Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Aprilia
I went to check over a '04 Mondeo at a car supermarket - a 'friend of a friend' is looking for one.
I was a bit surprised to find it fitted with Hankook tyres, and given the low mileage (9k) thought there might be a 'story' behind this. I couldn't imagine that Ford would fit Hankook at the factory.

Imagine my surprise then when I found this news item:

www.tyres-online.co.uk/archives/newsjun04.asp

So it seems Hankook are now a Ford OEM supplier.

Has anyone got a Mondeo so fitted? Are the tyres OK or should my potential purchaser budget for a new set of Goodyear/Conti, whatever?

I did get savaged by one poster in the past for suggesting that Kumho tyres were OK (I drove briefly on a set and they seemed very good to me) - but what of the Hankooks?
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Robin Reliant
One day in the not too distant future almost every thing we drive will be made in the far east. It is cheaper to manufacture there, and it doesn't matter to Ford where their tyres come from. Tyre technology is not rocket science, and I would think Hankook are just as capable of making a top range tyre as anyone else. It is not all that long ago that Bridgestones were considered cheap and nasty, and look at them now.
One day in the not too distant future almost every thing
we drive will be made in the far east. It is
cheaper to manufacture there, and it doesn't matter to Ford where
their tyres come from.

Strangely enough it is actually not as cheap to manufacture in S. Korea (where Hankook are based) as you might think. I was recently doing some consultancy work for a UK company making electronic assemblies for the automotive industry. We had some S Koreans come over and were suprised that in the (relatively low) volumes being manufactured they were actually more expensive than the UK company. I gather UK workers at Samsung and LG now actually earn less per week than their S Korean counterparts.

>>Tyre technology is not rocket science.

Well, I'm not expert, but I suspect that tyre technology is not trivial.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - henry k
So it seems Hankook are now a Ford OEM supplier.
Has anyone got a Mondeo so fitted? Are the tyres
OK or should my potential purchaser budget for a new set
of Goodyear/Conti, whatever?

I had a look at the Mondeo boys site.
There is a comment re Hankook as OE supplier for Mondeos.
I saw no adverse reports, only good reports on Hankook.
Not the ultimate survey but encouraging.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Imagos
I'm sure Ford would not use a tyre supplier if they had not done exhaustive research into the performance, handling Characteristics etc as Firestone will confirm..
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Stuartli
Hancook tyres on test:

www.tyretest.com/index.html

forums.performancecar.co.nz/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=...0

www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=ST&f...&

This link reveals Michelin to obtain a $33m stake in Hancook to form a stratigic alliance, which will also allow Hankook to use Michelin's PAX-system run-flat technology.

www.tyres-online.co.uk/archives/newsfeb03.asp
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - kithmo
I've got 205/50/17 93Y XL Hankook ventus sport K104 tyres on my 2001 Mk3 Mondeo V6. Compared to the Bridgestone S02A I had on before, the Hankooks grip as good in the dry and better in the wet, wear rating is twice as high (wear slower), they have an alloy wheel rim protector, are extra load rated and cost half the price. The Bridgestones cost me £125 each, including fitting and balance etc. The Hankooks cost me £56 each from the mytyres.co.uk web site, including delivery and it cost me a further £10 each for fitting and balancing at a local tyre shop. Ford may be on a cost cutting exercise buying Hankooks instead of Continental and Bridgestone and the like, but IMO it is certainly not a derisory move.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - machika
I asked a question about Hankook tyres a little while ago and got no response whatsoever. I put it down to my post being invisible.

The do get good ratings on www.mytyres.co.uk, which is what I said at the time. I intend to try them out next time I need new tyres.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - cheddar
I've got 205/50/17 93Y XL Hankook ventus sport K104 tyres on
my 2001 Mk3 Mondeo V6. Compared to the Bridgestone S02A I
had on before, the Hankooks grip as good in the dry
and better in the wet, wear rating is twice as high
(wear slower), they have an alloy wheel rim protector, are extra
load rated and cost half the price. The Bridgestones cost me
£125 each, including fitting and balance etc. The Hankooks cost me
£56 each from the mytyres.co.uk web site, including delivery and it
cost me a further £10 each for fitting and balancing at
a local tyre shop. Ford may be on a cost cutting
exercise buying Hankooks instead of Continental and Bridgestone and the like,
but IMO it is certainly not a derisory move.

V- good deal! I paid £360 for four Bridgestones in the same size, that was a big saving on the £460 quoted for Contis.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - ihpj
I think we've touched on this topic before? I'm sure Hankooks are a good tyre, and apart from saving money for Ford, they might actually be a very good and competant tyre. A lot of these so called 'budget makes' are subsidiaries of more well known tyre companies. Some are independant but many of the big boys will have a stake/share in these companies.

I've posted before, but when we bought my wife's 330, it came with a set of four spanking new 'Nankang NS-II yada-yada' tyres. To me absolute surprise they have proved very good and competant tyres. Technology on rubber and tread pattern has come a long way from the 'old days' for both the branded and obscure companies out there, but I'm sure with (thanks) to the EU - there has to be some sort of uniformity to the tyres as there is to the brakes. So standards are up, quality is up and price varying.

But I'm sure veryone remembers the last Ford Tyre scandal (the one with Firesotne tyres and the Ford Explorer?) - I'm sure Ford have thought this one through ;)
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Marc
Is the Firestone brand still marketed in the UK? I haven't been offered (or seen) them for several years.

I have noticed that a lot of new shape Mondeos come with Bridgestone tyres however and thought this was the brand the company was now using here (I'm aware that Bridgestone own the Firestone brand)

I'm sure the Hankooks are fine but it does sound like the bean counters at Ford have been involved here, I personally would expect a "big name" brand of tyre on a new car.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - ihpj
I personally
would expect a "big name" brand of tyre on a new
car.

Marc, I've heard some rumours that new VWs/Audis will have non-premium brand name tyres fitted as OE. Ford aren't alone on this - so watch this space!
VW have been fitting Kumho tyres for a couple of years; I've seen this with my own eyes. I think its the Kumho 'Powermax' or some such name.
a silly question really but what's OEM mean?
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - blue_haddock
original equipment manufacturer
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Dynamic Dave

Original Equipment Manufacturer
thanks dave.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Dynamic Dave
thanks dave.

In all fairness to "blue_haddock", he did pip me to the post in replying before I did.
>> thanks dave.
In all fairness to "blue_haddock", he did pip me to the
post in replying before I did.

Of course thanks to Mr Haddock too for answering this question so quickly. I have seen OEM many times before particually in handbooks but never knew what it meant. d'oh!!
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - blue_haddock
basically it's what is on the vehicle when it comes off the production line.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - SjB {P}

To be pedantic, Original Equipment Manufacture. (no 'r')
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - SjB {P}

To be pedantic, Original Equipment Manufacture. (no 'r')

I should add that I mean in the context of the part itself fitted to a vehicle.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Stuartli
VW have been fitting Kumho tyres for a couple of years>>

Kumho has usually come out well in group tyre tests including those conducted by a well known consumer rights magazine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Altea Ego
>Is the Firestone brand still marketed in the UK

Firestone as a brand name is all but finished. The debacle of the Ford Explorer fitted with Firestone tyres and susbsequent bad press has killed Firestone as a brand name world wide.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - cheddar
>Is the Firestone brand still marketed in the UK
Firestone as a brand name is all but finished. The debacle
of the Ford Explorer fitted with Firestone tyres and susbsequent bad
press has killed Firestone as a brand name world wide.

Wife's Clio has four Firestones bought approx 18 months ago, AFAIK the tyre dealer in quesion is still doing them, understand that Bridgestone own Firestone now.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Soupytwist
My 02 SEAT Ibiza diesel came with Firestones on it when I purchased it as an ex-demo. I bought some replacement Firestones for the front a couple of weeks ago.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - ratty
Aprilla,

I have these on a mondeo and they seem fine. The supermarket supplied them with the pressures too high and this increased the tendency to wheel spin in the lower gears, but are much better with pressures as recommended.

Which? made them a recommended IIRC, but michelin were the best buy. I will try pilot primacy next hoping for as quiet as possible.

WRT a supermarket mondeo I was surprised that my ex-rental TDCI 130 with 9K has benefited from being revved into the red line fairly often. I'm still not sure that I can live with the uncomfortable (for me) seat though.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - Truckosaurus
On the 'cheapo' OEM brands fitted as standard, TVR recently were fitting Toyo Proxes on their cars.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - quizman
A friend's brand new VW van has got Hankook tyres fitted. I was surprised when I saw them, I would have expected "name" tyres on a new vehicle.

I suppose manufacturers could put in cheap oil, cheap bearings,and cheap radios to save costs. No wonder there are so many complaints.
Hankook as OEM tyre on Mondeo? - midlifecrisis
I put a couple of Khumos on the front of my ZT. I'm not too impressed with them. Lost a lot of feel through the steering. Resorted to Continentals on the back, much better.