Rover Cars.........Volume 3 (LOCKED) - arnold2
please continue on here, volume 2 now closed. Volume 2 is at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=30...5

This thread is now closed and you should seek out volume 4....

From PwC:

"Accountants Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) say they are "optimistic" because of "good assets and a great workforce"."

Er, what assets !

They don't own the land the factory is on (do they own the factory itself?), but lease it

They don't own any of their engines now

They don't own either the 25 or 75

The CitiRover is Indian, anyway

So that leaves the 45, the MG-TF and the XPower SV; and the MG name itself. And I believe BMW still owns the rights to the Rover name ?

So that would only leave any bidder MG, I suppose ... which is the best bit anyway ...

What ISN'T clear is if Longbridge could still sell the MG versions of the Rover 25 & 75 - although I believe the whole assembly line for the 25 has been sold to China ...
What's left .... - Robin Reliant
Owning the rights to the Rover name is BMW's loss.
What's left .... - pd
If MGR still hold the rights to the MG name and the TF I can see the remote possibility of somebody (maybe another car manufacturer) picking up these and integrating MG as a purely sportscar brand into their range. The TF is an old car though and would need re-designing to take a new engine.

The 25 and 75 already appear to have been sold off so these may go back into production along with the K-Series engine in China.

Other than that, MGR appears to be a shell of a company which doesn't really own anything. I think it highly likely that on Monday the administrators will officially shut Longbridge for good.
What's left .... - madf
Great assets probably mean "lots of unsold new cars we will sell off at a huge discount"

madf

What's left .... - arnold2
Quite !

The only company I can think of who would fit what's left of MG-Rover is Lotus ...
so, Proton-Lotus-MG, anyone ?

Still, good job Lotus put that Toyota engine into their Elise ....
What's left .... - Morris Ox
Some fascinating reports this morning about the financial paper trail in MG Rover and early suggestions about an inquiry into it. The Sundays will have even more, no doubt.

However, I've got to say that some of the most interesting snippets of all can be found on this very website. The insights, knowledge and information that have been emerging from Back Roomers during the last 48 hours or so are a tribute to all concerned.

If you want to know what's really going on, read it here.
What's left .... - madf
Inquiry = government facesaving imo.
Almost all the key financial details of the Phoenix 4 have been made public knowledge when released in annual accounts.
Lets not forget Stephen Byers - that great success as Minister of Transport supported the Rover buyout by Phoenix against the Alchemy deal. And last week Patricia Hewitt said the Rover directors were doing a great job.

So either the Government have found new information in the last 7 days which they have NOT placed in the public domain or an inquiry is just so much spin designed to amke the gullible think the Government is actually on top of the situation and will do soemthing.

With a General Election underway of course it's new information: this Government never spins:-)

madf

What's left .... - El Hacko
Amazing, is it not, how (with fairly marginal constituency votes at risk) a "prudent" chancellor can suddenly find money to try and ease a problem that arises before the Government expected it to?
What's left .... - Morris Ox
Two points before we get too political. While ever there was a chance of a deal with SAIC the last thing the Government was going to do was rubbish the people fronting it, despite, I suspect, their considerable misgivings. DTI officials were not 100% happy with the Phoenix people but could say nothing. Neither were they 100% happy with SAIC, but that's another story.

And no, it's not surprising that the Government can find money to help suppliers. It has contingencies for exactly that reason. All Governments would do the same.
According to reports in both the Observer & Times this morning, 'sources' at SAIC are laying claim to the Rover name; perhaps those journalists should be reading the HJ Backroom a bit more, since BMW clearly holds the rights to the Rover name .... !

Still, slick manoeuvring by SAIC to get the rights to so much of Rover Group, and hats of to the directors of Pheonix - I mean, you want a company to invest in a new model, and you're main bargaining assets are 2 cars - the 25 & 75, and an engine range, that your investor wants. So what do you do ? You go & sell them BEFORE they sign up for the joint venture ! Rather confirms what I have found working at many companies over the years - the British workforce are as good as any, but not our management ....
What's left .... - Altea Ego
Well I suspect that after the dirt has flown around, mud has stuck and it all dies down, Chineese built "(L)over 75" will not sell too well in the UK or Europe.
What's left .... - Civic8
So.What happens with an older rover that parts are needed for?.Certain parts could only be had through main dealer..
--
Steve
What's left .... - mfarrow
Don't worry steve, with all the stories about Rover's poor reliability there'll be plenty of parts to be had at the scrap yard!
What's left .... - midlifecrisis
Well my Mg is a darn sight more reliable than the Passat I owned.
What's left .... - carl_a
Well my Mg is a darn sight more reliable than the
Passat I owned.

From what several passat owners have told me that won't be very difficult.
What's left .... - patently
Don't worry steve, with all the stories about Rover's poor reliability
there'll be plenty of parts to be had at the scrap
yard!

That gives me an idea.

If MGR has a huge stock of unsold cars, is it better to sell them at the huge discounts that will be needed, or store them as a source of parts for the existing stock of cars out there?

Now there's a quandry. And (possibly) an opportunity for someone.
What's left .... - livefortheday
What a joke. The government has just announced they are going to pour a further 6.5 million into the Rover blackhole to stop redundancies tomorrow. They are still trying to do a deal with SAIC.
Don't they EVER learn?
What's left .... - blue_haddock
Don't they EVER learn?

NO
What's left .... - pd
MGR, to be an on-going concern, require at least two new platforms/cars plus essential derivatives (people carriers, crossovers etc.), an updated petrol engine, a brand new common rail diesel plus somebody to stomach the costs whilst all this is developed. As a conservative estimate "saving" MGR in anything remotely like its current format is going to cost about £2bn. Even assuming most production ends up in China development costs are going to be around this figure.

Has SAIC actually got £2bn in cash? They are primarily just an assembler of VW Polos suffering loss of market share in their home market. Even if they were interested have they really got those sort of resources?
What's left .... - Tornadorot
Has SAIC actually got £2bn in cash? They are primarily just
an assembler of VW Polos suffering loss of market share in
their home market. Even if they were interested have they really
got those sort of resources?

Actually, I think the B2 Santana and B5 Passat are Shanghai-VW's biggest sellers. Don't forget the assorted GM models SAIC also assemble under the Buick name, plus the trucks, buses, tractors...
I hope www.austin-rover.co.uk don't mind me quoting from their site, but they have had better information than the press of late !:

" In its current form MGR and mass production at Longbridge is no more.

SAIC has been quick to withdraw from negotiations due in some part to government involvement; SAIC has begun to smell victory at a liquidated price, and are now viewed as worst enemy.

The Tata/CityRover contract is terminated (or is to be formally so next week).

The Indian SUV and Diesel engine ventures are being offered the Indian companies in order to simplify MGR and raise cash.

Tata has been in formal contact with the administrators about acquiring Powertrain completely, with a view to transfer to India and supply and British manufacturing plant.

A small American firm is interested in purchasing the MG SV for production in the US (and has been for a few months although it was initially just the distribution rights in the US).

A 2000 sale clause with BMW means that Ford/Land Rover are to be offered the Rover name and production rights. It is thought that if MGR goes into liquidation they will purchase the name.

Ford has stopped supplying V8 engines for the SV and ZT/Rover 75, with no more to come until the situation is finalized.

After an approach by the Administrators Ford/PAG confirmed that it does not want MG. The senior managers (not the top table people) think that the problem is this:
A. Too much time spent on wooing the Chinese/Proton.
B. X80/ MG SV project wasted cash for little benefit
C. 75 RWD platform ditto
D. CityRover did damage to brand, and the company spent too much time and effort on deal.
E. Lack of government support.
F. No new metal only pointless and costly refreshes of range with little effect on sales
G. Press attacks stopped showroom traffic

R45 replacement 10 months (and about 80 million) from production build if cash could be found.

Plan B is now MG and Powertrain to retreat to MGR owned Engine plant land, plant set up and TF and ZT to be produced along with if cash can be raised a MG version of the R45 replacement.

Rover brand to be dropped, due to terminal damage.

Possible small volume medium car (R45 replacement) to be built alongside MG version (if cash available) for sale in the UK only as an Austin (or something else not a Rover).

BMW being very helpful at this time (allowing parts still to be shipped etc)

3575 jobs to go at Longbridge.

Studley Castle to be sold and cash to new company, offers already in.

Proton/Tata/SAIC/ unnamed small car company (thought to be Porsche interested in MG only?) approached Administrators about all or part of current MGR.

Current P4 owners still want to be part of business, but feel they will be forced out, no way out but administration to clear problems."

Methinks the Government will continue with it's £6.5 Million/week until the election is done, then pull the plug ...
SAIC have confirmed this morning that they are not interested in re-starting talks whilst MG-Rover is in administration....
What's left .... - ajit
Picking up on what arnold gleaned from austin-rover.org

Quite possible that Tata might pick up the Powertrain Rover 45 replacement plans (let the chinese keep the old designs)

Move powertain to India, use rover r&d team to develop engine and finish r45 prototype. Retain them for euro inputs. Launch r45 in india as a tata and let it be assembled in birmingham as a Rover probably as a niche vehicle. City Rover replaced by new model on similar lines. Tata is also setting up a plant in south Africa and looking at emerging markets.

Then you get the volumes reasonable costs - (tata sold 50000 Indicas in India /year)

There might be hope but it will take time and there will be some pain. Tata are straight forward and has strong values, they willl respect all parties. They are doing a great job with Daewoo trucks.
What's left .... - madf
following on from ajit's post. I think some pain is an understatement.
As the administrators are not resuming production, I think the plan ajit mentioned would be lucky to emply more than 150 popel initially.

And a car plant in Longbridge making say 100k cars a year is a recipe for more losses. The place is far too big for those volumes..

Stand by for lots of spin and no results but loads of redundancies.. probleaby befor ethe election unless HMG keep bunging them £millions - which will all be wasted.

Economics wins in the long term.

madf

What's left .... - Altea Ego
HMG will do whatever it takes to prevent images of and headlines about "xx,xxx made redundant" until after the election. If that means paying 6.5 million a week to see longbridge workers clocking on and off as normal then so be it.
What's left .... - NowWheels
HMG will do whatever it takes to prevent images of and
headlines about "xx,xxx made redundant" until after the election.

Exactly. P45s not until on or after May 6th.
What's left .... - Stuartli
But I happen to believe that the electorate in the Midlands is not as stupid as you would have us believe...

Just been sent a reproduction of the famous Rover badge - the capital R is missing. Very sad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>> HMG will do whatever it takes to prevent images of
and
>> headlines about "xx,xxx made redundant" until after the election.
Exactly. P45s not until on or after May 6th.

I'd have no objection to that. If they were paying, that is.
What's left .... - malteser
I still pay taxes in the UK although I live full time in Spain now, so I think I am entitled to say that I resent any of my tax money being used to bail out an insolvent business. In any event it is probably illegal under EU law to subsidise a company's products, which is the effective result of the bung being given.
No-one was interested in helping my business, with job losses (including mine), being incurred, when it had to close some years ago, so why should I sympathise?

I don't! -- Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)

What's left .... - Civic8
>>Don't worry steve, with all the stories about Rover's poor reliability there'll be plenty of parts to be had at the scrap yard!

As they all suffer similar problems.It wont be worth going to scrappys..Just had this problem with a rear wiper motor.Not one out of all the cars they had worked..Rovers want £56+VAT
--
Steve
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - John24
Just noticed in the Press something about a £500 million interest-free loan to Phoenix, from the taxpayer, when they started at RMG. Add this to BMW's £400 Million pound loan and you begin to wonder where all the cash went in 5 years.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - patently
If someone is looking for a new boss to lead Rover for the next 5 years, on the understanding that their job is to burn roughly a billion pounds while keeping 6,000 people vaguely busy in return for large salaries and an £85k pension, then let it be recorded right here, right now, that I am very happy to be a candidate.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Altea Ego
Get to the back of the queue you, quit shoving.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - midlifecrisis
I think it's quite right that billions of taxpayers money be used to keep the company going. At least until I've p/xed my ZT.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Thommo
Roger,

Enjoy the fabulous infrastructure including hundreds of miles of brand new motorways paid for by the British taxpayer, at least your getting some value for it.

John,

Think your confusing the loan from BMW with a government loan, there was no £500 million bung from the taxpayer 5 years ago when Towers and Co took over. Even then it would have been totally illegal under EU law. Which is not to say that the Italians wouldn't have done it but we certainly didn't.

I am not sure about the support payments currently being made, but suspect they will cease come 6th May.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - livefortheday
I wish there would be a backlash by voters sick of there hardearned being wasted in this way.

I cannot see ANY justification (apart from the party political obvious) for pouring another 6.5 million into this company. The receiver says no prospects, the unions say 1 in a million chance and SAIC say no conversation with an insolvent company.

But hey...its a rollover!

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - daveyK_UK
labour robbing midland votes with postal vote fraud

now there buying them.

Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - livefortheday
Perhaps we should just "look forward not back"....Blimey just look forward and someone just stole the remaining loose change in my back pocket!
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Baskerville
Rover is not in receivership--yet. The administrators are there to work out if it should be, though I think we know. It occurs to me that if the government loans £6.5 million to Rover then when it does go into receivership presumably the government will be a creditor and will have some leverage over whoever picks up the pieces with the aim of protecting British interests. In the mean time £6.5 million is small beer to prevent the whole lot falling apart before all the deals (not just with the Chinese) have been tried. I don't think we're going to be seeing too many Rover badges on the back of new cars though.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - NowWheels
I am very happy to be a candidate.

Patently, have you stopped to think about the company car which you would have to drive?
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - pd
The company car would be a downside to anyone applying - the current Chief Executive (when he's not on holiday) drives a Porsche Cayenne and being seen dead in one of those is not a nice thought.

On the subject of government bungs they could do it the Italian way and just pay it in cash.

There's certainly a fine line between "aid" and out and out gerrymandering these days.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - somebody
I've mentioned this before, but it's still bugging me.

What did the UK do so differently that we have no volume car makers and the French still have two?

* Rover cars had a bad reputation for unreliability, especially in the 70s-80s. Even today, though, French cars do not have a stellar reputation in this area

* In the 70s Rover had a lot of strikes/union militancy. Again the French are not known for harmonious industrial relations even today

* French government has no doubt put money into PSA & Renault, but again, UK Govt has put a lot of money into Rover and its predecessor companies too.

The only real difference is that cars like the 800, Montego, etc., tended to be regarded as dull, whereas a Renault or Citroen were maybe were regarded as more stylish.

Opinions?
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - adverse camber
Renault and Citroen never pretended to be bmw competitors ? Didnt charge silly prices ?

Their small cars were better. Ever driven a metro ?
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - somebody
>>Renault and Citroen never pretended to be bmw competitors ? Didnt charge silly prices ?

Their small cars were better. Ever driven a metro ?<<

You're right, I have driven a 1989 F metro 1.3 Auto and it was absolutely appalling. I've also driven a 1990 G Citroen AX and that was just as bad if not worse!

The poster about the 205 was right, that was an excellent car. Too bad Rover didn't have a 205-killer, and things might be different now.
Too bad Rover didn't have a 205-killer, and things might be
different now.

Or a Sierra-killer. Or a Cavalier-killer. Or a 3-series-killer. Or a 206-killer. Or a 405-killer. Or a Corsa-killer. Or a Mondeo-killer. Or a ....

And so on. How many "if only they'd managed to xxxxx then it would all have been different" laments are there about Rover and its predecessors? Basically, there was the 200 in the early 90s and that's been about it since 1970 or so.

Its cars were consistently substandard for too long, and now it's going to die. The 75/ZT may have been better, but was too little, too late. It's a great shame - even I'm upset! - but there you have it.

I don't have a Rover because there wasn't one I wanted to pay for. And I certainly don't want to pay for one through the back door.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Heppubansan
Why doesnt the govt. just order a bunch of MG Rovers??? Buy them as Govt./ministerial cars, Ambulances, Police cars, etc etc, every other country in the world that produces cars buys their own - US, Japan, Germany, China, everywhere. Surely this would be a more useful contribution than pussy-footing around with 6 mill here and there...???

The only real difference is that cars like the 800, Montego,
etc., tended to be regarded as dull, whereas a Renault or
Citroen were maybe were regarded as more stylish.

The year that Citroen launched the BX, Rover launched the Maestro. Nobody outside the UK wanted the Maestro, but the BX was a desirable item all over Europe: it looked better, drove better, rode better, and was more reliable.

For most of the 80s, Rover offered the Metro with an archeological powertrain and little dinky wheels ... but Renault sold the modern-looking, comfy SuperCinq and Peugeot the brilliant 205. It wasn't just marketing -- the French cars were a much better product.

The French offered tomorrow's cars at cheap prices, but Rover offered yesterday's badly-made cars at premium prices.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Susan Parker {P}
If only Alchemy Partners had taken over the company in 2000.
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - mfarrow
Across the road there lives a family with both a whit Maestro and a white Cavalier. The Maetro's a K-reg and the Cavalier's a G-reg.

Guess which one looks 10 years older than the other and is riddled with rust?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Rover Cars.........Volume 3 - Susan Parker {P}
Yes the Maestro! Maestros and Montegos rusted quite badly, particularly along the wheel arches. But the newer Rovers were fine, although Rover 100's rusted quite badly on its rear arches.
Yes the Maestro! Maestros and Montegos rusted quite badly,

My first car was a Montego.

Sanding, priming & repainting the wheelarches became a regualar form of recreation.

It was also the last Austin/BL/Rover that I owned.
Patently, have you stopped to think about the company car which
you would have to drive?

Already thought of that. On the director's salary I could hire a garage a few miles away to hide the 75 - then I can swap on the way there & back.

Actually, I could cope with a ZT260 - I think I'd actually quite like it. What put me off was the depreciation and the vanishing likelihood of spares & warranty support when the inevitable happened.
Already thought of that. On the director's salary I could
hire a garage a few miles away to hide the 75
- then I can swap on the way there & back.

That'll make some good footage for the camera crews who surreptitiously follow you home while they film a report on how you are using the £500m ;-)
That'll make some good footage for the camera crews who surreptitiously
follow you home while they film a report on how you
are using the £500m ;-)

I know, I know. But for £500m, would you care?

Not me :-D
Patently, have you stopped to think about the company car which
you would have to drive?

It's just dawned on me why the ZT260 and the X-Power were designed!
End of Life responsibility - mfarrow
If Rover goes to the wall, who, under the new EU laws, has responsibility for the cars under the End Of Life legislation? Does it pass to BMW or is money set aside by the recievers?

--------------
Mike Farrow
End of Life responsibility - Puppetland
Looking at this thread on a Rover enthusiast's site makes the mind absolutely boggle.
forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=68734
End of Life responsibility - Puppetland
Has anyone got £2 billion to spare? If so, have a look here.
www.savemgr.org.uk/pledge.aspx

Incidentally, a very good point made about end of life responsibility. I don't think BMW would be responsible, simply because they did not sign Rover up to the scheme.
End of Life responsibility - NowWheels
Looking at this thread on a Rover enthusiast's site makes the
mind absolutely boggle.

The idea of a hybrid JCB/Rover Streetwise is so good that I'm sure it'd be worth a few squillion of taxpayers's cash to give us all a good laugh
End of Life responsibility - Thommo
It would be £2 billion at least. A billion just to cover existing liabilities plus a billion to develop a new model which must be a world beater first time out of the box. Plus working capital so £2.5 billion all up say.

Peanuts compared to the £1.7 billion it got in the '70s, wonder what that would equate to in todays money?
End of Life responsibility - livefortheday
Looked at these two websites and I think my idea of selling total garbage on the Internet and making a million may not be so fanciful.

End of Life responsibility - Ex-Moderator
I removed soem party political ranting which was not relevant or acceptable. A couple of other, quite reasonable, notes got caught in the same deletion. Sorry if you were unfairly impacted.

Mark.
Rover's losses ... - arnold2
MG-R need THREE times as many workers to produce a car (100 cars per worker at Nissan Sunderland, compared to 33 at Longbridge).

If MG-R sells about 100,000 per annum, according to my sums that means Nissan could build 100,000 cars with about 1,000 workers, compared to 3,000 at Longbridge ....

helps explain some of the losses .....
Rover's losses ... - madf
I thought MG Rover employed 6,00 people : so that's 5,000 surplus vs Nissan.

madf

PwC reckon it will take an extra £60m just to keep MG-R afloat whilst it finalises any deal with SAIC, which would take a few months, whilst SAIC have reiterated they're not interested ! Still, so long as they keep the thing going until after the election ...

In the meantime, 'mystery' sports car maker interested in MG is rumoured to be TVR's Russian owner....
Rover's losses ... - pd
Funnily enough, TVR occured to me as well. TVR are interested in the US market where TVR is a completely unknown name but MG is not.

I can't see any realistic prospect of TVR continuing with any production (maybe the TF for a couple of years), I think it's just the badge they might be interested in.
And another potential far-eastern buyer for thw whole of MG-R rumoured to be the Taiwanese company, Nan-Ya ....
Rover's losses ... - Thommo
As the Rover brand is now damaged goods it would be a nice gesture if BMW gave the rights back for 'nowt. Don't think it'll make much differnce but you never know.

As to selling trash for billions to a gullible public I've just had a brilliant idea. I'll create a company who'se initials if re-arranged would spell out a popular swear word meaning to have sex then put in on my prducts in the original order but IMPLYING the swear word. Nah, it'd never work thats too naff even for chavs. Oh wait...
And to think I owned Rovers - 16,75,80,110 - when the brand name meant quality, engineering and comfort.

Sic transit gloria mundi

madf

Rover's losses ... - NowWheels
As the Rover brand is now damaged goods it would be
a nice gesture if BMW gave the rights back for 'nowt.

If I had given away the company, plus £500million, plus a huge stock of saleable vehicles, I might just be inclined to feel that maybe I had made quite enough gestures ... and that handing over the brandname to a bankrupt company would be folly.
Yeah with you NW but if its worthless then whats the harm and as Tony Woodley is busy whipping up anti-BMW sentiment for reasons which escape me possibly a way to deflect some of the criticism, after all BMW are never going to use the anme now are they?
Yeah with you NW but if its worthless then whats the harm

If it's worthless, then no gain in handing it over -- and if it is worth something, what's the point in giving it to the receivers?

Anyway, I thought I saw something to the effect that Ford had first call on it?
Let me refine that worthless to BMW.

Of possible value to the administators as selling the plant with the name.

Not ssying anyone would buy it even so...
Of possible value to the administators as selling the plant with the name.

But the plant has already been sold, as have most of the production lines.
Rover's losses ... - patently
If I had given away the company, plus £500million, plus a
huge stock of saleable vehicles, I might just be inclined to
feel that maybe I had made quite enough gestures ... and
that handing over the brandname to a bankrupt company would be
folly.

NoWheels, I agree with you 100%.

Mods - please frame this post somewhere.
Rover's losses ... - Altea Ego
Its not quite true

They were RELIEVED and GRATEFUL to get RID of the company for a MERE £500 million, huge stock of ....etc
They were RELIEVED and GRATEFUL to get RID of the company
for a MERE £500 million, huge stock of ....etc

RF, d'you think that if I go along to the receivers, they will be relieved and grateful if I say that for a mere £500million etc?

(I can assure patently that if they accept my offer, he can have the job of big honcho. And a Rover Streetwise as his company car ... )
NW if you go in there with 500 million they will snatch your arm off - at the armpit
"NW if you go in there with 500 million "

You'd better have another £1,500 million cos you'll need it.

The words "pouring money down a drain" spring to mind.

(and if I upset any Rover supporters, please tell me when Rover last generated some cash through selling cars. I can't remeber that far back)

madf

NW if you go in there with 500 million they will
snatch your arm off - at the armpit

I did mean that maybe they'd give me 500million ...

my own piggy bank isn't quite that full.
(I can assure patently that if they accept my offer, he
can have the job of big honcho. And a Rover Streetwise
as his company car ... )

NoWheels - if I would be in charge of which models got which names, we might have a deal.
>> (I can assure patently that if they accept my offer, he
>> can have the job of big honcho. And a Rover Streetwise
>> as his company car ... )
NoWheels - if I would be in charge of which models
got which names, we might have a deal.

OK, if you insist -- you can stick a Streetwise badge on that imported Indian thing.
OK, if you insist -- you can stick a Streetwise badge
on that imported Indian thing.

Keep trying.... :-)
NoWheels, I agree with you 100%.

Mods, I think that someone has hacked Patently's backroom login ...
Mods, I think that someone has hacked Patently's backroom login ...

Or NoWheels'.
Rover's losses ... - Adam {P}
This thread is just too, too weird.

I'm going for a lie down.
--
Adam
EU inquiring in to the £6.5 million bung to Rover.

'Information recieved not sufficient'.
Rover's losses ... - Susan Parker {P}
This thread is just too, too weird.
I'm going for a lie down.
--

Haven't you got some essays to finish off ;-)

Interesting that Alchemy Partners seem to be in contact with the administrators again. Back where we were in 2000.
Let's hope something can be rescued from this episode. Although I drive a Renault I've always fancied a MGF as a second car for the weekend. But I'm not buying one unless the company stabilises. But if I bought one it would help them...
Rover's losses ... - Adam {P}
Me? Do an essay? On time???

Now that really would make an interesting thread!
--
Adam
Rover's losses ... - pd
Sadly we're not where we were in 2000 at all. In 2000 MGR was being offered with a £500m cash bung plus about £500m worth in stock.

With about £1bn in the bank plus vastly lower overheads Alchemy might have been able to develop one or two low volume models and stood a 50/50 chance, the situation now is very different.
Jon Moulton has been equivical on this. He has stated publically that he woudln't be interested in 'Rover' at any price but in that interview on Newsnight last Firday with Jack Dromey that turned nasty he had clearly been speaking to the administators.

He is a deal maker and if he sniffs a deal he will go for it but the unions still hate him and I can't see New Labour being that keen even now.
Probably more interesting than your essay!