Oil filter change - Roger K.
I have always in the past, (with older cars) after changing the oil filter, immobilised the ignition and spun the engine over for a few seconds in order to get the oil pressure up, before starting the engine properly.
Is this good practice with a Cat, or am I in danger of flooding it with fuel?

I don't like the idea of starting the engine with an empty oil pump-is there an alternative method I could use?
Re: Oil filter change - alvin booth
Roger, In my wifes Maestro turbo diesel handbook it does specify this being done but for the reason of getting oil to the turbo.
I always fill the oil filter cannister before fitting but of course this can only be done with a filter which screws upwards.
Alvin
Re: Oil filter change - ladas are slow
and remember to put oil on the rubber seal of the oil filter.
Oil filter change - David Lacey
Difficult to do with todays modern engine management systems. Used to be easy back along with coils and CB Ignition
Prime the oil filter with oil before fitting (if possible!)
Don't worry - the oil pump will not be dry!

Rgds

David
Re: Oil filter change - Andrew T
I can't imagine that in the time it takes even a slow DIY-er to drain and refill with oil (20-30 mins?) that any lubricated surfaces will be dry enough to suffer start-up wear? - tho' maybe a turbo could have a problem?
Re: Oil filter change - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Roger,

May not strictly be necessary, but still good practice. Best way to protect the Cat on an injected engine is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump, or remove the pump relay, so that there is no fuel injected.

Regards, Adam