Replacing the Glass in a Fiesta tailgate - Astro
As the tailgate in my Fiesta Mk3 was rusted, I?ve bought a brand new tailgate (in primer) and fitted it to the car swapping, the lock, rear wiper and all the other bits with the exception of the glass which I have so far removed from the old tailgate but not yet fitted.

Is this something that is easy to do? I?m going to have to go and buy the rubber fitting fro my local ford dealer, but I?m unsure as to have a go myself or ask a windscreen company to fit it for me. Is this something the likes of Auto Glass etc would do?

Cheers
Paul
Replacing the Glass in the Tailgate. - Civic8
Auto glass will charge for fitting.Unsure of cost though..It is easy to do But you will need a helper.Ie not advisable on your own

First put rubber onto glass making sure its pushed home all the way round.

Then starting from approx 1 foot either left or right from centre(bottom of screen) .. using string-insert all the way round outside groove. When you reach point you started overlap by 2 foot-leaving an overhang on both ends so string can be pulled by hand. if you dont their wont be anything to pull on.

If you can get a helper. or both of you. insert bottom of screen into taigate as close as possible to frame then push whole screen onto tailgate..
while one person pushes the other gets inside and slowly pulls the string one side-you will see the rubber pulling over the frame. As you pull on other side gradually work it around the frame untill all the rubber is in place- and the string is removed.Apart from any odd bits of straightning out of rubber job done..
HTH
--
Steve
Replacing the Glass in the Tailgate. - Astro
Thanks

Think ill call Auto Windscreens/Glass for a quote, if too pricey I will have a go myself.

P
Replacing the Glass in the Tailgate. - Civic8
Its actualy easier than I managed to explain..Without complications it can be done in 20 minutes or less.Sorry if it sounds complicated.Let me know how you get on
--
Steve
Replacing the Glass in the Tailgate. - Chris M
As you say, it's not as difficult as it sounds. I've done it myself a few times years ago.
I wouldn't phone Autoglass for a quote. I'd pop in when they're not busy and I'm pretty sure one of the fitters would do it for the cost of a pint or two.

Chris M
Replacing the Glass in the Tailgate. - Adam {P}
Gotta agree with Chris....

...the cost of two pints and a bacon butty by the way ;-)
--
Adam
Replacing the Glass in a Fiesta tailgate - AR-CoolC
As described above it is a very simple job, it would take me about 30 seconds to fit it but I've been fitting glass for 13 years so have done quite a few thousand by now.

Pop down to your local Autoglass or whoever and a pint or two will have it sorted, just wait until they are quiet though, the Teusday after a bank holiday they will be over loaded with work.

(Glass-Tech)
Replacing the Glass in a Fiesta tailgate - Astro
Spent Friday on the phone calling places to buy a new rubber to fit the rear window into the tailgate. The local Ford dealer could get hold of one for £42. Auto-glass claimed that they could get hold of the same item (from the local Ford dealer) for £30 and would fit it (with the rear window glass) for a further £60.

My present strategy is to buy the rubber off Auto-glass, unless I can find someone else selling it cheaper and then keep my eye open for a window fitter that is willing to do a foreigner.
Replacing the Glass in a Fiesta tailgate - Civic8
>>for a further £60.
Got to be joking.Any decent mechanic can do it and in less time than I mentioned..
--
Steve