2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - machika
I was out for a short while this evening, during which time I filled the car with fuel. Shortly afterwards, as I drove home, the multifunction display flashed up a message for a few seconds. It said that the diesel additive was at minimum. It only displayed the message once.

Does anyone know what this is referring to? I have a vague recollection that I have seen a mention of this somewhere, but I can't remember when or where. There is no mention in the handbook. The car has done approx 37K.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 20:43

C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - FP
Something to do with the burn-off of stuff trapped by the particle filter in the exhaust?
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - cheddar
I read in an internal Ford doc about the New Focus (given by a friendly bod at my local Ford dealership) that the 1.6 and 2.0 HDi/TDCi PSA/Ford engines have an additive chamber that is refilled at the approx 40k service, I do not know too much about it though meant to find out more. Sounds like the (earlier) 2.2 HDi has it as well, must be a PSA idea because the Ford chain cam 2.0 TDCi's (Mondeo) do not.

Regards.
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - RichardW
Yes, the particulate filter on the 2.2 HDi has an additive (called something weird - Ionyx or SLT). There's a reservoir stashed away somewhere in the boot, and IIRC it's supposed to be cleaned out and refilled at the 50k service. I'd monitor the warning - it might just be one of 'those Citroen things' or it may genuinely be getting empty. If the message comes up again, time to get it to the dealer to get it refilled - you don't want to risk busting the filter, 'cos that will be mega $$$$...!!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - machika
Thank you for your help.
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - PhilW
just looked at list of jobs on my last Cit Service sheet and it has
"Particle Filter and Eolys fluid level
Replace:
every 50,000 miles up to RPO 9491
every 75000 miles up to RPO 9492"
Don't know what RPO means though!

C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - PhilW
Also quite a bit about it here
www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/topic.asp?TOPIC...s
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - Quinny100
just looked at list of jobs on my last Cit Service
sheet and it has
"Particle Filter and Eolys fluid level
Replace:
every 50,000 miles up to RPO 9491
every 75000 miles up to RPO 9492"
Don't know what RPO means though!

RPO is just a representation of the build date - they started at 1 on 9/11/76 and added 1 each day of production so 9491 is 3/11/2002. Its probably so Joe Public don't know they're car has been sat in Citroen's compound for 6 months before they get it.

Be aware that the particle filter change costs anything up to £500 depending on where you go.
C5 2.2 HDI Diesel Additive - DL
£500 would be on the cheap side too - I've seen quotes of £1600 for this work before...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Didn't see any reference to the subject of this thread.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 20:44

In addition, I must say that £1600 is a bit outlandish.

Does anyone know why the 2.2 HDI engine needs a particulate filter in the first place? The 2.0 HDI doesn't need one as far as I know and I can't understand why they have persisted with this engine in the new C5 (auto version) when it is not used in the 407.

These cars are certainly not going to be popular as they get old, with this kind of expense cropping up periodically.