Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - Lmb
My son has looked around and finally decided he would like a Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi Zetec 2001 51 reg with 67k miles.Silver, FSH, sun roof, CD player (multi) but no air con. The car is in good condition apart from a knocking sound under the rear when test driven. The guy who owns the garage that is selling it says that will be sorted. He has a very good reputation locally, is quite elderly and one of 'the old school'which is very pleasant!

It comes with 15 months MOT (the existing 3 months and a full year afterwards) a full service and 3 months warranty and the price is £4,900.

I have tried to get hold of a copy of Glass's guide but no success at Smiths or Waterstones. Could anyone tell me if this is a fair price please and possibly what the guide suggests.
Also are there any problems with this car and what should my son look out for if and before he signs up?

Thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - blue_haddock
I've just had a quick look in a copy of Glass's that i've got here and the price looks there or thereabouts right. You won't find either CAP or Glass's guides in any shop due to it being a trade guide.

I'm not a ford man so couldn't tell you the specifics of what to look out for but the things that from a motor traders perspective will hamper the cars value come PX time is the fact that it's the TDDi and the fact it hasn't got aircon.

The TDci is a much better and more sought after engine than the older more clattery TDDi and the fact it hasn't got the climate pack is a downside too.

Having said that if your son likes the car and the price he should go for it, i would say this is a nicer car than both the Mazda and the Toyota he was looking at. The chap he's buying it from sounds like the sort of chap who will see him right as well.

Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - Quinny100
You won't find a copy of Glasses guide in the shops - its a subscription only service and cost a few hundred pounds a year. The nearest thing you'll get is Parkers but thats online at www.parkers.co.uk however I find they're prices are always a bit on the high side and the best comparison for values is the Auto Trader website.

£4900 isn't particularly overpriced for a 51 plate, but it is above average miles (not that its a problem) and the lack of the climate pack will make it more difficult to resell and makes the car worth £300-£500 less - you also miss out on the excellent heated front screen. If its a facelifted model (front indicators in the light units rather than the bumper)its not bad value, if its an original model which I suspect it is due to the lack of AC it was probably sold very cheaply when it was new.

The Focus is generally pretty reliable but I wouldn't sign anything until its had the knocking sorted out - they are not known for problems on the rear suspension so it could be a sign of previous damage, or it could be something as simple as the exhaust knocking due to a missing mounting rubber - you never know. The TDDi's are pretty solid engines but they're not the most powerful, quiet or refined. Make sure it starts easily both hot and cold, the power delivery is smooth with no signs of hesitation or misfire and that its not smoking excessively when you boot it.

The TDCi is a much nicer engine but you'll pay at least £6k for a half decent one thats not done starship mileage, but it should hold its value better than a Di.
Thanks for the info!
Does anyone know how often the cambelt needs changing on this model? Should it be done at the next 70k mile service? Any idea how much it is likely to cost - just so we can factor this into the equation
Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - Quinny100
According to Ford's Warranty and Service Guide the cambelt interval on the Endura-DI is 100k or 10 years. If it fails before then and the vehicle has a full Ford service history, Ford will repair any damage FOC.
Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - L'escargot
<<......100k or 10 years. If it fails
before then and the vehicle has a full Ford service history,
Ford will repair any damage FOC.

I must remember this the next time someone urges me to change mine at 50k or whatever!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Quote from Focus report on Honest John's site "Some fleets reckon on just 60,000 miles for Zetec E timing belts and idler pulleys. 35,000 miles still max for diesel timing belts "

I thought I'd seen 100k miles written somewhere so I'm now confused!

What is an "Endura Di" by the way - is that what a 1.8TDDi zetec is?

Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi zetec 2001 Query - Snakey
I would check theres no trace of a leak from the water pump as this went on mine at an early age (50k,3 years) and cost £180 to fettle.

Having said that, its been a rattly old beast that gets 50mpg on a good day.