Vauxhall Corsa 96 1.4i engine fault lamp - djw
Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago my (fairly) reliable Corsa started to display the fault lamp on the dash. The code reads 28 which is 'Fuel pump relay contact problem.' I went to the dealer and picked up a new relay, and replaced the old one. The fault light went away, but I experienced slightly jerky deceleration and cruising around 2k/rpm. New spark plugs, oil change, injector cleaner, the car improves, until this evening and the fault code 28 returns. Does anyone have any idea of what to look at next? Also, how does the ECU know if there is a problem with the contacts in the relay?

Thanks... Damien.
Vauxhall Corsa 96 1.4i engine fault lamp - Aprilia
Check/replace the fuel pump fuse (F1- 20A). Also check the relay socket and fuel pump connections for corrosion.
Vauxhall Corsa 96 1.4i engine fault lamp - djw
Thanks... I checked each fuse in turn and they all appear to be in good condition, none of them had blown. There does not appear to be any corrosion around the relay socket, however I did note that it was located in a slightly different position to that indicated in the Haynes manual.

The fault light appears to light up intermittently, rather than being on constantly, it only comes on when a lower gear is selected and used for braking or accelerating. After this the light remains on.