Jaguar X type - Orson {P}
The XJS is in for a service today, and the dealer has given me an X type for the duration.

It's actually quite a horrible little car. To say it's a Mondeo with frilly pants is not true - the ride, sound and general driving experience are all inferior to the Mondeos that I have driven. It's the 2 litre SE auto model, and the engine is noisy, the transmission not good and the ride is very fidgety. It may be the wheels, but they don't look particularly pimped up. There's also an enormous delay between flooring the pedal, the engine deciding which gear it wants to be in, selecting that gear and the car actually moving. There's also very poor visibility for tallish sorts.

I wanted to like the car, especially as I have a Jag. But really, as the introductory model for many people, it's pretty poor. Is this a commonly held opinion, or does one grow to like it?

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Jaguar X type - blue_haddock
I wanted to like the car, especially as I have a
Jag. But really, as the introductory model for many people, it's pretty poor. Is this a commonly held opinion, or does one
grow to like it?

I've only ever driven the 2.0 for fairly short periods but i personally am not taken with it. The only one i have driven extensively was a 3.0 Manual sport model on a trip from Telford to Aberystwyth and that was pretty good.
Jaguar X type - Altea Ego
I have driven the Diesel Estate.

I liked it and would quickly offer it garage space at home
Jaguar X type - cheddar
I Test drove an X-Type 2 litre manual 3 years ago, at the time I had a company car, a Vectra V6, I thought the Jag was fine though not as well equipped as a Vectra/Mondeo etc at the same price level however the 2.1 litre V6 felt gutless compared to the Vectra 2.5. If you are driving it directly after a 5.3 V12 then perhaps this perception will be all the greater, on the other hand if you had been lent it while your 1.3 Almera was in for a service it would probably feel like a limo and a rocketship rolled into one!

In other words it is all relative.
Jaguar X type - SjB {P}
Agreed.

When shopping for a Volvo S60 2.4T (that morphed for space reasons in to the V70 2.4T that we eventually purchased!) one of the alternatives I tried was a nicely run in, fully loaded Jag X Type 2.5 manual (not auto) that was a colleague's car.

In two words, Very Disappointed.

Horrible 4 wheel drive powertrain (I don't know which planet the journos were on when they raved about it) with huge inertia, making quick, chauffeur smooth, gear changes all but impossible. Yes, it probably is quicker in extremis round a track with 4WD, and Tiff on ice last week during Fifth Gear made it look impressive, but for my daily drives, no thanks.

Cramped inside, very average fit and finish, and the bit that surprised me most, the very fidgety ride that you mention. This being a Jag, I expected a world beating chassis, whether underpinned on a Mundano (unfair, but the tag sticks), or not.

Jaguar X type - Truckosaurus
The X-type on 5th Gear the other week as a 2wd diesel model.

I considered an X-type as my next car, but it didn't seem to do anything well. No real benefit to having one over a Mondeo other than the Badge.

(Bought a Volvo S60 D5 instead).
Jaguar X type - cheddar
This being a Jag, I expected a world beating chassis, whether
underpinned on a Mundano (unfair, but the tag sticks), or not.

What tag sticks, "Mundano" ha ha, can't say I have heard it very often so clearly has not stuck, perhaps you mean the fact that the X-Type is based on the Mondeo if so it is generaly agreed that the Mondeo has one of the best front drive chassis at any price so it was a good starting point for the X-Type.

However the X-Type, both saloons and estates, 2wd & 4wd, are based on the Mondeo estate, the Mondeo hatch and saloon have a more sophisticated multilink rear set up, I understand that the estate rear supension more readily accepted the 4WD rear diff etc.
Jaguar X type - mare
I haven't driven in one, sat in one or even looked in one. But i keep mistaking the estates for old model Volvo V40's. It's the lights. I keep imagining a Ford PAG meeting that went like this:

Volvo Rep: we've got the replacement for the S40/V40 sorted out, but Sven ordered too many tail lights for the estate.

Jaguar Rep: no problems, we'll have them! Just what we need!

Serious point - this car seems to be another example of the spreading VAG disease (Audi A3 step forward): never mind the quality, check out the badge. Unfortunately for Jaguar, a lot of people know that it's based on the Mondeo.
Jaguar X type - Chas{P}
Hey, let's run down another UK produced model!! Last week it was Rover now let's start on Jaguar.

It's what us Brits are best at and it makes me mad.

Rant over
Jaguar X type - Altea Ego
I think you find we kick BMW's and their drivers as well. Is that OK with you?
Jaguar X type - Garethj
I think you find we kick BMW's and their drivers as well. Is that OK with you?

Yes, thank goodness Rover never made a 4x4 or we'd REALLY have put the boot in! It was risky enough them making cars with foglights....
Jaguar X type - Truckosaurus
What Rot. One could argue that it was the "Let's buy British even though it's not good enough" attitude that has lead to the current poor state of affairs with what is left of the so called British car industry, as they never had to make an effort to produce a quality product.

It's a global world now, all we can do is buy the vehicle (or whatever other comsumable) that best suits our needs and it'll all come good in the end. :-)
Jaguar X type - Chad.R
Hey, let's run down another UK produced model!! Last week it
was Rover now let's start on Jaguar.
It's what us Brits are best at and it makes me
mad.
Rant over

If it's bad, it's bad - no matter where it's made. Similarly, if it's good, it's good.

There is no point in "running up" a product for the simple reason that it's UK produced*. If it's good AND it's UK produced then great, let's sing it's praises from the rooftops....

*Some Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas & Peugeots could be classed as "UK produced" not just Rovers, Jaguars, Astons etc.
Jaguar X type - Malcolm_L
Spot on - I'm not without sympathy for the MG-Rover workers, however if Rover management had focussed on bringing in a new model
to replace the 200/400 series instead of serial face-lifting of old models and white elephants like the V8 RWD 75, then Rover might have been a more attractive proposition to SAIC.

Jaguar X type - NowWheels
if Rover management had focussed on bringing in a new model
to replace the 200/400 series instead of serial face-lifting of old
models and white elephants

Presumably it's a matter of cost. A wholly new model costs about a billion, but a facelift can be done for a few tens of millions
Jaguar X type - daveyjp
I've only been a passenger in the X type 2.5 manual and it didn't feel like a Jag. IIRC the 2.0 petrol doesn't have the same 6 speed auto as fitted to the larger V6 engined models. I've driven a 2.5 S type with this box and have no complaints - seemless changes and no hunting for the correct ratio.
Jaguar X type - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've driven a basic 2 litre manual X type and was pretty impressed with the sense of occasion and overall feel . Felt a bit snug to this six footer but that is Jaguar's ambience design philosophy .
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Jaguar X type - Ex-Moderator
let's run down another UK produced model!!

No !! Lets all pretend its a wonderful example of motoring engineering and register genuine surprise when it doesn't seem to sell that well - I mean, it worked for Triumph, Norton, BSA, Austin, etc. etc. etc.

What rot.

Unless you are saying that the Jag is a good car, which it may be for all I know, then I really don't understand what you would prefer.
Jaguar X type - jag_driver
I used to run a four litre XJ8 as my everyday car but switched to a 2.1 litre manual X-type almost exactly a year ago.

I had fairly low expectations of the X-type and of course on a long run there's no comparison between a 4 litre V8 and a 2.1 litre V6.

But considering the X-type does 35mpg, I think it represents an excellent compromise. Sure, it's not a real Jag but it looks a million times better than a Mondeo and has a real feel good factor about it.

And it's certainly been less trouble than the 2000 model S-type I owned a couple of years ago! Touch the somewhat plasticky mushroom stained wood on the dash, nothing has gone wrong with it.

I agree that the 2.1 automatic is way too slow though and frankly should never have been made - any Jag that takes more than 10 secs to get to 60 isnt a proper Jag. Remember the original 2.9 litre XJ40 XJ6? That wasnt a proper Jag either!

Ultimately the BMW 3 Series is the best small sports saloon but for me the increased exclusivity and lower cost of the X-type makes it a more appealing overall package.
Jaguar X type - Aprilia
The Mondeo is an excellent FWD car. Unfortunately (other than badge and trim) Jaguar have only managed to detract from the original design. Its a heavier car that doesn't ride or handle as well as the Mondeo.
Jaguar X type - cheddar
The Mondeo is an excellent FWD car. Unfortunately (other than
badge and trim) Jaguar have only managed to detract from the
original design. Its a heavier car that doesn't ride or
handle as well as the Mondeo.

Agreed but for the estate, the X-Type estate looks more sport tourer where as the Mondeo is a real wagon, therefore the X-type estate will attract a different buyer, must say the X-Type estate with the 2.2 TDCi engine would be a great car albeit not quite as sharp as the Mondeo hatch/saloon to drive.
Jaguar X type - machika
With reference to the earlier mention of the British motorcycle industry, I am led to understand that Triumph are producing very nice products at the moment. Or is this assessment completely off the wall?
Jaguar X type - cheddar
With reference to the earlier mention of the British motorcycle industry,
I am led to understand that Triumph are producing very nice
products at the moment. Or is this assessment completely off
the wall?

You are right, although not quite as cutting edge as the big four Japanese manufacturers Triumph are making some great bikes, the new Sprint ST 1050 triple looks great and goes great as well. I think they have recently been awarded British brand of the year or similar.
Jaguar X type - Morris Ox
You're hitting the nail on the head, cheddar.

Though they share an awful lot of basic hardware under the skin they attract completely different buyers. And while everyone's entitled to their opinion someone coming to the X-type from a very different type of car will inevitably have a different perspective to those who've experienced cars of a similar level.

I think the Mondeo is a good, solid design that sets the kind of standards that show just how far the market has moved on. But my experience of Ford dealers is generally average to poor and its residuals follow the inevitable mass market slope. On a purely personal note I think it's styling is already beginning to look a wee bit dated (ST 220 excepted).

The X-type doesn't have the tightness of a 3 series or an A4, but it is well made, handles very well in AWD form, and looks particularly attractive in wagon form.

The decisive factor for the business I'm associated with is the dealer group. We have X-types, S-types and a couple of XJs with them and they work their socks off to look after us. We've had a niggle with the electrics on one of the X-types (a diesel) but otherwise flawless, high mileage service.
Jaguar X type - barchettaman
Looks like a pretty good car, but the competition has moved on (and how). New 3 series, facelifted A4, even the new Volvo on the Focus floorplan look better bets. Are there plans to put the 2.7 twin turbo diesel in it though? That in the estate version could stack up better to the competition
Jaguar X type - Puppetland
The irony here is that the 3 litre AWD X Type would blow the doors off ANY standard spec XJS on a nice winding country road. Indeed as the XJS wallows around, you may find it hard to stay in the driver's seat as you try and keep up!

I am not a fan of the FWD X Type.
Jaguar X type - blue_haddock
The irony here is that the 3 litre AWD X Type
would blow the doors off ANY standard spec XJS on a
nice winding country road. Indeed as the XJS wallows around, you
may find it hard to stay in the driver's seat as
you try and keep up!
I am not a fan of the FWD X Type.

That is my thoughts exactly puppetland - the 3 litre manual sport was fantastic on the trip through wales that i did in it but the 2.0 FWD car was very dull and lifeless to drive
Jaguar X type - Sofa Spud
I've said before and I'll say it again! In my opinion the current Ford Mondeo is actually much sleeker and prettier than its Jaguar X-type cousin.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Jaguar X type - rtj70
Totally agree. And with the revised interior on the 2004MY Mondeo I went from not wanting one ever to having had a 2.0 TDCi for nearly 18 months and think it's excellent. Came from previously having Golf GTi 1.8T, Passat 1.8T sport, Audi 1.8T Sport.

Would I get another yes but by the time it's time for a new car the new "Mondeo" will be out.

Now if I could try a Bentley Flying Spur.... Have seem 'em close up and they look good.
Jaguar X type - cheddar
You're hitting the nail on the head, cheddar.
Though they share an awful lot of basic hardware under the

skin they attract completely different buyers. And while everyone's entitled to their opinion someone coming to the X-type from a very different type of car will inevitably have a different perspective to those who've experienced cars of a similar level.
I think the Mondeo is a good, solid design that sets the kind of standards that show just how far the market has moved on. But my experience of Ford dealers is generally average to poor and its residuals follow the inevitable mass market slope. On a purely personal note I think it's styling is already beginning to look a wee bit dated (ST 220 excepted).

The X-type doesn't have the tightness of a 3 series or an A4, but it is well made, handles very well in AWD form, and looks particularly attractive in wagon form.
The decisive factor for the business I'm associated with is the dealer group. We have X-types, S-types and a couple of XJs

with them and they work their socks off to look after us. We've had a niggle with the electrics on one of the X-types (a diesel) but otherwise flawless, high mileage service.

Must say I have had good service from my local dealer, Brunel's in Bristol, also good customer service from Ford.

Jaguar X type - cheddar
Also I disagree re the Mondeo looking dated, I don't think the front of the face lift models is an improvement and I find the ST's a bit OTT however the Zetec S is a great looker, subtley sporty, overall though the 2000 on Mondeo still looks very contemporary.
Jaguar X type - Morris Ox
An interesting snippet. Jaguar has yet to ask any suppliers to tender for the interior of the next generation X-type, which would theoretically be due 2009. This is normally the first step, and if the first step hasn't been taken...
Jaguar X type - Orson {P}
Interesting to read all of this.

You're all quite right that the 3 litre AWD would beat the XJS round lanes, and also that the diesel is a good car and the Mondeo is better to some people. My original question was why should they produce a 2 litre auto that is hopeless when they can do so much better. I'm not into knocking UK cars - I have driven 2 Rovers, a Bentley and now the XJS, but it does irritate me when a good car company produces a rubbish car! Any auto that takes longer to think about which gear it wants to be in than it takes me to think is no good.

Also, I'm not convinced about the fuel consumption - the trip computer was reading about 15mpg for some short round-town runs that i had to do yesterday. Given that I wasn't trying too hard (one can't in city centre Sheffield traffic) they're the sort of figures I get from the XJS and its 30 year old technology. I know short round town is the worst you can do for economy, but it surprised me just how thirsty it was. Just as well I wasn't paying...

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Jaguar X type - bartycrouch
An interesting snippet. Jaguar has yet to ask any suppliers to
tender for the interior of the next generation X-type, which would
theoretically be due 2009. This is normally the first step, and
if the first step hasn't been taken...

I cannot see Ford wanting to create another small Jaguar of this type as it has been a real headache for them.

While US customers may be happy buying different American brands with basically the same car underneath, they do not expect this in "quality European" vehicles.

My guess is that Jaguar will attempt to diversify their range with more niche vehicles with high profit margins.