Rover 414 si 96-N - reevsie
My rubbish car seems to be playing up. Its an occasional fault that appears with increasing regularity. Sometimes when I accelerate it can be very hesistant, equally when I lift off the accelerator it hesitates or I can feel the car overunning. Also when I slow to a halt the revs sometimes stay at 1500rpm for a while before returning to 900rpm. Has anyone had similar problems and does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I did take it to a Rover garage but they couldn't recreate the problems when they took it for a spin, i got the impression they werent particularly interested.
Rover 414 si 96-N - Rover Boy
Hi,

Two common problems on this excellent car (probably the best model Rover have ever built) are the distributor cap wearing (rather it's the centre carbon brush that wears, but you have to buy the complete cap), this can cause hesitation during acceleration and poor starting; and the throttle position sensor (potentiometer) failing, this can cause over-revving and surging. The dist cap is easy to check and fix, the potentiometer is more difficult to find, easy to replace.

Also check the oil trap in the vacuum line from the throttle to the ECU, screwed to the bulkhead. Easy and free to check/fix.

Rgds.
Rover 414 si 96-N - reevsie
Thanks Rover Boy, the car is getting gradually worse, today cruising at 60mph I lifted off the accelerator dropped the clutch, the revs stayed at 3000rpm for about 20 seconds. i'll check the throttle position sensor out. I'm surprised the Rover dealer didn't think of it though, maybe they had other things on their mind!