missed service - tigerlily
I have just bought a car which is 20 months old. It only has 7000 on the clock and is in excellent condition to look at.Problem is I did not look at the service record until 2 days later whereupon I saw that there is no year 1 service stamp. I phoned the garage where the car was originally registered and they have no trace of a service on their computor or on the manufacturers computer. I took the car back to the (non main dealer)cardealer and they say they will change the oil and filter. Problem is of course its next service is due in a couple of months and it is still missing a service stamp. What is the point of changing the oil when the service is due anyway? I would normally have the service at a main dealer at least until it is out of warranty. Does it really matter at the dealer says he will cover the warrenty for me?
Needless to say I am an older female , usually well able to stand up for myself but in this situation I seem to have completely lost my way and do not know what to do.Any helpful,constructive comments?
missed service - Aprilia
I wouldn't worry too much. It may have been serviced (but not entered on to the computer) - is there any evidence of service work on the car? Could you contact the previous owner?
Anyway, it hasn't covered much mileage and its not suddenly going to go 'bang' so don't lose any sleep over it.
The main thing is that the manufacturer will honour the warranty. Wait until the car is due its next service and then take it to the main dealer.
I did try and phone original owner and eventually left ansaphone message. Really do feel as though it has not been done..Maybe I DO worry too much..drives lovely..Mazda2 1.6 sport
missed service - L'escargot
Your main aim should be to try to protect the manufacturer's warranty. Get the "first service" done now at a franchised dealer, and then try to keep to the manufacturer's schedule, even if this means getting it serviced again quite soon. I'm in a similar boat ~ the car I bought had done 4000 miles in 16 months. I had the first service done immediately, and I will have the second service done at 2 years from new, i.e. 8 months after I bought it. It's then back on schedule. I discussed the situation with my local dealer and he said that since the first service had been done at a franchised dealer (albeit late) there would be no problem.

Why not discuss your car's situation with your nearest dealer?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
missed service - Bill Payer
My wife's last car (1998 Renault Clio) had 2 yr service intervals. Each in between year I had a right to-do with the garage when I asked them to change the oil and give it a safety check - they really didn't want to take my money.
Main problem I experience with wife's cars (do around 3K miles/yr) is sticking front disk pads and rusting disks - due to lack of use/lack of maintenance.
missed service - Hugo {P}
A number of years ago I disposed of my sister's car, a 1.9td Citroen ZX. she bought this S/H from a Citroen Franchise dealer with a Hallmark Used Car Warranty

In the 4 months she owned it she did 10,000 miles in it and missed a service on it. She bought the oil and filter and got a friend to do an oil change at this point, but she still missed the service stamp etc.

Having asked me to sell it I suspected that this might have caused an issue with the warranty. As I was trying to get top dollar for it (and did in the end) I felt the remainder of the warranty was important to have.

I contacted the warranty admin people and explained the problem. They told me that the warranty could be reinstated provided that the "overdue" service was done at a franchise dealer. The car was also due for its next service, so I had two services combined and did not have to pay the full price for them both. Instead I was charged a bit over the most expensive service that covered their extra time spent on the car, as although each schedule overlapped, they also involved bits that the other didn't.

Having the warranty was a big plus with that car. My sister bought it from the dealer for £6k and wanted £5k for it 4 months later with another 10,000 miles on it. I thought this would have been a tall order, but I did it.

H
better late than never..thanks for the info hugo. I will phone the main dealer and see if they will do that for me. I will also ask the garage that I bought it from to contribute.
missed service - Hugo {P}
Tigerlily

Good move, but I suspect the garage may refer you to the warranty dept of that manufacturer. These are the guys that pay the warranty repair bills that come in from dealers.

If they don't refer you to the warranty dept, you should ask to speak to them, otherwise you risk getting the service receptionist's view on the situation and not the real truth.

H