Double event - alvin booth
Christmas is always a special event but this year a little more for the family.
We were married on Dec 23rd 1961 so this year was the 40th Ruby anniversary.
The weather was similar to this years 23rd with a freezing cold wind and the reception building alongside the River Derwent. The photographer was blue in the face but he stuck gamely to his task.
The only thing which puzzles me is...where has 40 years gone. It only seems like yesterday that I said "I will" and look where it got me.
Could have been a thousand times worse.
And the car I had at the time.....A Morris Minor series 11 4 door. reg:YNU 415 with an 803cc OHV engine which had to be decoked every 20K. But you could do it in the afternoon. Cost £410.00 which was a lot in those days.
Cars were relatively expensive due to less being available.
In 1964 I only paid £624.00 for a new VW Beetle. I imagine that if you worked it out cars today would be relatively half the price.
Were these the good old days of motoring..... I think so. not because the motors were as good but simply that you had your own road space with little or no aggressive behaviour on the road. Even so there were plenty of accidents then but I think was down to other factors.
Sorry to ramble on, just put it down to senility which begins if I remember rightly at about 45 plus.
Alvin
Re: Double event - Tomo
Sorry I could not send an Austin Ruby! Just congratulations and best wishes.

Senility sets in, in the opinion of some, when having seen more than they have you are in no way able to agree with them.

And there were the good old days of motoring, when the only worry was, is this motor going to explode if I don't lift off?

Best regards from Tomo.
Re: Double event - THe Growler
Yes, and the nagging worry all the way -- will I get there or will it break down. The sense of achievement when I did and it didn't. Of course, if it had, most likely I would have been able to fix it anyway - usually electrics or fuel fault, unlike today.
Re: Double event - Randolph Lee
Alvin, Congrats. on the 40 years and good luck on the next 40

Yes the roads were empty then once you got out of the big citys...

I still have my RAC key from the 60s for the phone boxes in rural areas... anyone else still have theirs? I once needed to use the petrol from one of those boxes in the highlands of Scotland... Can you imagine that working today?... an honor system... how quaint... I can recall back then poping into the village shop and making my own change in the cigar box for my items when the shopkeeper had stepped out... it is thaings like that that color my memory of a golden age of motoring...

~Randolph
Re: Double event - Dwight Van-Driver
The good old days and better driving, really?

In one of my books on the North Riding of Yorkshire Constabulary, the Chief Constable reports that in 1902 due to the large number of complaints of reckless driving of motor vehicles, he purchased ten stop watches and placed several constables on various roads (early brain powered Vascars). During the year 42 drivers were prosecuted for speeding. Fines amounting to £152.12s.0d
were imposed with only 1 case dismissed.

There were no mention of complaints in the year immediately following.

Although on reflection at just over £3.50 a ticket and no PP or LE's cheap but what were the wages in those days?

DVD
Re: Double event - Bob H
DVD,
A craftsman could expect to earn approx £2 for a 6 day week in 1902. I suppose the fine equates to £700-800 in today's money.

Mind you the only craftsman likely to be driving would be doing so for his employer. As the majority of drivers would be wealthy it was perhaps an early form of means tested fine?

Bob H
Re: Double event - Colin M
If you like reminiscing, I can highly recommend Geoff Owen's book, "Turning Back The Clock" an autobiography about 50 years in the motor trade.

Amazon have it www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0948358068

Colin
Re: Double event - alvin booth
Thanks fella's.
Alvin.
Re: Double event - robert
Hi Alvin,

Well done! As a matter of interest - how does the cost of the car then & now compare to an average salary then and now. Do the comparision against a say, £12k of similar size( a Focus from a supermarket say). How does it stack up then?

In anticipation.

Robert
Re: Double event - Bob H
Alvin/Robert,

Since 1961 the Retail Price Index has risen by a factor of 13.625 which makes your £410 Morris = to £5586. However disposable income was less in those days, so whilst the prices for a car at the bottom end of the market are comparable Mr Average would have had a harder job to afford it in 1961.

For your 1964 Beetle costing £624 the RPI rise is 12.37 =£7718.

Bob H

PS
Compare that with the way house prices have outstripped inflation. A nice 3 Bed Semi in Southern England would cost £3K-£3.5K in 1961. Cant get much for £40-50K now!!