Honda Oil filter problem - Mikey Jay
The oil filter on the prelude is horizontally fitted and there is no room to undo with a chain wrench or strap wrench, because of various brackets, drive shafts, exhaust pipe etc. I've bent the casing of the filter a bit because the chain couldn't turn it. In fact everything is in the way! On the earlier model you could just manage to undo it from above, ie in the engine bay under the air cleaner. Does anyone know where you can get a suitable wrench. A strap wrench where the thing you turn is at 90 degrees to the strap might do. I don't like putting a screwdriver through the thing. Any help appreciated. Cheers,Mikie.
Honda Oil filter problem - Sprice
Have you actually tried undoing it by hand? You'd be surprised how often this is possible, use a rag to get a better grip!
Yes I have Sprice. The engine temperature was warm/hot which helps.
Honda Oil filter problem - mfarrow
Why don't you like the screwdriver option?
Honda Oil filter problem - SjB {P}
I quite understand, as I don't like the messy screwdriver option either. Quite apart from being against my purist 'engineering' nature, I don't like oil running down my arm or requiring wiping off many a pipe or component, either.

I'd try something like this: www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=48077&ts=5...1

Stick a universal joint from a socket set directly on the end, followed by an extension rod to wherever you have space to swing a ratchet head, and you're away.

Good luck!

Honda Oil filter problem - SjB {P}
BTW, if you do buy one, and access to the filter is as tricky as you say, sleeving the wrench arms with a thick, quite tight, rubber band before sliding the assembly over the oil filter helps keep it located when not under load; The torque of turning the wrench is what grips the three arms in to the side of the filter, thus turning the filter as well. Consequently, as soon as you run out of ratchet space, and wind back for another go, the arms are under no load, and come loose from the filter. This is a pain if access is tricky and you can't use one hand to keep the wrench still when winding back the ratchet head. With a strong rubber band to help though, they work very well.
Honda Oil filter problem - likerocks
I have a '98 1.5 5-door,

Similarly, mine is mounted diagonally (closed end upwards) on the back of the block and obsured from above by the inlet manifold and injectors.

I've always succeeded with hand-strength and a rubber or suede gardening glove.

But then I do ride mountain bikes and rock climb, so not many threaded items defeat me in the end.....
Thanks for your replies. Have managed to locate a strap wrench with the bolt or whatever you call it(Fulcrum bar maybe?)which is at right angles to the strap. All the best, Mike.
Honda Oil filter problem - wemyss
I don't blame you for not liking the screwdriver option often quoted.
Once you do this the car is effectively off the road and if by any chance it doesn't come off its disaster...