Air bag light slow to extinguish - Penport
Any thoughts on the following would be appreciated.
My Audi A4 recently had it's a/con evaporator replaced - independent dealer had to remove dash as far as bulkhead to get to it - but did NOT remove steering wheel or airbag or sensor unit. (no passenger airbag)
Ever since I got the car back (2 weeks ago) the air bag warning light takes around 2 mins to go out after starting the car. Previously it went out in a few secs with all the other lights.
At first I thought it might be damp in sensor (car had been standing around for 6 weeks being fixed) but it hasn't improved. Disconnected/reconnected battery to no avail.
Should I be concerned ?
Surely the fact that it eventually goes out means it's still working OK.
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Dave N
It could be that they had to disconnect the airbag ecu, it's something Ive had problems with on a volvo 850, and it could only be reset by a main dealer. See what other responses you get from this site before you speak to Audi.

I can't believe it's been off the road for so long. I checked with Autoclimate who supply most of my parts and they had the parts in stock. I understand your guys went to 4 seasons, and they are absolutely rubbish since they got taken over. Job should be out within a day, so don't know why they started if they didn't have the parts to hand.
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Penport
Yes Dave - how did you know that ??!!!!

(they went there for economic reasons, and then got landed with a 3 week wait "while a fresh batch of evaps are imported from Italy") (they paid £120 for it I think)
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Mark (Brazil)
out of pure interest only...

>>I understand your guys went to 4 seasons,

And you'd know that how ?
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - BrianT
The airbag light on my Audi A3 refused to extinguish at all the other day and required a visit to the dealer who checked it pronounced the system OK. They told me these warning lights are very sensitive to voltage. If you turn the ignition on on a very cold morning and all the electrics suddenly come on together, this can drop the battery voltage to just below that required to fire the airbag. In this case the light will not go out until it is reset by the computer at the dealer. This sounds suspiciously similar to your problem.
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Dave N
You told me some time ago, when I asked how it was going. My usual supplier charges £150 for an evaporator, and they are genuine Valeo.
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Mark (Brazil)
Indeed, in fact you said....

>So far it's taken 4 weeks - 3 days to dismantle the dash, 3 weeks + to get the part (from Italy via the very helpful Four Seasons company) and it's in the process of being rebuilt at the moment.

Sadly, I think you forgot this piece of Dave's advice...

>>your advice to make sure EVERYTHING works when I get it back
Re: Air bag light slow to extinguish - Penport
I DID check everything worked, guys.
Spoke to independant dealer today - will get Audi garage to reset air bag for me after Xmas.
Thanks again for everyone's advice :~}