Why buy second hand. - midlifecrisis
I was one of the many that said I would never buy a brand new car. However, I've been back looking at Leon 1.9TDi Cupras and dealers want £14995 for 04 plates. Internet brokers are offering brand new UK cars for £14000 and looking on the cupranet site, others have achieved £14500 from dealers. I'm thinking about one, but with the impending arrival of the new version, I think there may be some offers on the way to clear old shape stock.
Why buy second hand. - Jono_99
I'm in much the same opinion - never bought new and thought that I never would. However, view is that at some point 'soon' (whatever that time is), there will appear in the RH column of this web site some pretty special deals for old shape Leons. As there were for the old shape Golfs (whenever that was)

My guess is that the offers will not be as great as some recently seen (such as the Rover 75 1.8) unless Seat have really mucked up the production schedules.

We can but wait and hope

Jono
Why buy second hand. - machika
I think you have answered your own question with regard to the current model. You certainly should never pay more for a second hand version of something, when you can get a brand new one for less. What is there to be gained from doing so? I have said as much to Citroen dealers in the past, when I have been looking at used Citroens. They seem to have no knowledge of what can be obtained on the internet.
Or should I say, they pretend not to know.
Why buy second hand. - MichaelR
Why? Becuase there is always something better, used.

Why spend £15k on a brand new Seat Leon diesel when the same moeny gets a used Mondeo ST TDCi, a better car in every way?

Why spend £18k on a brand new Mondeo ST TDCi, when the same money gets a used BMW 330d/530d, a better car?

Why spend £30k on a brand new E Class when the same money etc etc...
Why buy second hand. - Mattster
Michael, I was of exactly the same opinion as you - I've been through a variety of second hand cars. Then I bought an Alfa 156 but we won't go into that.......

When trying to decide on next, and considering both new and used, there really wasn't much in it. The purchase price is irrelevant, it's the depreciation that counts (along with all the other running and ownershiop costs).

I found that a brand new £16k Honda Civic Type-R would cost me around £5k all-in to run for 1 year / 10,000 miles. Alternatively, a second-hand £7k Audi A3 1.8T would have cost about £4,500. Relatively little difference, so I bought the Honda.

To seriously beat down the cost, you need to look at beat-up or risky high-milers. To the average Joe, that can end up costing even more as I found out on the Alfa.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
When trying to decide on next, and considering both new and
used, there really wasn't much in it. The purchase price
is irrelevant, it's the depreciation that counts (along with all the
other running and ownershiop costs).

The purchase price isn't irrelevant at all, as it will ultimately limit how much depreciation can be lost on a car over its limetime.

Discussion in this forum is very often fixed on how much depreciation is lost on a car during its first 3 years, but not all of us change our cars after such a short time. The longer a car is kept, the more relevant its initial purchase price.
Why buy second hand. - mountainkat
Have you looked around the internet for the equivalent used car ??

Lots of bargain "nearly new" vehicles around at much less than New (broker or dealer prices) - need to look a little harder I think & you'll probably save yourself another £2000
I thought the original post was directed at buying like for like. In other words, being asked to pay more (or almost the same) for a second hand Leon, than a new one. This was the gist of my reply (or I thought it was).

I have no gripes about buying second hand anything but I have about paying through the nose for it.
Why buy second hand. - cdbr
If you are happy to buy used, why not wait till the new model arrives which will hit the used prices of old models. This will save you money and lessen the effect of depreciation.

Alternatively, with the market the way it is, the new model will soon be available at discounts. Haven't seen the new Leon yet but judging the good impression the recent new models have made I reckon the new one will be worth having a good think about.
Why buy second hand. - Avant
There are some pictures of the new Leon (protoype, anyway) in this week's Autocar and Auto Express. Fatuously, Auto Express manages to imply that the reduced glass area is a good thing.

Probably best to go for the old model, new or used, or an Altea if you definitely want a SEAT.
I can't decide on the colour of my socks, let alone which car to buy. As mentioned, the post referred to paying more for a particular used vehicle than a new one. I've been focused on used BMW/Audis for a while. On reflection I thought it silly to pay the same for a four year old BMW, out of warranty, than a capable but 'badgeless' new car. I really fancied an A3, but the Leon is substantially cheaper and not that different.
Why buy second hand. - Paul Robinson
MLC

With the sort of budget you're talking about, I think you need to include a large-ish element of letting the heart rule the head. Beyond the basics of a vehicle meeting your needs for space and other practical considerations, if you're spending that much money it should also be providing you with a great deal of pleasure. Pleasure is an individual emotional factor that you can't approach too logically. Try lots of possible cars and buy the one you really like!
This is exactly where the problem lies. I love my ZT. It's a fantastic drive and has been totally reliable. Only problem is that I really need a large hatch/estate, preferrably a diesel. I never like to buy the same car twice, so a ZT-T is out and the depreciation has been (unjustly) bad. I've never felt this attached to a car before.
Why buy second hand. - Paul Robinson
I know you say you never like to buy the same car twice, but the ZT-T is not the same car as the ZT. If you really love your ZT and the only problem is that you really need an estate, why not bend your own rules a bit!
Why buy second hand. - tunacat
>>>"I found that a brand new £16k Honda Civic Type-R would cost me around £5k all-in to run for 1 year / 10,000 miles. Alternatively, a second-hand £7k Audi A3 1.8T would have cost about £4,500. Relatively little difference, so I bought the Honda."

Mattster,

Slightly off the actual thread, but if you can find an Audi A3 1.8T for £7k, how does it lose/cost another £4500 in 1 year and 10,000 miles?
Why buy second hand. - cheddar
>>>"I found that a brand new £16k Honda Civic Type-R would
cost me around £5k all-in to run for 1 year /
10,000 miles. Alternatively, a second-hand £7k Audi A3 1.8T would have
cost about £4,500. Relatively little difference, so I bought the Honda."
Mattster,
Slightly off the actual thread, but if you can find an
Audi A3 1.8T for £7k, how does it lose/cost another £4500
in 1 year and 10,000 miles?

Perhaps it was supposed to say £17k instead of £7k, just a thought!
Why buy second hand. - tunacat
Ah yes, that's probably it.

Would be more interesting to compare the new Civic with a used A3 that was priced at £11k (i.e. you've already 'gained' what the Civic was going to cost you over that 1 year period.)

I can't decide on the colour of my socks, let alone
which car to buy. As mentioned, the post referred to paying
more for a particular used vehicle than a new one. I've
been focused on used BMW/Audis for a while. On reflection I
thought it silly to pay the same for a four year
old BMW, out of warranty, than a capable but 'badgeless' new
car. I really fancied an A3, but the Leon is substantially
cheaper and not that different.

Thank you for confirming that my understanding of the original post was correct.

I would agree with you about a BMW, unless you really want one.