Power steering grinding/vibration - 406 - quadmyre
Hi all!

Any advice on a fault which seems to have occurred on my 406 after standing for 2 weeks (not seen before).

At certain steering angles I get a vibration in the steering wheel and a sort of vibratey grindy noise from under the bonnet. Power steering fluid level is at max as it has been for some time. Some of the pipework appears slightly damp with some fluid - can't see any serious leak though.

This happens whether the car is moving or not so hopefully doesn't indicate something about to fall off!

I'm currently thinking power steering pump but am also suspicious of pipework due to the age of the car (98). Can anyone tell me which is more likely to cause this fault?

If it is a leak and got suddenly worse to the point all fluid was lost would this affect any other components (eg the pump) if I drove it?

Has anyone changed the PS pump on a 406 3.0 V6 (ES9J4) and if so how easy / difficult was it? It looks doable to me but I'm a very amateur mechanic...

Thanks for looking!
Power steering grinding/vibration - 406 - sierraman
When you say'certain steering angles'do you mean full lock?If so,all PAS makes a noise in this position and may well send vibrations to the steering wheel,nothing to worry about but do not do it unneccessarily.
Power steering grinding/vibration - 406 - Aprilia
I can't see that the pipework would be responsible for your problem. Most likely to be a pump or rack valving problem. If you run the pump without fluid then the pump will be damaged.
Power steering grinding/vibration - 406 - quadmyre
Nope - this is not on full lock but seemingly randomly as the wheel is turned and often just a few degrees off straight. Comes and goes as well so possibly rev-dependent - seems less noticable at speed. This model has the silly electronic speed-dependent power assist so I guess that could also be the problem? Might see if there's anything obvious I can disconnect to eliminate that.
Power steering grinding/vibration - 406 - Civic8
I would not rely on fluid level as being correct.If the level of fluid has dropped (but engine run power steering working)
The fluid froths up so looking as though its full..My motor not pug. Was leaking fluid and was from base of reservoir..It was not detectable untill revs went up-and no leak at all at engine stop..But did exactly what yours is doing.£45 later new reservoir and all is well..Just a possible reason?
--
Steve