Warning: Sat Nav stupid questions - Brill {P}
Please, just humour me, I'm way behind in the tech race!

I'm probably going for TomTom, and have a few questions.

1. I understand it comes loaded with a UK map, but presumably this needs periodic updates, is this done via a weblink, and is there a charge, or do they send out a new CD now and then?

2. Static speed cameras: Are these on the system or is this an option?

3. Laser warning: I assume this is not part of the system, and something like RoadAngel is required?

4. I assume it can't pre-warn you of traffic incidents to avoid, do other systems have a live sat link for this info?

5. I'm on a Mac, and have heard I will need software called "TamTam" anyone using this?

Right I'm off to fire up my valve radio while I think of buying one of those new fangled mobile phone thingies the young cats seem to like.

Be gentle.
Warning: Sat Nav stupid questions - Altea Ego
Please, just humour me, I'm way behind in the tech race!
I'm probably going for TomTom, and have a few questions.
1. I understand it comes loaded with a UK map, but
presumably this needs periodic updates, is this done via a weblink,
and is there a charge, or do they send out a
new CD now and then?

No there is no weblink update, you may or may not get an update that is available from the web site, but mostly you have to pay for a new version
2. Static speed cameras: Are these on the system or is
this an option?

Not out of the box, you need to download all the bits and bobs for this they are called "points of interest"
3. Laser warning: I assume this is not part of the
system, and something like RoadAngel is required?

Not is not part of the system, and soon to be illegal anyway,
4. I assume it can't pre-warn you of traffic incidents to
avoid, do other systems have a live sat link for this
info?

Yes Tom Tom is available (shortly they say) with a susbscription based traffic warning add on - Its not sat based it will be gprs (phone) based or TMC (data broadcast over radio)
(cant remember which)
5. I'm on a Mac,

Never mind you may get better

and have heard I will need
software called "TamTam" anyone using this?

Dunno - I use a real PC
Thanks for the feedback RF.
Warning: Sat Nav stupid questions - Citroënian {P}
Hi Stuart,

If I may be so bold as to add to RFs answer...

There's a new version of TomTom due out next month that should address most of the queries you raise. It'll be subscription based and I'm not sure if it'll be via mobile phone and PDS (GPRS) or via updates on the computer (via PC connection). They've not finalised the details yet, but their website is good at explaining stuff.

Presently however,

Map updates in TomTom are infrequent, mainly at major product releases 2.x to 3.x .... they didn't charge from 2 to 3. Perhaps ?49 from 3 to 4 I've heard suggested.

Speed cameras will be part of the new version, so they say. CheckPOI and the pocketgps website are currently the best bets for free.

TomTom is already available with traffic subscription and a mobile phone. I use this on my XDA2 and it works well, but sometimes misses jams or has "phantom" jams to avoid. On balance I think I gain from it.

Mac? A what?! Not sure, you'd need to check tomtom.com

Might be worth waiting a few weeks before buying as an upgrade is imminent (May). Or....I hit lucky and found a discounted copy of version 2 after 3 was released. They kindly upgraded me to version 3 for a nominal charge of ?9.

Good luck, would be glad to answer any questions I can if you post here

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Thanks both,

I've now ordered TomTom 700 and already have a GPRS mobile so will see how I get on.
Warning: Sat Nav stupid questions - Altea Ego
A 700? blimey wanted all the bells and whistles then.
"A 700? blimey wanted all the bells and whistles then."

Business expense.

Let's hope I can work the thing!

Warning: Sat Nav stupid questions - jeds
The new tomtom is a good piece of kit. My only gripe at the moment is that when driving with no destination selected there are no audible alerts for POI's. Everything shows on the screen - just no alert.

All works OK when a destination is selected.