Locking Wheel Nuts - markymarkn
Carrying on from Alloy Wheels and new tyres...

I'm sure its a good idea to go and buy some locking wheel nuts - are they any good? Do they work?

I've seen a few different types - any recommendations? Anybody know where I can get some good ones from?

Many Thanks

Mark
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - ian (cape town)
mm,
there was a big thread about this a few weeks back.
search using " wheel nuts locking " as code words.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Alwyn
Wheel nuts? Big thread?

Clever.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - markymarkn
hmmm, couldnt find all that much, only that they werent much use.

Still think I'd better get some though.

Vauxhall are selling them for £25 a set, and I can buy matching plastic caps the same as the other wheels for £2.50. Does this sound like a usual Vauxhall rip-off?

Any other places I can look? I've tried an internet search of online stores but theres not much around.

Cheers

Mark.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Mark (Brazil)
If your wheels are attractive or not to be nicked, I am sure that it makes sense.

However, don't forget it totally messes up the wheel balance and so you're going to have to get a proper on-car job done and forever after remember on which stud the locking nut goes and what orientation the wheel is to that.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Graham
I have seen alloy wheels with 'traditional' hammer on balancing weights and others that appear to have slim line weights glued on in a row, having just bought a car with alloys for the 1st time, I would like to know what should I ask for before getting balancing done to ensure I don't get my alloys damaged by some muppet with a hammer! Do these fancy weights cost extra??
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - pete
Have the stick ons put on the inside of the wheel out of sight , on removal they will probably lift the laguer coating
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Andy
Two answers:

Graham

Most garages should have the stick on weights. I have never been charged extra for them, but do wait whilst the car is being balanced to ensure that they are fitted.

Mark

Am I correct in thinking that you are in Nottingham? If so, try Roadrunner. They are excellent. When I was fitting the GSi alloys to a Honda, I took one of the wheels along so that they could see both wheel and car. Cost between £25 - £30. Located close to where Wheelhouse used to be, only a few miles from the City centre. If you have no luck in locating them, e-mail me quickly and I will dig out their telephone number before I go travelling.

Good luck.

Yours

Andy
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - David W
Mark,

Bear in mind I can pop to the motor factors and buy a tool to remove most locking nuts as quickly as with your "key".

In fact they are mostly easy to remove in the workshop with things you have about the place.

Worthwhile perhaps but in no way 100% secure.

David
Cheers Andy - I do live in Notts and I know where roadrunner is. I'll pop down next year.

Sound advice Mark - never thought about that.

Do roadrunner do the on-car wheel balancing? If not does anybody know if anyone in Notts/Derby does?

I think stick on weights are a must!

Cheers Lads,

Mark.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Dave
"Bear in mind I can pop to the motor factors and buy a tool to remove most locking nuts as quickly as with your "key". In fact they are mostly easy to remove in the workshop with things you have about the place."

Except for VAG main dealer who smashed all four of a mates nuts and charged *400* quid to remove and replace them...

Yep, you read it right 400 per smashed nut!!!

And bear in mind after smashing nut one the guy must have gone and done the other 3, 1 by 1!

Main dealers. Love 'em!
David,

You are right, as usual, but...

Although wheel nuts may not be the most securing was to keep my wheels on the car, I still think they're a good thing.

a) they are a deterrent

b) they show I am security concious (along with the alarm and 2 immobilisers on my beloved)

c) I reckon Motor factors are slightly more difficult to break into than cars. Local 'kev' would need to break into said motorfactors and steal appropriate tool before he could take my wheels. This would be far to much effort for kev, and would hopefully give up and move to the next car.

I've also got a 'stoplock' type of device also - although they apparently only take 10 seconds to remove by Mr J Rider, its still a deterrent.

Still, sods law they'll get nicked the day I put them on!!

Kind regards,

Mark.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Andrew T
Mark - some varieties of locking nut come with push-on plastic hex-caps. If these are recessed into the alloys (e.g. Pug 306) they can be b*gg*rs to remove without a gripper of some sort. Awkward if you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere.
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Andy
Mark

Your Dad speaking...! Let your insurance company know when you put the alloys on. They may insist that you use locking nuts, in any case.

Yours

Andy
Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Chad R
Graham,

If you got some tasty alloys the last thing you want to do is spoil them with lots of visible lead pellets (balance weights).

Try and get the weights that attach to the "inner" surface of the wheel, this will -

1. Keep the wheels looking nicer

2. Stop any visible damage to the wheel when they are removed / attached

Good Luck !

Chad.R