Nearing that time again! - Adam {P}
Car Insurance! Hate it or hate it, we need it and the time has come for me to start testing the water.

My insurance is up in June so at about this time every year I start getting quotes just to get a general idea. Now, I can't name the insurance companies lest it get misconstrued as me having a dig at some for high quotes but let's just say I've tried the big three and quite a few other very well known ones.

Quotes have been around 1300 - 1700 quid for TPFT bar one. £682. Needless to say, I'm puzzled but happy if this is the case. The only thing concerning me is that the other quotes are so high. I know one of them has to be the cheapest but by 600 quid?!?

The cheapest quote by the way is with my existing insurer. If you happened to find out that that was NU then so be it.

Anyone else beat other quotes by this much?
--
Adam
Nearing that time again! - mfarrow
My cheapest quote this year was £238 by Churchill. Still twice what the car's worth but it's got to be done!

I will however be going with Norwich Union for £279, as I'm adding my girlfriend so she can pass her test hopefully at last. But get this: without her as a named driver, the quote was nearer £310! It's almost worth putting a girl friend (or mum) of yours on Adam just to see what the mixed-up computer they have running their website makes of it.

My current insurer is CIS. Good quotes over the past three years but now I'm 21 they're too expensive compared to the rest.

--------------
Mike Farrow
That's a good point Mike. I forgot to add Mum. Dad is covered on it from his Fully Comp but I add Mum myself just in case something happens and she needs to drive it.

I've tried Churchill; I won't be insuring myself with them put it that way.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try CIS now.
--
Adam
Nearing that time again! - frostbite
My recent renewal, which takes effect today, worked out cheapest with AXA, but I haven't spotted any mention of courtesy car in their literature.

I don't think you can go direct through their site - I arranged mine through the HSBC site.
Nearing that time again! - frazerjp
I think your current insurer is cheaper because they are giving you a discount for your loyal custom?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Nearing that time again! - ihpj
If we're 'recommending' insurers, and by no means am I endorsing, sponsoring or even affialiated with them, but ahev you tried Bell Direct? They do a 10 month Bonus Accelerator policy and it can work out quite competitive...and you accumulate 12 months NCB in 10 months. Apologies if I'm repeatin previous advice...or even Tesco? They seem to be quite competetive for young drivers too.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Nearing that time again! - Bromptonaut
Elephant.com were streets ahead for me.

Though the fact that I'm just a wee bit older than you might make a difference ;-)
Nearing that time again! - blue_haddock
try www.confused.com - searches a load of insurers for you.
Frazer, I thought that but I not so sure.

blue, forgot about confused. I'll try that tomorrow. (Too tired now!)

Cheers,
--
Adam