ticking sound. Ford Mondeo - TonyE
I have a Mondeo TD (new shape) and have noticed an annoying ticking sound. The faster I go, the faster the ticking. It only happens when the car is moving. That is, it doesn't tick when you rev the engine. I can't work out if the noise is comming from the front wheels or under the car. I know my description is basic, but does anybody have any ideas of anything to simple to check.

Thanks in advance.

{Subject header amended to make less vague. DD}
ticking - Peter D
Nail or stone in a tyre. Regards Peter
ticking - TonyE
Cheers,

I have checked the tyres but couldn't find anything. The sound has been getting worse over the past few weeks. You only really notice the sound if you go past a wall or something hard so that the sound can bounce off it.

I will give it a second check for nails etc.

ticking - frostbite
Or even a seperation/blister on the tyre.

Usually occur on the inside, so you can't easily spot them.
ticking - mjm
Or a loose hubcap, or a stone or other debris in the hubcap.
ticking - Peter D
Are you on steel rims ?? you could have a failed weld between the spoke and the outher rim. Is it onve per revolution noise or faster possibly indicating a C/V joint or bearing problem. Regards Peter
ticking - madf
small break in exhaust manifold gasket only under load?

madf

ticking - TonyE
Thanks for the advice.

I was listening out for it today. There is no noise until the car hits say 15-20mph. I cannot say if the noise is x ticks per turn of the wheel, but it is rythmical. It is like driving a fairly crap drum machine in that sense. The noise can be heard equally well when having the drivers window down and when having the passengers window down.

ticking - madf
you may have a stone trapped between disk and hub/caliper.
Loose tie on drive shaft which at speed trails out and hits something.

madf

ticking - steveparker
I've got the same problem with my '03 Ford Mondeo (done 39k miles)- I bought it at 13 months old, so it's nearly 3 years old now. The problem has got worse. There don't seem to be any problems with how the car drives, but it's very noticeable (with the window open - if you listen hard with the window closed, you can hear it).

It seems worst on turning a hard left (I'm in the driver's seat (Right-Hand-Side of the car), on a Right-Hand-Drive car).

It happens whether braking, accelerating, regardless of gear, the speed of the "tick" seems to be related to road speed (not engine speed).

I recently rented 2 different Ford Focuses - one had done 16k miles, and I found no problem. The other had done 1084 miles (no fist service) and had the same problem (though more quiet than my 3-yr-old Mondeo).

My Mondeo is getting louder as time goes on. The dealership say that they will investigate it, and if it's a warranty part, they'll cover all costs - otherwise, I pay for all their labour (at typical garage rates). The car will be out of warranty in mid-March, so they need to fix it by then, or it's my problem (and the car is already close to worthless!)

Steve.
ticking - cheddar
The car will be out of warranty in mid-March, so they need to fix it by then, or it's my problem>>

Not if it has been reported before the end of the warranty and is un resolved.
ticking - Red Baron
Could it be one of the wheel bearings? - you only hear these from a certain speed upwards and it gets louder and louder until at 70 mph it sounds like a hammer drill in the distance. Also, obviously gets worse over time.