Punto rear speaker wiring - Rover Boy
Hi,

I have fitted a new stereo in my daughter's 2000 base level Punto. All plugs on the stereo matched the sockets in the wiring harness fine. The stereo has an eight-connection output ISO plug for the speakers, two wires each for two front and two rear speakers. The wiring harness also has an eight-connection socket, but is only wired for front speakers. It just has holes where the other leads should go. (I have two rear speakers to fit and wire.)

Any suggestions for the best way to 'break in' to the connection to enable the rear speakers to be connected? Can the missing connections be put into the existing ISO socket? Are adaptor leads made which will piggy back off the existing connection? I don't really want a cut and join solution if I can help it.

Rgds.
Punto rear speaker wiring - mfarrow
I suppose what you're really after is just some crimp terminals to plug into the existing wiring loom ISO plug. Have a look here:

www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/terms...l

I've just pulled an old ISO plug/socket apart and it seems that Ref: 3-8060 will do for the socket pins and Ref: 3-7210, 3-7211 does for the plug recepticles.

Hope this helps.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Punto rear speaker wiring - mjm
These crimps usually need a good crimping tool to ensure a good mechanical grip and good conductivity. They may sell the relevant hand tool to fit them. If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it is worth considering it. If you decide not to, then be prepared to apply solder to the wire connection part of the crimp. You may also have to adjust your method of crimping to ensure that the terminal will go into the connector.
Punto rear speaker wiring - mfarrow
Generally the expensive ones (£20+) do exactly what they say on the tin, but I've found the cheap ones to be totally rubbish, though.

I always tend to crimp the sleeving first then do the wire. Best method I've found is to bend one flap down with a pair of small pliers and then the other. Ideally they'll be overlapping, then squeeze down across them both with pliers to finish the job. Don't flatten too much though or else it'll be too wide for the plastic housing. I've never had one pull out on me yet.

Soldering's a good idea. I dip the strands in flux first before crimping, that way I only have to dab solder on with the iron without worrying about whether it will flow or not.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Punto rear speaker wiring - Rover Boy
Thanks everyone for all the advice. The crimp terminals (soldered!) look the biz so I will be trying those.

Rgds.