95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - richy
My 1995 MK3 diesel Fiesta has been a bad starter from cold, so I invested in 4 new NGK glowplugs a couple of weeks ago and it is still just as bad. It turns over fine and will go after about 15-20 secs emmitting a cloud of smoke when it fires up. The car runs fine when warm, no smoke, burns no oil, no noisier than it should be and still returns correct MPG.

The new glowplugs have'nt really made any difference. The old old ones did'nt look that bad at all. For reference so far this year the car has had oil and filter change, new air and fuel filter and has 87000 miles on the clock.

I have checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and they are all fine. I suspect maybe the glowplug relay is falty. Any idea where the relay is located and how to test for this?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - madf
Does the glowplug dashboard warning light come one when you switch on ignition ?

If no then the relay is faulty.

My Haynes manual says:
it's beside the auxiliary fusebox. - at the rear left hand corner of the engine bay.There are 2 securing clips holding on a plastic cover.

madf

95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - richy
madf,

Yes the glow plug light does come on as normal but I always beleived that to be on a timer rather than a true indication that the plugs are working. Haynes manual must be for petrol only cause mine has no auxilary fuses or relays under the bonnet...
95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - madf
My Haynes manual I quoted to you had a section on diesel engines..Mark 4/5 Fiesta.
If yours is a Mark3 (to Oct '95?)then my other manual does not cover it.

madf

95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - RichardW
Just putting a volt meter between the supply wire for the plugs and earth will tell you if they are getting voltage. If they are and as they are new, then you can assume they are working. What happens if you pump the diesel primer first? Is this engine fitted with a cold start device, and is it working? Have you had a compression test done, or checked the valve clearances?

Try with the volt meter and the fuel primer, and see where that gets you.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
95 1.8 Diesel Fiesta bad starting - Chris N
Don't know if you've solved this one yet. I have an identical vehicle, and ended up replacing the battery and glow plugs before finally nailing the problem. (The battery was a bit old, but the plugs were pretty good. I went for NGK ones though.)
I found that the fuel lines were leaking air when the engine was stopped. After about 8 hours (time it took for the engine to go properly cold) the fuel had drained back down to the tank. When I came to start it, it took 15-20 seconds of churning (and these ford diesels do seem to turn over slowly) before it caught in a cloud of smoke. The pushfit connectors on the fuel filter were to blame- if you stop the engine with the bonnet open you might be able to hear it, although don't be confused by the servo brakes leaking back up to atmosphere.

I replaced all the pipes from the flow and return on the firewall (under the servo) to the pump (via filter) and back. This cured the problem, and it now starts promptly.