1995 FIAT Punto 1.7 diesel - Crinkly Dave
Now that the laughter has died down...

Anyone ever taken the alternator off one of these? After nearly 3 hours I have finally got the thing loose and unbolted, but despite what Mr Haynes says, I cannot get the thing out from under the engine.

Am considering a) dropping engine at drivers side; b) removing steering pump completely (already have pipes off, radiator header tank off, air filter off, timing belt cover off); c) suicide or d) putting the thing back on and charging the battery up daily.

Needless to say, it's the daughter's car not mine.
1995 FIAT Punto 1.7 diesel - teabelly
Are you trying to drop it out via a wheel arch, the bottom of the engine or lift it up and out? If you have only tried one or two of those then the other seems like the likely solution :-) There isn't much room around my lancia engine and the only way the alternator comes out is via the driver's side wheel arch after all the belts are off and skin from all knuckles has been sliced and only if the alternator is manoeuvered in a certain way!

Alternatively let the alternator go then shake the car about until it drops out or something else important falls off to let it through :-)
teabelly
1995 FIAT Punto 1.7 diesel - Crinkly Dave
Teabelly. Thank you for the thoughts

Won't come out below as the driver's side driveshaft is in way. Removal would mean removal of drive shaft housing and unscrewing all the pins originally holding housing.
Mr Haynes says it will come out upwards.
Not on one fitted with power steering it won't.
OK, as per Haynes I now have the wheel off, inner wing shield off, cambelt cover off etc, and the alternator loose

Got the power steering pump off, but to get the long bolt clear needed to make the air pipe from turbo move over. To do this had to undo the 4 bolts on the air filter housing, and to do this needed to undo the 2 bolts holding the inlet pipes to the air filter. Decided to unbolt the power steering reservoir and move it clear, so can see better.

To lift alternator out, there is the power steering bracket in the way. Only 2 bolts, so easy.

Ah, the 2 bolts won't come out as they are shielded by the pulley to the water pump. Can get at the nuts to the pulley from below, with difficulty. Can't hold the pulley though at the same time. Son and wife not strong enough, and not willing to lie on floor to get at bolts. Stalemate.

FIAT why do you mock me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I lie on top of engine, hurling obscenities at all things italian I note a small amount of water on top of water pump. Obviously original pump, as has those horrible clips on the pipe. I wipe off water. It reappears.

I wipe it off. It reapears. It is blue water

It is my 60/40 fill of antifreeze. It is seeping out of the joint between the front face of the water pump and the rear. Perhaps I could cure it by tightening the bolts.

Of course, the bolts are shrouded by the water pump pulley.......................

Now, if I raise the car by 700 mm I could drain the radiator and undo the driveshafts etc, lower the engine to floor, and get at everything much easier. Need to hire an engine crane.

Pehaps I could put everthing back, fill rad with Radweld, take out bulb to alternator light, and buy a house on a hill