Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - Chad.R
Put SWMBO's Yaris in for a service yesterday - the Dealer phoned up and said "We noticed that the anti-roll bar bushes have spilt...this is a MOT failure....we advise you have them replaced....it costs £220*."

I declined and said I'll leave it - what puzzled me was that the car passed it's MOT only last week! - only needed front tyres which I knew about anyway.

So either
a. The MOT guys overlooked it (not that likely, as I've been using them for some time and they are pretty good)
b. The Dealer guy didn't know what he was talking about and it's not a MOT failure item
c. The dealer was looking to make a quick £200+ from an unsuspecting punter

I haven't had a chance to inspect the car myself but I would expect that if the bushes are indeed split, I'll need to get them replaced.
How much would this cost at a independant garage?

If they are not, then that's the last time I'm using that dealer.

* It was somewhere around £220 or £230 can't remember exactly...
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - Aprilia
Blimey, that's some price for an ARB change!

It may be that there are splitting a little; an MoT is not totally objective and the tester has to use his judgement - a little deterioration is allowable. I wouldn't worry about having it done straight away. ARB's are not especially safety-critical and you will feel/hear the AR bar knocking if they get really bad. I am not completely familiar with the Yaris, but I would hazard a guess at no more than £40 for the ARB's and absolute max of 2 hours to fit (probably less) - so say no more than £140 at an independent. Mind you, I have underestimated the price of Toyota parts more than once in the past!
Blimey, that's some price for an ARB change!

That's what I thought, after I picked myself off the floor! :-0)

Thanks Aprilia, as you say the Tester probably used his discretion .... If the bushes don't cause any problems, I'll worry about them if they fail on the next MOT.

Cheers,
Chad.
If you cover a highish mileage in this car then have them checked before the next MoT. They're dead easy to see - you can check them yourself. If you start to feel any knocking or thumping over bumps then get them changed. Any independent should be able to do this job - its pretty basic stuff.
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - blue_haddock
Mind you, I have underestimated the price of
Toyota parts more than once in the past!

>>

Anyone would think Toyota parts are expensive! ;-)
Anyone would think Toyota parts are expensive! ;-)

Not as expensive as Mitsubishi and Subaru, but pretty expensive. I was once quoted over £300 for a 'genuine' electric antenna and a Lexus (OK, I know its not quite Toyota) front window lift arm cost me (or rather the car's owner) about £250! Of the Japanese brands, I find Nissan parts the most affordable - they are typically in the same ball-park as Ford and GM for popular items. I think Nissan made more of an effort to get into the fleet market and so applied some sense to parts prices. I can understand the higher prices for sports/luxury stuff, but some of the little Corolla parts can be pretty wallet-busting. Don't you ever get complaints from owners about spares prices?
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - GrahamF1
Like Aprilia said - have a look at them yourself. If there's nothing wrong with them, go and speak to the manager along the lines of 'what on earth do you think you're playing at'...

In my view anyone trying it on with unnecessary work deserves to be found out, confronted and embarassed.
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - storme
if your anti roll bar bushes have split,,you would feel it when you braked,,you would feel some sort of vibration...
you might even feel the wheel "rolling" when you feel bumps and what not in the road....and maybe even some vibration at speed....

look under the front of the car,, find the roll bar,, and give them a spray with some holts rubber solution or something like that,,just to replenish the rubber bushes.

i doubt if a yaris have got split roll bar bushes,,the car is to new surely????

www.storme.co.uk
Thanks for all your responses - I haven't had a chance to take a look today.....

The car is just under 5 yrs/23K old. SWMBO only uses it for short local trips and I give it an "Italian tune-up" every couple of weeks by using it for my commute.
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - galathumpian
I have an 8 year old Yaris 1.3 Verso with the same identified problem during an MOT. It passed but I could see the external cracking of the outside of the rubber bushes.
I phoned the local Toyota dealer who quoted a price of £40 for the 2. It should take no more than 1 hour to change them as it is a simple job.
Galathumpian
Yaris : split anti-roll bar bushes - ajsdoc
Beware main dealers. I was told my Golf's rear bushes were gone 4 years ago by a dealer. Quoted £380 to change. Found an independent to have a look who said they were fine. Have stuck with him since and just recently the rear bushes are gone (4 years later) and replaced for well under half the original quote 4 years ago.
Incredible really.