New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - andymc {P}
Can't find my service book, so can't look this up. Is the alternator belt a scheduled service or inspection item?

Reason for asking is that mine is frayed on one side after 54k miles, and when I called in for my local mechanic have a look at it, he insisted on driving me home in his car so that mine wouldn't go another yard before the belt was changed. He asked if I'd kept up the service schedule, which I have - I even had the timing belt changed early and I change oil/filters more frequently than the schedule. He didn't want to commit himself, but wondered if the frayed edge might have been spotted or the belt changed before now.
The last time the main dealer saw the car was in October for the timing belt job. So, I want to know if the alternator belt has a specific replacement schedule and how long one is supposed to last, also if there's a specific service at which it's supposed to be inspected.
PS all my receipts are in my service book ... so can't check back through them either.
TIA
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - RichardW
It's probably (possibly?) an inspection item which should be looked at for condition during the service. Replacement would only be when necessary. Fraying on one side is not 'usual' wear, and probably indicates wear in some other component, or poor fitting. They usually last longer than 54k miles. Belt would have to come off to change the timing belt, so I would expect the technician to check it and replace if necessary. Reason your mechanic (wisely) stopped you driving it, is that when a modern serpentine belt breaks, it can wrap itself around the crankshaft pulley and rip the cam belt off, with expensive results...
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - Aprilia
On my own cars I always change belts at 50k miles/5 years max. They are cheap, pretty easy to change on most cars, and cause lots of hassle when they break!
On a cambelt car it is worth changing them when the cambelt is replaced because the labour will effectively be 'free'.
New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - Leon on Derv
Andy,

My inspection and maintenance plan book (on page 10) states every 60,000Km (definately Km) in addition to the inspection service - poly-V belt - Check state.

It makes no positive recommendations to replace it right up to 180,000Km - unlike the timing belt.

Checked the 60,000 Mile service invoice as this was when the timing belt was done (Wilsons) they have itemised screenwash and a stop bulb so I would assume if a new drive belt had been fitted it would have been itemised on there too.

My 90BHP leon Tdi has just rolled over 100,000 miles and am still on the original belt. I visually checked it just about a month ago, no sign of fraying and no cracks across or along the rubber V's.

Its sods law that mine will come adrift on the M2 tonight after that!!!

Leon
New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - andymc {P}
Cheers folks, thanks for the help. Got it replaced yesterday by my local guy, total cost to me £40 - less than what the dealer were quoting for labour alone! As soon as I dig out my service book I'll be able to check what's been done. I would be concerned about the possibility of something not being right, and I'm slightly peeved that this wasn't spotted when I replaced the timing belt. Having said that, it might even be consequential to that piece of work being done.
Leon, Wilson's is where I have always gone for main dealer servicing & I've always found them quite good so far. Having said that, Trevor has now left, so it'll be interesting to see if the customer service remains as positive as it has been.

BTW I'll be in the "crisp n' dry refinery" tomorrow afternoon getting my hands dirty - see if you can call in for a fill!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
New Leon TDi 110 alternator belt - when? - Leon on Derv
I am sorry to hear trevor has moved on. That reduces the number of trusted service people in my contacts book to one.

Any news of where Trevor has gone?

Will stop by tomorrow afternoon, only need about a tenners worth have been slumming it in the Impreza of late!

Later,
Leon