Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - markee
This might seem a silly question but I am going to buy a 2002 passat diesel how can i tell if it is the 100bhp or the 130bhp from looking at the car, as the dealer does not have the V5. He tells me it is but how can i check.
Thanks
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - madf
go to a new car showroom and look at them there.

madf

Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - dieselnut
Look in the servive book. On one of the first pages will be a printed sticker from VW that shows the VIN No together with paint code etc. One section will show the engine power in KW.
74KW is 100bhp, 85KW - 115bhp, 96KW - 130bhp.
An identical sticker will be found under the boot carpet in the spare wheel well.
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - adverse camber
Are the tdi badges diff colour combinations ? like on the audi?

Is the 130 the only PD ? presumably the engine will look different ?
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - cheddar
Assuming badges have not been removed or changed:

Silver "TDI" = 90 or 100 ps depending on age.
Silver "TD" + Red "I" = 110 ps.
Silver "T" + Red "DI" = 115 or 130 ps depending on age.
Red "TDI" = 150 ps (Golf & Bora only)

100, 115, 130 & 150 are later "PD" type injection systems.

IIRC all but the 90 ps have variable vane turbos.

I must say it, a Mondeo TDCi is much more refined though, not to mention more fun to drive.
Sorry should have said, 2002 will be 100 or 130 therfore silver "TDI" for 100 ps or silver "T" + Red "DI" for 130 ps.
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - quizman
I think you will find that on the 100 the "I" is red, and on the 130 the "DI" is red .

You are buying the right car, the Passat is brilliant; not at all like what some people say.
I think you will find that on the 100 the "I"
is red, and on the 130 the "DI" is red .

I think you are right therfore:

Silver "TD" + Red "I" = 100 ps
Silver "T" + Red "DI" = 130 ps
You are buying the right car, the Passat is brilliant; not
at all like what some people say.

Brilliant no, good yes, though not a patch on a Mondeo as a drivers car.
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - adverse camber
I think the passats got much better in the newer incarnation. My brother had a 52 plate which wallowed badly and never felt very good (to me anyway), he now has a 54 plate 130 tdi 4motion which is *much* better.

I wouldnt get one without the sport seats personally. The standard ones did my back in.

Not driven the mondeo.
I think the passats got much better in the newer incarnation.
My brother had a 52 plate which wallowed badly and
never felt very good (to me anyway), he now has a
54 plate 130 tdi 4motion which is *much* better.

The 4 motion handles well and is fun to drive, the two wheel drive Passats don't so aren't.
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - markee
Thankyou for your help this has helped me find out that it is a 130bhp
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - quizman
You are probably right, the handling could be better.

I wonder if the handling is better on the new model.

Also does anyone know if the new one can get Radio 4 Long Wave, it will soon be Test Match time.
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - peedub
Also does anyone know if the new one can get Radio 4 Long Wave, it will soon be Test Match time.

Radio 4's long wave version can also be heard on medium wave in some areas, but the reception's even worse than long wave:

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freq_find/BBC_nationa...f
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - Roly93
On a Passat of this age range the easiest way to tell before you start looking at the label in the boot, is Red i in TDi = 100 PS, Red D + i = 130 PS...
Passat TDI 100bhp or 130bhp - bert-j
If you are buying the car from a VW dealer he will have access to computerised records for the car. This will give all build, service and repair details. He should be able to provide a print out. A 3 year old car may just be out of warranty so be careful. It's particularly essential to know that the correct oil has been used on cars with pdi engines and that it's been serviced at the correct intervals. If it's a very high mileage car the cam belt etc should have been changed at 60,000 miles. With respect, if you are buying the car from a non VW dealer be very, very careful!
Wrong Badging? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Hmmm really?
My 2002 model 100hp PDI Passat has a silver T, red D and a red I.
Owned from new - no badge change.

Also the wife's 2002 Mazda has got three badges stating 323F - insurance company denies such a model exists!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Wrong Badging? - cheddar
To clarify this I reckon I was right in my first post on this:

Silver "TDI" = 90 or 100 ps depending on age.
Silver "TD" + Red "I" = 110 ps.
Silver "T" + Red "DI" = 115 or 130 ps depending on age.

I guess it is possible for a 100 to be fitted with a 130 badge in error.

Wrong Badging? - mark
Must have been a Friday job type thing which affected loads of 2001/2002 Passats.

My 2001 facelift Passat PD 100 has a red D and a red I, The T is silver, owned from new so no badge changes, just like scunners.

as always

Mark
Wrong Badging? - JohnM{P}
Are the badges put on at the dealers (hence the 'no cost' badge delete option on Audis)? I had a courtesy Polo a few years ago with the boot badges in the door bin...