. I have worked around them for 25 years now, the precision of decision making and dynamic risk assesments that these people do under daily extreme circumstances has to be seen to be believed, I feel humbled at times....I genuinely do.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - school boy
I've checked, vectras can't go that fast even unladen.
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Dynamic Dave
I've checked, vectras can't go that fast even unladen.

You should try harder instead of trolling then.

The Vectra GSi, according to Vauxhall's website, can do 154 mph. Having owned various Vauxhall's for some 20 yrs now, they've always gone faster than the manufacturers quoted max speed.

Even if the Vectra GSi, as quoted by Vauxhall, can *only* manage 154 mph flat out, it only needs a slight incline to increase that speed by a few mph.

snipurl.com/ezha
The Vectra GSi, according to Vauxhall's website, can do 154 mph.

>>
A problem identified on this car when tested under Police usage is that it has a tendancy for the traction control to kick in under high speed reverse manouvering, even when it has been switched off from within the console. Under 'normal' driving in reverse it wouldn't matter, but at high speed reversing and such manouvers, it is a problem.

-----
New speed limit for "good" drivers - Bromptonaut
My first thought was an maverick decision from a bench of dyed in the wool "copperphile" lay magistrates. But the report clearly refers to the District Judge which, IIRC, is what we now call legally qualified stipes. So after hearing all the evidence a judge acquited.

I'd guess the prosecution screwed up somewhere and that the officer responsible will have a "difficult" interview standing on his bosses carpet. Jacket on, no tea and biccies!!!
New speed limit for "good" drivers - mjm
I've just seen the news report on TV. This guy was out playing with a new toy. 80+ in a 30 limit, 159 in a 70 limit, is this responsible behavior?
He is also a firearms officer. If he was given a new firearm would he expect to go out and "practice" with it in public? Probably not. Therefore why "practice"high speed control of a car in public? We have come to expect stupid decisions and statements from judges, this case is just another example of it.
New speed limit for - Dynamic Dave
is this responsible behavior?

Probably not, but he did it in the early hours of the morning. All the schools were shut, and the roads were probably very quiet.

In my yoof, before speed cameras began breeding, I used to tank up and down the A34 and M4 in the early hours of the morning at irrational speeds. Apart from passing the occasional artic I hardly saw any other traffic on the roads at that time of the morning.

At the end of the day, he didn't crash, or kill anyone apart from a few flies on his bumper and windscreen, so therefore how could he have been prosecuted for dangerous driving?
New speed limit for - mjm
80+ in a 30 limit built up area is not safe at any time unless you enlist the number of police in the response above. This country does not close at night, pedestrians, some possibly drunk and shift workers are about at all hours. I bet that at that speed he would not be able to react and stop within his visability distance. The 159 on the empty motorway proves nothing. It is by reading and reacting to the changing traffic flow and conditions that experience builds up, not going flat out down a wide empty road.

Not crashing or killing anyone doesn't make it safe driving. The element of luck was with him in the 30 limit, nothing more, nothing less.

In my yoof I did the same sort of thing as you, on the near empty local roads(no motorways then) but us lads always treated built up areas as no go fast areas.
New speed limit for - A. Badger
>>At the end of the day, he didn't crash, or kill anyone apart from a few flies on his bumper and windscreen, so therefore how could he have been prosecuted for dangerous driving?

In the same way that you or I would (however qualified) if we had used the same defence.

If the law on speeding is wrong (and I agree that it is) then it should be changed. Not just waived when the offender is a policeman.
why "practice"high speed control
of a car in public?

>>
Because there is no substitue for the 'real thing' in the sense of feeling the sensations of speed through the car as you hurtle down the lanes. Remember that he was driving on his patch/ within his Force area. He might be required to drive at speed along these very same roads and perhaps at much greater speed that you and I care to imagine. By knowing what is a safe speed on these roads will help build familairity and confidence when a shout happens for real.

-----
New speed limit for "good" drivers - A. Badger
ihpj>>>>>> "By knowing what is a safe speed on these roads will help build familairity and confidence when a shout happens for real."

This is a specious argument. If it held any water then he would have to have driven on all the roads in his territory at similar speeds. His claim was that he was testing his car's responses. That's what closed tracks are for.

I'm not a police basher (far from it)and this sort of thing
simply gives ammunition to those who are.
>>That's what closed tracks are for.

Thats exactly the point, test tracks cannot and do not give a real world experience - they are good for some testing but not for 'real world' driving - see HJs post below...

And yes, this sort of behaviour that can be misconstrued does not help the image of the Police. Sometimes we let ourselves down.

-----
New speed limit for "good" drivers - somebody
When this was discussed before, a police officer on this board said there was more to this case than met the eye.

Now it's over, would they be able to enlighten us as to what it is?
New speed limit for "good" drivers - thallium81
Pugugly, there are several other professions whose members live on the edge and need to make rapid life and death decisions. They don't have the luxury of flouting the law at the drop of a hat. Some of us get about more than you may imagine, but dont let the facts get in the way of a whitewash.
Pugugly, there are several other professions whose members live on the
edge

>>
But we're talking about driving and at speed. If those professions were thought worthy then they would be given an exemption in Law to exceed the speed limit.
They
don't have the luxury of flouting the law at the drop
of a hat.

>>
You cannot flout the Law when you have a legal exemption.

-----
New speed limit for "good" drivers - scotty
I don't normally like clichés - but ...

The price of freedom is eternal vigilence.

That means our police must be seen to be whiter than white in ALL they do. They serve us, the citizenry, not the other way round, and it is our job to ensure they do just that and behave themselves in an exemplorary manner. To that end their digressions MUST be treated harshly. That doesn't seem to be happening anymore and, IMHO, it's the start of greasy pole.

The police bashers on this site are rightly outraged by what they see and read on the news.
159 mph Police Driver - school boy
If any one else had done it they would have been stuck on,,,if what has been reported is completely true, there was no reason to go flat out, that was taking the mick.
159 mph Police Driver - frostbite
I am firmly in the 'indefensible' camp on this one.

For all the reasons stated above, plus the fact that most forces duck out of really high-speed car pursuits these days, and use a helicopter/light aircraft instead.
159 mph Police Driver - mjm
Sorry, HJ, in my opinion you still haven't proved your case. I have driven at over 130mph in 2 different vehicles, under 2 different conditions. In a straight line, with no steering input, what driver input is the car going to respond to? Wind direction in a straight line is at a constant angle. If the wind was gusty or uncertain then common sense says slow down.

To achieve an average of 140mph, in reality, needs a formula 1 car, not a Vectra. If he is expecting to do it on a motorway then I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone closer.
159 mph Police Driver - Blue {P}
To achieve an average of 140mph, in reality, needs a formula
1 car, not a Vectra. If he is expecting to do
it on a motorway then I find it hard to believe
that there isn't someone closer.

I'm not going to pretend to be a total expert in this field and quote figures, but with recent reductions in traffic Police numbers, yes, it is highly likely that an officer may be called to an incident 35 miles or even further away. They don't have dozens of Armed Response Vehicles driving around the force area, and they certainly don't have dozens of traffic cars.

Blue
159 mph Police Driver - school boy
The drivers get tougt to do this anyway,,if hew was being tought they are exempt from the speed limit.
159 mph Police Driver - pdc {P}
If this guy did nothing wrong, then how come his collegues, and therefore hopefully mates, saw fit to report him?

It's unfortunate that the case turned out as it did, as the public will see this as the police looking after their own, which they clearly didn't by reporting him. This was down to the courts, not the police.

If the police need somewhere to achieve such high speeds to gain experience of their vehicles, then why can't they close of the motorways at pre-notified times, like they do for things such as grass cutting, gutter cleaning, repairs etc?

Isn't that a common sense solution?
159 mph Police Driver - blue_haddock
If i remember correctly it was one of his senior officers who saw the tape and decided it would be the right thing to report him for the offences.
159 mph Police Driver - Kevin
A few questions here:

Does the exemption in law apply to (presumably unauthorised) test runs?

Are 160mph chases now so common that he really needs to "familiarise" himself with how a Vectra handles at this speed on a public road?

If the "creme de la creme" (siC) of police drivers is safe at these speeds, why were four of the worlds top rally drivers banned from driving (and 13 others fined) in 2003 solely on speed camera evidence?

I just hope that some enterprising brief will use this decision to argue that competence and conditions should be taken into consideration in speeding cases. It would be interesting to see the outcome.

Kevin...
159 mph Police Driver - Bromptonaut
This case is a one off mix of prosecution cock up and press misreporting. Whatever charges were laid, for reason x,y and z the DJ was not convinced, beyond reasonable doubt, that the prosecution could clear the hurdles required to prove the offences. That failure almost certainly relates to the very specific circs of the particular event concerned, the force's operating instructions and the defences allowed to speeding emergency services. Absolutely no conclusions can be drawn for the rest of us, even by the most enterprising brief.

Regrettably they cannot now charge him with some lesser offence, though a disciplinary may be his come uppance.

159 mph Police Driver - Cardew
The accused policeman felt he was justified in driving at those speeds.

His senior officer(s) felt such speeds constituted dangerous driving.

Had they decided to take internal disciplinary action there would have been accusations of a cover-up.

So the Police themselves instigated a prosecution.

Some policemen felt it wasn't dangerous and gave evidence in his defence.

The judge sided with the defence and acquitted him.

Whatever the merits of the judge's decision, it is patently nonsense to accuse the police of a whitewash, double standards etc etc, as the police hierarchy have clearly not condoned his behaviour.

So to all of you who have expressed your indignation and outrage at the judge's decision, please enlighten us with your views on what action should have been taken; and what should happen now.
159 mph Police Driver - whingingit
They now have the option of taking internal action. They cannot commence proceedings of any such nature until the conclusion of the criminal proceedings. I think they will be gunning for him, he has done a lot of damage.
159 mph Police Driver - maizey
if the policeman was on a "practice" run, and nothing can compare to the "real" thing, why didn't he do it during the daytime? with actual traffic about? wouldn't this have provided a proper test of the car's abilities and a more realistic experience?

if this officer pulled you over and questioned your driving or the speed that you were doing, would you find it hard not to laugh in his face?

personally, i don't mind him doing 159mph on the motorway. Infact i'd quite like to see that. but travelling at 80-odd mph in a built-up zone does sound like taking 'fun' driving a step too far. If some slow-witted pedestrian steps into that, he'd have turned them into mush.

i think if an officer can get away with speeding like that, then a lot of ordinary people should be allowed to get away with it too.
159 mph Police Driver - WhiteTruckMan
I do believe that if you want to hone a skill, then theres no substitute for practice. lots of it. but practice means training, with clear, defineable goals. I really dont believe this guy should have been doing what he did, alone, unsupervised. At the very least he should have got clearance from his superiors. beter still would have been to submit some form of route plan, with expected speeds on certain roads under certain conditions of traffic, visibility, weather etc, we arent talking about a skill like parallel parking, where you can putter away all day til you get it right. mistakes at these speeds can kill almost before you can say "oh sh-".

I'm sorry, but this guy just comes across as someone out for a late night 'burn', not a professional law enforcement officer.

WTM
159 mph Police Driver - hcm
the only thing i find sad about this story is that colleague(s) of the policeman in question decided it was necessary to drop him in it.

only in england would there be so many people on a forum ready to moan about double standards and discuss grey areas in such detail.

as 'private eye' might say; 'trained man drives fast car at fast speed in middle of night, gets grassed on and gets let off.'

ok, get over it.
159 mph Police Driver - v8man
>>only in england would there be so many people on a forum ready to moan about double standards and discuss grey areas in such detail.<<

What grey areas? He was exceeding the limit by a dangerous amount. This is not a grey area, it is breaking the law! Speed limits are absolute limits.

There is no defense for this speed. The tax payer has paid millions of pounds for helicopters so the police can chase idiots safely.

--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
159 mph Police Driver - Sofa Spud
Nobody vehicle should ever be travelling at 159 mph on a public highway.

Not even a police car responding to an emergency, not even a police car in pursuit.

And what if it's someone on their way to de-fuse a nuclear bomb?
If they travel at 159mph there's a strong chance they'll never arrive and the bomb goes off anyway.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

159 mph Police Driver - Imagos
oh! the arrogance of this officer, why didn't he plead guilty?

159 mph Police Driver - Fullchat
On this occasion I must agree with the critics and there are some well reasoned arguments.

159MPH is not fast its irresponsible. Any Advanced Police driver worth their salt can achieve these speeds if and only if they feel it is justified. Lets face it speeds of in excess of 100MPH are regularly and easily achieved in response situations and that alone should keep skill levels up. They are legally justifiable in law!

If there was a requirement to travel at that speed then Driver Training would be the place, not to have a 'burn up' for the sake of it for the purpose of some canteen machoism.

Fullchat
159 mph Police Driver - Avant
I agree with HJ and others about the need to test the car - and the officer's driving skills, for use in an emergency - but if it was going to be a useful exercise he should first have cleared it with a senior officer. Either it isn't useful, in which case the boss says No; or it is, in which case it's properly authorised and there will be no question of a prosecution.
159 mph Police Driver - cheddar
I am new to this thread though having scanned it I must say that for me Avant's last post sums up the situation perfectly.
159 mph Police Driver - No Do$h
I've used that motorway in the dead of night. In places it's arrow straight with no slip roads for miles and excellent visibility. I felt perfectly comfortable and well within the capabilities of my driving and my car at speeds of 120-130mph

Can't say I would feel the same at 80 in a built up area. I very much doubt anyone would.

That got me thinking. Much of the built up area around Telford involves wide open roads, retail zones, 40mph dual carriageway etc. Does anyone have details of the route taken, with speeds attained?

As for the assertion that 100mph+ is always too fast? What a pile of bull.
159 mph Police Driver - Badger
The issue is quite simple -- either this was a perfectly reasonable thing for a police driver to do, or it was not.

If it was, then why did his own peers and his boss take a different view, to the extent of prosecuting him? If it was not, then he was clearly guilty -- the facts are not in dispute, only the mitigating circumstances claimed -- and the judge made a perverse decision.

Either the police or the judge have some explaining to do
159 mph Police Driver - patently
The court heard the roads on which Pc Milton drove were
deserted at the time of the patrol and that driving
conditions were good.

OK - if I get pulled for speeding I'll try that one and let you all how far I get.

159 on the motorway is excusable in the circs. That bit of the M54 is perfectly safe at such speeds. I hope those that say 100 must always be unsafe never visit Germany. However, 80+ in a 30 is a completely different proposition - we'd be behind bars if we tried that.

What intrigues me is that this case is consistently reported at "the 159mph copper", when the higher risk was clearly the 80 in a 30. It really does seem that no-one knows the difference between speed and inappropriate speed.

In the end, Avant has spotted the crucial point. If this was necessary, it should have been organised properly.

Driving home last night with the radio on playing the report on this case I noticed I was 5-6 mph over the limit. There's never a policeman around to stop you when you want one, is there?
The issue is quite simple -- either this was a perfectly
reasonable thing for a police driver to do, or it was
not.
If it was, then why did his own peers and his
boss take a different view, to the extent of prosecuting him?
If it was not, then he was clearly guilty -- the
facts are not in dispute, only the mitigating circumstances claimed --
and the judge made a perverse decision.
Either the police or the judge have some explaining to do

Badger,
The issue is not simple.

Some police thought it was not reasonable behaviour, other police, including the accused, thought it was justified. Not really any different to the views expressed in this thread.

The judge agreed with the defence of justification.

So why is there any explaining to be done? Surely not by the police. Or should the judge have to explain his decision again, (that he agreed with the defence's argument) because you, and others, disagree with him.

Decisions made by our courts are often controversial when the defence is based on justified behaviour. The celebrated case of Tony Martin is a good example. He shot a burglar and claimed it was justified, the police disagreed and the court sided with the prosecution.(no discussion on this case please)
[nor] should the judge have to explain his decision again, (that he agreed with the defence's argument) because you, and others, disagree with him.

I did not say that I necessarily disagreed with him, Cardew. I feel, however that for him to accept a plea of justification when not just any old defence witness but the accused's employers, the owner and operator of the vehicle, said that there was no justification does need explaining. It is not unknown for a judge to do so after a controversial case.

If on the other hand things really are that simple, and this was -- as the judge seems to think -- normal and reasonable conduct then the police have to explain why the taxpayer has been put to all this expense over a purely internal matter.

Something about this case stinks.
If on the other hand things really are that simple, and
this was -- as the judge seems to think --
normal and reasonable conduct

Sorry Badger there is far too much supposition in that statement. On what grounds do you say the judge thought things were really that "simple" and "normal"?
Had he done so would he not have criticised the police for bringing a frivolous prosecution?
From what I have read it was a finely balanced argument.

My main interest in this matter is what I consider unjustified criticism of the police - the 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' argument I posted earlier.

Internal disciplinary proceedings are condemned as either a kangaroo court or a cover up. (enough threads in to Backroom on this.)

If they take matters to court and lose they are wasting public money.
On what grounds do you say the judge thought things were really that "simple" and "normal"?

Reasonable extrapolations from the fact that the judge cleared him of the charge. And do, please, stop attributing motives to my posts.
And do, please, stop attributing motives to my posts.

Sorry, Cardew. I misread your post, and withdraw this remark.
>> And do, please, stop attributing motives to my posts.
Sorry, Cardew. I misread your post, and withdraw this remark.

Badger,
I think we can all agree that an edit function in the Backroom would be nice.

An edit function on a police video camera would have been handy as well!!

C
Does anyone have details of the route taken, with
speeds attained?

Yes i do know the route he took and in my opinion (for which i am sure i will get flamed) on pretty much the whole route he took the roads are more than capable of taking the speeds he did.

The 30 zone that he did 80 in was until about 5 years ago a 60 (and part of the old A5) In my youth i have done over the 60 limit along there.

The M54 like you said is in a good state of repair, is a very quiet piece of road in the middle of the night and he would have good visibility on there.

two of the 60 roads that he did over 100 were the A41 and the A5 - again these roads fast flowing roads on which he's not the first person to do 3 figures and i'm sure he won't be the last.

They are also two of the main roads in and out of Telford and so they are the likely places where he would need to perform a high speed pursuit.
159 mph Police Driver - Lounge Lizard
How fast should a Police Traffic Officer drive from A to B?

The answer should be arrived at by a risk assessment process which compares the benefits of arriving earlier at point B to the costs of the increased driving speed.

Some of the benefits may include: saving the life of an injured person who might otherwise die without early first aid intervention, catching criminals who might otherwise escape from a crime scene, reducing the danger from a 'joy-rider' in a speeding stolen car who might otherwise 'joy-ride' for a longer period of time.

Some of the costs may include: exceeding the speed limit without being punished undermines public confidence in the Police because there is a perception of hypocrisy, increased risk of injury to the Police driver, increased risk of injury to other road users.

A risk management process would measure & compare these benefits & costs; AND find ways to diminish the risks/costs (which would include advanced driving training).

My conclusion is that, in this case, the issue is that there were inadequate formal institutional processes in place controlling fast driving training and this Police Driver has carried it out off his own bat without carrying out a risk management process.

The sheer number of posts in such a short time on this thread does rather show the strength of feeling on this, I think.

It's the hypocrisy of the system that hurts - automated enforcement bans us for four instances of 36 in a 30, with no discretion for the circumstances, but he is allowed to drive at 80+ in a 30.

And whatever that 30 limit used to be, it's now a 30 and applies to the rest of us, if not to him.
A comment in this morning's Metro attributed to the judge can be paraphrased as follows:

West Mercia Police don't have a policy on this sort of driving. Not one for it and not one against it. This is not acceptable and is a failing on the part of the local police authority, not on the part of the officer. Given the total lack of guidance on the matter he made an assessment and did what he felt was necessary.

As BH as pointed out, the roads in question (and I know the ones he's referring to) are more than capable of supporting the speeds attained. The recent imposition of a 30 on one of them is an attempt to control and limit accidents that almost invariable were happening during peak hours. Due to the lack of variable speedlimits in the UK (M25 aside) the blunt weapon of blanket speed reduction is applied.

Given the route and my experience of the roads I no longer have any reservations about the speeds, given the nature of the car, level of training and ability of the driver to assess suitable and appropriate speeds for purpose.

West Merci PA must address their shortcomings in having no policy on driver training and vehicle assessment outside of the constraints of initial licensing.
159 mph Police Driver - Adam {P}
At first, I was unsure which side of the fence to be on with this but now I am.

As many people have said, "100mph is too dangerous on any road".

As more people have said, "Absolute Rubbish." I couldn't agree more. You can't just say 100 mph is too dangerous on any road. There are plenty of roads around here where even 120 isn't "dangerous" per se. I'm talking about the dead of night, on a motorway where you can see the end, and also, that there are no cars on it whatsoever.

I'm not saying the motorway limit should be 120 by any means. I'm just saying, it's easy to bandy about blanket statements about speed isn't it?

Now, I don't believe the rubbish that cop came out with about "testing the car". That excuse doesn't work for me ;-) However, he was a trained driver, and if anyone's "safe" driving at that speed, it's him. I will point out again that I'm not condoning it. Nor am I condemning it.

Let's look at the facts. Did he kill anyone? No. Did he hurt anyone? No. Was he silly? Probably - moreso for filming it than anything else.

And of course the inescapable fact that he's been found not guilty, and essentially got off with it. No amount of "He was dangerous" is going to change that.

--
Adam
159 mph Police Driver - Adam {P}
Having read that, I am very definitely still on the fence by the looks of things. Oh well.
--
Adam
159 mph Police Driver - Dynamic Dave
For those of you that are arguing 80mph in a 30mph speed limit is too fast.

Nowhere in this thread have I read that for how long was he driving at 80mph. Was it a quick blast, or was it over a 5 mile distance?

If it was only a quick blast, then you could argue he was testing the acceleration of the vehicle. OK he could have done that elsewhere, but don't forget he was driving a high performance car with over 200 bhp that can accelerate from 0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. I imagine the 0 to 80 time would be somewhere ITRO 10 seconds.

Before we all start getting prissy and patronising, we need to hear the full facts of this case.
Nowhere in this thread have I read that for how long
was he driving at 80mph. Was it a quick blast, or
was it over a 5 mile distance?

It was between a series of islands - probably about a mile between each one so yes it would be a blast up to 80 then hard on the anchors for the brakes
159 mph Police Driver - greenhey
So the judge said he wsn't speeding - well, clearly he was . It would help the credibility of these things if they would express it right- he WAS speeding, but the judge decided there were alleviating circumstances .
Unfortunately, however good a driver he is, at this speed a minor distraction, flat tyre , object thrown up from the road, mechanical failiure ,could have caused him to lose control and with other road users about he would not have had enough time to recover without harm to others .Sure that could happen if they drove at this speed enroute to an emergency, but you could at least argue there was a "greater good".
If he was reported by his own force, irrespective of the court judgment the force could still apply disciplinary action to him.
As this story stands it will only encourage the sadly large number of arrogant, but far less trained, professional and responsible drivers who see the speed limits as either not applying to them, or a game to be played. On an average motorway journey, where I would usually be at 75-80, I am passed at least every minute by people doing 20 mph or more than me, even in heavy traffic .We have to get over the idea that motorists in this country are somehow persecuted - the evidence is otherwise.
So the judge said he wsn't speeding - well, clearly he
was . It would help the credibility of these things if
they would express it right- he WAS speeding, but the judge
decided there were alleviating circumstances .
Unfortunately, however good a driver he is, at this speed a
minor distraction, flat tyre , object thrown up from the road,
mechanical failiure ,could have caused him to lose control and with
other road users about he would not have had enough time
to recover without harm to others

Yes, but there weren't any other road users about for him to cause harm to.

I'm sure the judge would have ruled differently if he had tested his car at rush hour, but he didn't.

Blue
159 mph Police Driver - cjehuk
I agree the real risk is 80mph in a restricted limit, but with Blue Haddock's explanation of where this happened I also realise exactly why he'd want to do that. Also it would seem this stretch of road is straight and the hazards are obvious. It's folly to assume that because a road is a 30mph limit children will appear from behind trees just because the signs say so. I can think of many stretches of 30-40mph road (Surrey's blanket 40 limit comes to mind) where you can see half a mile or more ahead of you, are you seriously telling me that somebody trained in advanced driving could not shave their speed in that time/distance
in a car with brakes that are superior to its acceleration? Somebody who is looking continuously at hazards, somebody whose job is assessing hazards before they even appear is safer at double the speed limit than some drivers at less than the speed limit. I support the verdict completely.

Chris
159 mph Police Driver - Oz
Why wasn't the trial (1) authorised in advance, (2) conducted on a track rather than a public road?
If avoidance of other (possibly less well disciplined) traffic is one of the criteria, why not go to the Nürburgring?
God help any poor soul on the M54 pootling along at 70-90mph, when around the bend comes Plod in his 159mph racer.
Oz (as was)
As has already been discussed, there are no tracks that accurately simulate driving at these sorts of speeds. I've had very limited track expereince, but what I have had showed me that you just can't replicate real road driving conditions on one, despite that actually being the whole object of the day I was attending.

Not that there isn't a place for them, I had quite a good crash in an Astra on my last track day, certainly had me and the instructor nipping the seat, it was a right laugh, thoroughly enjoyed myself. There's nothing like crashing someone else's car and knowing you don't have to pay for it :-)

Blue
159 mph Police Driver - Altea Ego
I really really wish we had the full story here.
That he did what he did is beyond dispute. That the judge has found him not guilty is a matter of record.

Whats missing is why, why did he do it? (the trying out answer is carp) why was it filmed, why was it brought to prosecution, why did some of his colleagues act as defence, some as prosecution witnesses, what was happening in the west mercia police canteen to get to this stage and I wonder what the atmosphere is like there now?

159 mph Police Driver - Brad
Just arrived through the post today so I'll have my little moan before the moderators move me on.

NIP for doing 58mph on a 50 limit stretch. 2027 in the evening, dry, clear, dual carraigeway with no residential property nearby just green fields. Carriageways separated by 30m wide area of grass. No other cars around, Mobile camera hidden somewhere, no flash.

Makes you wonder...

159 mph Police Driver - Ex-Moderator
>>Makes you wonder...

Things like, if you didn't see the camera then what else did you not see or might you have not seen ?

Its not that difficult to miss seeing them until you're close, or even past, but to miss it altogether ? Perhaps the visibility wasn't quite as good as you thought ?
159 mph Police Driver - David Horn
Well, it's not as if you could see and react to anything at 170mph. Also, if it's plonked on a bridge or something, I imagine it's very easy to miss. How many people look at bridges as they drive under them?
159 mph Police Driver - AK76
hang on a mo. He was cleared of Dangerous Driving. So are arguing that he was driving dangerously or just to fast?

Regards dangerous driving then he's not guilty.If he was in control, and within his limits then no. And so the judge thought so.

guilty of speeding is a different matter.
How many people look at bridges as they drive under them?

::tentatively raises hand::

Erm, I do. We had a spate of "Bridge Brickings" on roads and motorways I use throughout the South a couple of years back. Since then I've made a point of casting my eye over bridges as I approach.

I also scan sliproads as I approach, am alongside and pass them, watching for everything from SuperRep (tm) hurtling out at some daft speed and angle to assume his/her rightful place in lane 3 to suspiciously parked Octavia RS and little black boxes on tripods.

Might have a connection with my clean licence, despite my enthusiastic approach to driving. Simply assuming an empty road is a safe one to blast along is a false premise. You have to continually ensure it remains clear and safe.
There is no "might" about it. I have a clean license BECAUSE I look at bridges. Because I observe all the time while driving, I see the favourite spots were plod and kodaks like to hang out, I know where they are likely to be (even given a road I dont know) because they are creatures of habit and little creativity are our little policemen bless them.
159 mph Police Driver - Thommo
It is all a little curious.

His superiors did indeed prosecute him, probably because he videod himself and they could not be sure that a copy of the video would not leak out and then if he hadn't been prosecuted all hell would have broken loose.

I am not suprised that the magistrate let him off. Its like the Chief Constables driver getting done for speeding, you know he's going to get let off. I am willing to bet I have had more advanced driver training than him, not to mention high speed experience on tracks, but if I was caught then it would be chokey for me. Just another incident that brings the law that little bit further in to disrepute.

Finally the 'getting to incidents fast and saving lives' bit just doesn't wash any more. The police may get near to potentially violent incidents quickly but they then set up a perimeter and do a risk assessment and do not go further until they are sure there is no risk to themselves. They also stop ambulance crews from proceeding. So I would rather they didn't speed around killing 30+ a year in London alone as when they get there they are pretty much useless anyway.
I too scan bridges as I approach them. Cameras on motorway bridges are a Northamptonshire favourite now plus as No Dosh says kids standing on the bridge now make me very nervous...
159 mph Police Driver - midlifecrisis
OK. There have been valid posts here, but also some downright offensive ones. I am not a 'uniformed thug' nor do I 'get near and set up a perimeter'. I could say much more, but it isn't relevant and would only be addressed towards those who display such ignorance.

Fact1:- Top speed was 138mph. Car was brand new and video had not been calibrated. Data recorder in vehicle accurately recorded max speed, press chose to ignore this fact.

Fact2:- Officer did not work on the unit this vehicle was allocated too. He took it upon himself to take it out.

Fact3:- Video was discovered by day shift and given to supervisor.

Fact4:- I have never known any other officer who drives at such speeds in order to 'test' the vehicle.

Fact5:- widespread disbelief at verdict and recognition that this will have adverse effect on publics attitude.

Fact6:- Senior Officers blew the case with their unbelievable ineptness and contradictions in court.

Fact 7;_ We'll still get on and do the job regardless.

Have a nice day!!
159 mph Police Driver - borasport20
Thanks for that MLC - I think you're as near the horses mouth as we are likely to get.

Don't know about you, but I find the polarisation of attitudes on the matter a bit depressing

159 mph Police Driver - TimW
Can't argue with that, nice to have an 'inside' opinion.

So basically he nicked the keys and took it out for a jolly.
159 mph Police Driver - cheddar
Fact2:- Officer did not work on the unit this vehicle was
allocated too. He took it upon himself to take it out.

Was he even insured then?
Fact5:- widespread disbelief at verdict and recognition that this will have
adverse effect on publics attitude.

Ooooooohhh yes.
Fact 7;_ We'll still get on and do the job regardless.

Glad to hear it. Best wishes.
Mlf,

You may not like what I posted but I am sure your aware of the case I am obliquely refering to and no it is not an isolated incident what happened is all as per operational guidelines that are still in force.

As we are getting off motoring I will leave it there.
159 mph Police Driver - defender
the whole case is totaly daft .if he had any authorisation for driving at this speed would a risk assesment not have to be made by his superiors leaving them open to prosecution by the health and safety executive in the event of something going wrong(the police are not above this but that is a differant case).of course police have to learn to drive fast but it is reasonable for this to be in marked cars on predesignated routes.
159 mph Police Driver - Obsolete
A couple of comments.

Someone said that about 30 people a year die due to police cars 'speeding'. True, but the vast majority are joy riders who lose control. Not PC, but I think that is Darwinian evolution in action. ACPO have expressed their concern at the deaths.

Someone objected to the police speeding when we can't. I do object to normal police speeding as they are (I believe) not trained to advanced driving standards. Properly trained police drivers are something different, and mostly they are expert drivers, who can judge safe speeds, which might exceed the limits.

The issue here IMO is not the speeding, but whether or not the speed was dangerous given conditions, vehicle and driver's skill level. I worry more about the 80 in a 30 than the ~160 in a 70. What if there had been a cyclist without lights, or someone pulling out from a side road without looking.

I watchout for local police cars when they in a hurry, and most of the drivers are obviously skilled. But I did see two race across a T junction at might through a red light, and that worried me. Presumably these were not traffic police.

Leif
159 mph Police Driver - tunacat
Bottom line for me is:

If he legitimately needs to 'practice', and it's acceptable that this involves doing 84mph on a road that has been deemed 'hazardous enough' that the rest of us should be prosecuted for doing 35mph on it, why is it also acceptable that it can be carried out in an unmarked car?

I don't care if it was the dead of night: On a public road, any member of the public *could* have legitimately pulled out from a side road around a bend ahead of him. This kind of practice ought to be illegal unless carried out in a mechanically-identical car with full police livery and better-than-blackpool flashing lights.

159 mph Police Driver - stevied
I agree that you should and will carry on doing the job regardless, and indeed I am glad! I think people are being "offensive" because the whole thing reeks of cock-up.... unfortunately, MCL, the actions of your colleagues and peers will impact on the whole force. People are becoming more and more resentful of the police, wrongly in my opinion, but a few bad eggs making the headlines like this makes your already difficult job more difficult. And I wish people would understand it was the CPS, NOT the police that acquitted him!
And I wish people would understand it was the CPS, NOT
the police that acquitted him!

Most do realise that.

However any chance to 'knock' the police will not be missed.
There is a wider discussion to be had (though probably not on here) as to why we have gone from absolute respect for the police to absolute contempt in less than 20 years and there may be many factors to explain it but I truely believe that Tax Cameras have played a major part in this. The full extent of the public relations disaster of these devices may never be really understood as no one will research it but it is there.
There is a wider discussion to be had (though probably not
on here) as to why we have gone from absolute respect
for the police to absolute contempt in less than 20 years

"we"? "absolute contempt"?

You couldn't have illustrated my point about knocking the police better Thommo.

159 mph Police Driver - Fullchat
MLC I take that that as support for my condemnation of our colleague.

Police Driver Training is quite specific in its guidelines whilst under training - and that is that speed limits WILL be adhered to other than the national limits ie 60 and 70 MPH on the prescried roads. And then progress can be made in a safe manner. Therefore those guidelines have been broken although he was not under 'training' at the time. These are the basic parameters and guidelines that should be stuck to in the abscence of a policy or practice direction

It has been argued that the road was deserted during the night and therefore it was safe to do 159MPH. There are no standard fit headlights on earth that can safely accomodate that speed. He would have been driving almost into a black hole between hard shoulder and Armco unable to react to any debris or animal that chose to stray onto the quiet motorway. A daylight 'burn' would have been safer. A point possibly overlooked "me lud".

MLC states the car was brand new and uncalibrated. How new? Was it run in? Was everything bedded in and secure.

I am sure Vauxhall have invested millions of £ into 'Testing' of their product and it has a clean bill of health.

Sorry on this occasion I cannot support.

Fullchat
159 mph Police Driver - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think the police are on a loser whatever they do! 30+ forms and 2 hours in the station for a simple arrest of some minor criminal. You can't guarantee any real investigation into a £5000 burglary, just a crime number and a "Dear Victim" letter from Victim Support. Yet, last week, my local paper reported an armed response unit, a police dog unit, and 6 cars turned out for a mentally confused 77 year old, indoors and waving a carving a knife about. Overall police are good people trying to a B awful job; they are not led - they are managed and they have to do ludicrous things in ludicrous ways to meet "performance indicators" - targets to those of us who live in the real world! They are not helped by the miniscule percentage of their members who do widely publicised stupid things. My locals bugged the cells in which some accused were in conference with their defence lawyers; just today a policeman has been suspended for allegedly racially abusing a Kurd whom he was cautioning/arresting. This is bad but policemen are not.
159 mph Police Driver - Armitage Shanks {p}
Qoute from earlier in the thread

"Only in England would there be so many people on a forum ready to moan about double standards and discuss grey areas in such detail."

We have fought Wars to preserve and exercise the right to comment and discuss double standards without the fear of having our doors kicked in and being arrested by the thought police, as in the old days East of the Iron Curtain. Grey areas need discussing as it might help them to be resolved into something near black or white IMHO!
I have no wish to start anecdotal stuff about police failings, but we are less than human if our feelings are not affected by our own experience.

Some months ago, a bullet came through a window pane of Badger Towers. Had Lady Badger been standing where she was a minute before, she would have been hit in the head.

I phoned the police -- the way you do when someone is taking potshots at the house. They responded by sending an officer, 24 hours later, to the wrong address -- I discovered that only when a neighbour, after a further 24 hours, gave me a card that the copper had shoved through his letter box.

Forgive me if I am 'knocking the police', when I say that I am less than impressed by the justification that speeds of 159mph somehow have a place in things today.
159 mph... or 138mph...? Police Driver - neil
Mods... There is, I believe, a policy of not 'naming and shaming' on this site. I do not know enough about this case to decide whether the actions of the officer were IN MY OPINION justified. However, bearing in mind that a Judge has found as FACT that he was not driving dangerously and that as FACT that he was entitled in the circumstances to use his lawful exemption from the speed limit, some of the accusations which appear in the thread - inter alia, dangerous driving, 'speeding' (by which presumably is meant exceeding a speed limit, to which in in the circumstances the judge found he was not subject) and even taking without consent - appear to be defamatory rather than fair comment.

Bearing in mind some of the better informed contributions - the black box having recorded 138, not an uncalibrated 159 mph (and probably proportionately less in the other reported speeds); the fact that the '30 limit' was a road which used to be a 60 limit... is this hysteria fair?

Ultimately, if for example the cop normnally drives, at work, an S60 T5 - or a 530D - but recognises that he may have occasion to use this very different car (a beast? I think not - except in respect of the comedy indicators, or perhaps a mythical beast! Surely there is no 3 litre Vectra, they're 3.2... and they feel slower than the old Cavalier V6) he could quite rightly have taken the view that he should familiarise himself with the characteristics of the car at speed before having to drive it at those speeds in a real emergency? If he hadn't, and had crashed whilst attending an emergency or a pursuit, and his lack of familiarity with that type of car at speed had been discovered, would he not have been equally, but perhaps more correctly, crucified? The exemptions do NOT allow dangerous driving, and with the benefit of viewing a video of the drive, a judge has decided this wasn't. The exemption does include where it would 'hinder the use to which a vehicle used for police purposes is being put' ... which would seem to include such a case, as the judge has agreed. If you don't like that law, perhaps campaign to get it changed...but why criticise the cop, who has received the backing of a judge?

HJ is spot on, on this one!

Neil
159 mph... or 138mph...? Police Driver - Badger
. . . some of the accusations which appear in the thread - . . appear to be defamatory rather than fair comment.

It is not defamatory to suggest that a judge is human, and therefore fallible, or that he should explain his reasoning on a controversial case more fully.

Indeed, Badger. As I mentioned before, the perception of police, which frustratingly for them is only caused by a minority of policemen, is that they are arrogant and think they are above the law. Were I of a more hot-headed mien, I could come up with many examples of why I could think this: i) I sent a letter to our local police complaining about their lack of any response to mine and my neighbour's reports of "chav collectives" on our local car parks, and received back an unfeasibly arrogant letter from the chief constable questioning my right to question any aspect of police operations.. seeing as I help pay, I think I have a say? ii) I once saw a police officer go the wrong way down a supermarket lane in the car park and, 99% tongue-in-cheek, said something to him when he came in the shop, only to receive a sarcastic "well, I'll bear that in mind as it's SO important"... if I had done it, I would no doubt have received a lecture! However, I do NOT in general have an anti-police feeling as good evidence outweighs bad.. for the record, an attempted break-in at my house recently was reported by a neighbour, and the police turned up, went in my house, tidied up the mess caused AND found my work address and rang me! As Badger says, feelings are affected by experience, and this simple act of kindness above and beyond "duty" was much appreciated by a very stressed-out almost-burglary sufferer!
NOTHING to do with speeding at all, I know... but what's important is that ALL of the actions of the police affect our perception of them... that's just the way it is.
In placing my last post above that by stevied, I may have given the impression that his opening words approve my point. In fact my post is timed after his.
Thanks Badger for that! However, I DO agree with you completely anyway, so no worries there! It is a shame if the peasants feel that they can't question a decision or judgement by the juduciary. I think this country suffers from a strange oxymoronic view of life: we have the "Trisha" folk who think that the law is something contemptible and they have NO regard for it at all, and treat the judicial system with contempt, and then people, usually d'un certain age and lower middle-class, who think that there is some higher being that makes laws and that, by definition, the police and the judicial system are beyond reproach. Somewhere in-between are lively, intelligent funksters like us who take advantage of the democratic right to free speech. Before you mock, be glad you don't live somewhere where you CANNOT do that!
159 mph Police Driver - Mondaywoe
I take on board the need for police drivers to practise their skills etc - but - after nearly 30 years of conviction / accident free driving I was caught doing 41mph in a 30 mph speed limit about 6 years ago. Clear road - not a person in sight (apart from 2 policemen hiding behind a wall with a speed gun.)

This cost me 3 penalty points, a £40 fine and several years of higher insurance premiums - and because I still haven't had my licence 'cleaned' by DVLC it will also cost me a further fee for a new licence.

Now I'm not arguing for a moment that I wasn't 'breaking the law' - of course I was, but at the time, I was driving in an entirely safe and responsible manner, given the road conditions.

I can't agree that this policeman was doing that - yet he got off scot free.

On a slightly different tack, I came home from work tonight behind a tractor and (overloaded) trailer. He drove at 25mph for 15 miles with 13 cars behind him - despite the fact that there were empty lay byes etc that he could have pulled into to clear the backlog. I was 3 cars behind him. Eventually a chance to pass came - the 2 cars in front of me pulled out and passed. I decided that there wasn't a safe enough gap for me to follow suit, but a 4X4 behind me stormed past - and narrowly missed an oncoming car. Yes - it was still his responsibiity to make sure the road was clear, but there was a natural frustration caused by the tractor driver's blatant lack of road manners.

I would have taken his number - but of course he didn't have a number plate on the back of the trailer..........Lights would also have been a unnecessary luxury.But what the heck? If he didn't have an indicator to show he was turning right and turned right across your bows that wouldn't be too serious - would it?

My point is that speed in itself is not necessarily a danger - going too slowly can be every bit as bad. If the police want us to accept that their 'practice' driving is safe then they must also start being realistic about 'moderate speeding' in the context of a safe and responsible driver, who is simply using common sense and good manners - AND they hould act in cases where drivers are driving so slowly they are causing an obstruction and consequent frustration.

Sorry about that rant/ramble!

Graeme

159 mph Police Driver - ihpj
Now I'm not arguing for a moment that I wasn't 'breaking
the law' - of course I was, but at the time,
I was driving in an entirely safe and responsible manner, given
the road conditions.

But you don't have a legal exemption in law to exceed the speed limit, whether or not you are an Advanced Driver or not. You, when driving your own car or a hire car or any other car *must* adhere to the speed limit at *all* times - while emergency service drivers, whilst engaged in 'Job Time', do have the exemption.

-----
159 mph Police Driver - machika
I was alongside a police car today, navigating an island. We were both in straight-on lanes (he being on my offside). Suddenly he decided to turn right, crossing a solid white line at the same time. I am not even sure if he indicated to move over.

The fact is that members of the public shouldn't have to accept that the police can drive in a manner which would not be accepted if you or I did it. An emergency is a different matter but even then we expect warning lights and sirens.

As far as 80 mph in a built up area is concerned, that is just plain crazy. How can anyone assume that there would be nobody about, whatever time of day it might be?
The fact remains that since he wasn't on an emergency call, he was obligated to stick to the rules of the road. The cameras clearly show him breaking the speed limit. Whether it's dangerous driving or no, he's broken the law. Why hasn't he been convicted?

You can't have one rule for someone and another for everyone else.

159 mph Police Driver - mjm
The fact that someone doesn't have a legal exemption doesn't excuse them. It also doesn't stop them, and others questioning the use of it. From one of the posts above it becomes clear that there was more to this than meets the eye. It does raise the issue of whether the exemption should be withdrawn in certain cases.

I would suggest that for a majority of people the only dealings which they have with the police are either when a NIP arrives through the letterbox or when they are given a crime number over the phone, knowing full well that in both cases any further contact is futile.
Then a case like this occurs and respect for the police drops even further.

HJ, you are correct, I have little experience of driving saloons at extremely high speeds. There is nowhere in this country to legally do it under realistic conditions.

159 mph Police Driver - BobbyG
Having read all the posts so far, and taken a couple of days to think this over, my tuppence worth is that the guy should have been punished. For whatever reason, he hasn't. Some papers state that the Judge was quite scathing in his summing up.

I would hate to think that any of the people on this thread who are defending him, would still have defended him if he had hit and killed someone whilst doing this.

But as has been stated already , there seems to be more to this than meets the eye. ie why did the CPS not manage to secure a successful prosecution?

But, thankfully he never maimed or killed himself or anyone else and we should just be grateful for that and try and forget about it.

However, whether the press reporting is accurate or not, as we all know by now, facts just get in the way of a good story. And the story here is one rule for the police, and another, quite different rule for everyone else. And that in itself will take years to overcome, if at all.

159 mph Police Driver - v8man
>>Makes you wonder...
Things like, if you didn't see the camera then what else
did you not see or might you have not seen ?
Its not that difficult to miss seeing them until you're close,
or even past, but to miss it altogether ? Perhaps the
visibility wasn't quite as good as you thought ?

Yet another one of your patronising posts Mark. The camera vans in Eastbourne hide on used car forcourts and behind the Tesco hoardings. So please get your facts right before criticising backroomers.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
159 mph Police Driver - whingingit
There are a few points I would like to make on this subject.
but before I do.....

1) I am an advanced grade driver with the same force
2) I have no axe to grind

and now the points.
I am disgusted by the judges decision,but thats typical of the crap judicial system we have in this country.I am disgusted that the west mercia driver training school helped to defend the PC. There is not now, has never been in the past nor would I hope be at any point in the future an allowance implied or not for police advanced drivers to practise their skills on the public roads. Other than when being taught on courses. As with all other skills required to be a good police officer, it is simply a case of refining ones skills on the job. I would suggest to the officers management that if he is not being utilised enough in his capacity as an advanced driver, so much so that he feels he needs to practise rather than lose his skill level, then there is clearly no need to have an officer in the role. I would like to calrify one point, the PC is not a "traffic officer" he is unfortunately, like many advanced drivers in the police today, simply an advanced driver given a big powerfull vehicle.

A proper traffic officer would never have been so irresponsible, for one simple reason, they like myself would of scraped so many people up into body bags. HAd to knock on some poor unfortunates door and had to deliver the message that a loved one had been needlessly killed that they would never, never risk their own lives, let alone anybody elses in such a selfish manner. No matter how good the driver, no matter how good the car, no matter how perfect the conditions....something could of gone wrong a blowout would certainly have resulted in a serious collision.

I would strongly suggest to that officer that he considers his future, perhaps he is not as clever as he thinks. He has lost the respect of the majority of his peers. It would be better if he resigned. He has damaged the reputation of traffic officers the countrywide. I am ashamed to be associated with him.
159 mph Police Driver - Ex-Moderator
I doubt that any more than that, and certainly nothing more pertinent than that, is going to be said.

I give you warning that come tomorrow morning this thread will be locked as I feel it has gone as far as it is likely to.
"I feel it has gone as far as it is likely to."

and as this is reply 155, likely to have gone further than the aforementioned joyrider, which people who know seem to imply.
159 mph Police Driver - PhilW
Very interesting thread with some really well considered and argued contributions - as for myself, I am rather on the fence about the rights and wrongs, feeling that any judgement I make would be based on incomplete information though I have been swayed this way and that by some arguments above.
What is the worst aspect of the case is that Wingingit feels compelled to say "He has damaged the reputation of traffic officers the countrywide. I am ashamed to be associated with him"
Pity, because IMHO the vast majority of the police do a great job under a lot of pressure.
159 mph Police Driver - WhiteTruckMan
I would strongly suggest to that officer that he considers his
future, perhaps he is not as clever as he thinks. He
has lost the respect of the majority of his peers. It
would be better if he resigned. He has damaged the reputation
of traffic officers the countrywide. I am ashamed to be associated
with him.

Well said! I think though, that management has a role to play in all this. Perhaps, instead of facing the sack or being forced to resign this officer spend the next 12 months back on foot patrol. this should give him time to ponder his conduct in this matter

WTM
159 mph Police Driver - Sofa Spud
I posted earlier saying that doing 159mph was crazy on a public highway and I stick by that.

I agree that on a totally clear, straight motorway in the dry, in a suitable car with a skilled driver, 159 mph might be technically safe. But one can't go on from there to say it should be allowed. You can't have a motoring law that says there is a speed limit of XX mph unless the road is totally clear and you're driving the right kind of car.

Germany is the only country in the world that has any motorways with no speed limit. I've never been to Germamy but I've spoken to people who say how scary the autobahns can be. They say how you can be driving along at 70-80 mph and have cars tailgating you after they've braked sharply from 140 mph.

My dad used to work in the motor industry and used to travel on the 'Continent' as it used to be called. He drove some fast cars in his time (he regularly used to top 100mph, even on single carriageways, before the 70 limit came in in the mid 60's), but he used to say how the autobahns were lethal because of the crazy speeds. He would talk of seeing accidents with bits of cars scattered in the treetops.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
159 mph Police Driver - Leon on Derv
I hold all off you in the utmost esteem when it comes to "pure" motoring advise and issues about cars, but I can barely believe some of the stuff I read on here about the more "emotive" motoring issues...

I have been around long enough to appreciate there are always three sides to every court hearing. The prosecution, the defence and somewhere in between the truth.

There were only two things which struck me when I saw this reported on the news, first was the reported speed, nice advert for Vauxhall, family saloon with a top speed of 159Mph, secondly (and this is only a personal opinion) I thought the defendant appeared slightly cocky / arrogant when approached by the press outside the court. I know nothing more about the facts than what the press have reported, however he did make a comment to the waiting media that they should speak with his inspector?? From the tone of his voice I felt he was trying to make a point or score a points (not penalty points!!!) or something.

He maybe foolish, he may be irresponsible, he maybe a show off, but the courts have cleared him of the charges brought against him, but I wonder what thoughts are going through his mind right now, who's wanting to pair up with him for the next shout?

As whingingit (that is his / her forum name) has mentioned, a first hand encounter with the smashed up bodies from a high speed RTC strangley takes the fun out of stacking up the miles per hour on public roads.

Leon
I believe the car was modified to achieve 165mph. Wonder what his speedo was reading at the time, but as someone has already said, the camera wasn't calibrated and the top speed was closer to 135.