Windscreen crack - Peter M.
About three weeks ago a stone chipped the windscreen dead centre about three inches from the bottom. Then ten days ago I noticed a hairline crack creeping horizontally from the chip to the left. (This was the outer layer of the lamination only.) The crack now extends almost to the edge on the left and about six inches to the right.
I don't think the screen is going to explode, but does anyone have advice on the legality of the situation. The crack is along the line normally covered by the wipers in the parked position, and is below the bonnet line when viewed from the normal seating position. My next MOT is next May - think I'll be safe 'til then? Any advice gratefully received.
P.
Re: Windscreen crack - Andy P
You're safe from the MOT, since the crack is out of the danger area. However, one the crack gats past a certain size, there's every possibility of the windscreen going completely next time it gets hit by a stone. And now, with the wide variation is temperature (frozen to wam), it's going to be put under even more stress.

To be on the safe side, I'd get it replaced. For the £50 it costs, I'd prefer to have a proper windscreen.

Andy
Re: Windscreen crack - Peter M.
Thanks for the advice, Andy- I'll get it seen to.
P.