New Mondeo Alloys - Dave Etchells
I am certain this will have been discussed elsewhere, reference other cars but I need to ask anyway. When I wash my car it appears much easier to clean the brake dust off the front wheels than the rear. Is there a different grade of pad used on the rear?
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Andy P
This is down to the front pads being used more than the rears. When you brake, the front pads do most of the work, so produce more brake dust. This aslo makes the whole wheel/brake system hotter. So, the brake dust is almost baked onto the wheel at the front. As the rear is used less and remains cooler, you don't get the same problem.

Andy
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Kev
Erm, didn't he say the exact opposite? That the front wheels are easier to clean? I can't help you sorry, but I can confirm that there are more cars with mucky rear wheels than front ones.
Wonder if its something to do with the rear ones not being used as much, and they just collect. Then when they are used you have a lot more comes off.

Not much help, sorry, Kev
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - KB
Either way, if you use a spray wheel cleaner they come up clean. There's an acid in all the different makes so take care of paintwork / eyes etc.
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Nicholas Moore
Use Autoglym Clean wheels which is acid based. If you have alloys with a non-conventional finish, especially lacking lacquer, use the alkaline Autoglym Engine cleaner, or risk ruining them!
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Richard P
I think it could be that rear brake pads are usually a softer compund than ones used at the front, therefore producing more dust.
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Keith
I notice that my back wheels get dirtier than the front in this weather (salted roads etc.) and I have drums on the back.

In summer the fronts get dirtier than the back
Re: New Mondeo Alloys - Nicholas Moore
More likely just that the rear pads are newer, so contact the disc earlier than the (older and thinner) pads on the front. The rear wheels on my Rover 600 now get more brake dust than the fronts following a new set of rear pads.