Severe Rocker Failure Ford Fiesta - Steveo4869
Hi all,

When I pulled off the M-way after a 2 hr drive on Monday I noticed the car, Ford Fiesta XR2i 1.6 H Reg, had lost a lot of power and was reluctent to drive.

I got it home safely, back to London, but when I took the rocker cover off today I found the rocker arm, on the top left nearest the cam belt, No1 I think, had completely sheared off and cracked away from around the mounting and nut and was just lying sideways in the top of the head.

Would anybody know what may have caused this and would it be ok to just replace this damaged rocker arm or is it best to replace full set? And do you think the valve concerned may be damaged? Any advise much appreciated.
Steveo
Severe Rocker Failure Ford Fiesta - Altea Ego
I would check that something hasnt dropped into the piston. Broken rocker normally means something has hit the valve when its open.
Severe Rocker Failure Ford Fiesta - Steveo4869
Thanks RF. I was sort of hoping not to remove the head and was quite relived(ish) when I saw it was only a broken rocker. But like you said I suspected something in the piston. Better check.
Many Thanks
Steveo
Severe Rocker Failure Ford Fiesta - mfarrow
I would take off and strip the whole head. As RF says something may be down the cylinder somewhere. Lost any tools recently? :-)

It is my understanding also that cam are usually inherently balanced so that a contraction of one spring is balanced by the expansion of the other, hence less force is exerted on the cambelt. With one valve missing this balance doesn't happen. Replace cambelt as matter of course therefore when taking head off and don't drive the car.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Severe Rocker Failure Ford Fiesta - Civic8
If that is the CVH it could be tappet failure.or rather.In the old days tappets that were tapping. Due to cost at the time.were put in a vice and compressed to small extent.Making them slightly oval.This was all very well.But did tend to lock after so many miles and wrecked the head.Not saying yours is the case but a possible??
--
Steve