Peugeot 205 Engine Power Loss - Johnnyp
Would like to know if anyone has any idea on this please?

My 1991 1.6 205 GTi has recently lost power. It revs cleanly through the whole range, and can get to 70 OK, but feels a bit slow. Come to a hill, and no matter how much I press the accelerator to the floor, the revs start to fall off and speed drops.

Had the car in to a garage, checked the fuel pressure and voltages at plugs, all OK, but they could not find a problem.

Put it on to a rolling road, all the chap there could tell me was that it had high HC and he had to advance the timing to 21 degrees at idle to get any power, retard it anything less than this and the power drops away.

Changed all the leads, plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm etc, no joy. Compression good and equal accross all cylinders, cam timing checked and seems OK.

If any one has any ideas, or know of a garage in north Kent that could help, would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks
John
Peugeot 205 Engine Power Loss - Crinkly Dave
is the ignition advance and retard mechanical or electronic on Pug of this age?? Electronic from 1992 I am sure, but at this age...........

If mechanical, check to make sure the weights and springs are all there and not seized.
Peugeot 205 Engine Power Loss - madf
you have checked the air filter and air intake for obstructions?

madf

Peugeot 205 Engine Power Loss - RichardW
Whip the rocker cover off and have a look to make sure that the camshaft actually lines up with what the pin through the cam sprocket is telling you. There was a thread some time ago on another forum where a guy was having similar trouble with a 1.9 GTI BX, and it turned out that the woodruff key in the camshaft sprocket had broken, and although the pin said the cam lined up, the cam was miles out. Fortunately no bent valves....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 205 Engine Power Loss - springyboy
Are you certain the accelerator cable is operating over the full range. ?