Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - homer 1
I have a w reg focus that has a hole in the back box exhaust, i have been told that because the car has had the same exhast system from new i have to replace the whole system including cat converter (over £300 fitted) Other people (friends) have told me this does not seem right , I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thankyou Katherine
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - madf
The simplest answer Katherine is one word which would fail the swear filter:-).

It is of course wrong: the rest of the system may be rusty but provided it is not leaking you only need replace the back box.

Catalysts should only be replaced when they have failed: either becoming blocked (no engine power), holed or failing MOT emissions test.

Go elsewhere: they are ripping you off.

madf

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - henry k
The simplest answer Katherine is one word which would fail the swear filter:-).
Go elsewhere: they are ripping you off.

I agree with madf

If it is the original exhaust system then to Quote Haynes
re "1.8 and 2.0 litre models"
"The catalytic converter is mounted vertically, below the manifold."
You can see it at the front of the engine.
"A short intemediate pipe,containing a flexible section, connects the converter to the factory-fitted one-piece rear section, which contains the centre and rear silencers
to renew either silencer, the original rear section must be cut through mid-way between the centre and rear silencers."

Later, Haynes defines the cutting point on the pipe to the nearest mm.

My Focus has the outer skin of the rear box holed.
I expected an MoT failure so I called in on a well known chain for a quote.
Sucking of teeth and " well that is a replacement from front to back cos it is all one piece........."
IIRC almost £200. No thanks. Pointed it out at the MoT and got an emphatic " That is OK"
So the same approach applies to oldies like me.

So armed with the above you can shop around.
Good Luck.
Thankyou very much for this information, i have just just got a quote of a web site of £175 V.A.T for a middle box,rear box and the connecting pipes which henry k spoke of fitted, (thankyou) They called me to say they would advice that i do get a new middle box even though the hole is only in the rear as i quote" to start cutting through pipes and welding parts together is not what they would advice or do, marrying an old part to a new part is neither profesional or advisable" i know it may be "garage talk" but this man sounded very geniune and honest after i had told him what you guys said and therefore think i will go to this garage (if you both agree this is the thing to do) much better than £328 V.A.T. what do you think Katherine.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - mjm
I don't know how you use the car, ie whether you do mostly short runs, etc. The tendency with exhaust systems is for the back box to go first because it doesn't get as hot as the rest of the system. This means that natural condensation from the engine exhaust gases tend to collect in the back box and rot it away from the inside. Short, local runs make this worse. It could be that the centre box is still perfectly ok. If the Haynes manual states it, then it is probably a well known procedure, probably not involving any welding. I suppose the only real way to tell is by putting the car on a ramp and examining it.
As an example, I do runs of about 12 miles each way, generally along open roads, and have found that the middle box on my vehicle a BX, petrol, last for 3 back boxes.
To be honest, I think this is still a bit of a "try on" by the supplier.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - elekie&a/c doctor
If you only need a back silencer box,all you need is a new back box & a joiner sleeve;Even Ford do this as a repair kit.Don't get persuaded you need parts that are not worn out.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - pmh
Sales rubbish.

Assuming that the set up is similar to the Fiesta (where the factory fit is a one piece system that can only be installed at manufacture time before the rear suspension beam is fitted), it is straight forward to cut the pipe in the correct position and fit a new rear box with a clamp. In fact all replacement systems come with a join at this point anyway. The only requireemnt will be that the rest of the system is in good condition.

There will be no welding involved.

www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_display.php?txtmodel...D

Back box about £30 +VAT !

Find a decent small independent garage (not a chain) and you will probably get change out £70! Most cars go through 2 or 3 rear boxes for every middle box.

--
pmh (was peter)

Thankyou all for these replies, real eye openers, and yes i do make small journeys (the school run)guess its not such a big job after all (i hope)
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - madf
agree totally with advice above. My wife's car (Peugeot 106 so a bit smaller than youirs) has had 3 separate sections of exhaust ftted over the past 5 years : all different..(It's 11 years old): by our local small garage.. £65 was the most expensive ).

Cutting the original end box and a length of pipe off and fitting a replacement is STANDARD practice: no welding needed.

(I'm afraid many garages work on the principle of "ripoff the customer especially if they are wimmin"):-(

madf

Hmmmm!!!
To my knowledge the most common exhaust replacement is "the back box" or rear silencer.
These come with the front part of the pipe designed to fit over the retained pipe from the middle box. A simple u shaped clamp is then put round , two nuts tightened at that is it.

One simple cut with a hacksaw in the designated place is the most technical part of the job.
Haynes says "The cutting point between the centre and rear silencers is 2033mm back from the face of the front flange joint"
There is NO welding is required just clamps and rubber blocks to hang the parts on..

Do have a look at this diagram and prices.
www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_details.php?recordID...6
I know they are not Ford parts but I doubt if you were quoted for genuine Ford parts.
With these prices there seems to be a very high labour charge????

I leave you to assess the overall situation.
I think you now have a reasonable picture.
I think you can now "discuss" what is required from a better base. Good luck
We await the outcome
Glad we are all singing from the same song sheet.
When typing my posting I was interrupted and did not review what others had meanwhile posted hence my duplication of advice.
Once again thankyou to everybody for all your help, im EXHAUSTED (sorry LOL).>> Glad we are all singing from the same song sheet.
When typing my posting I was interrupted and did not review
what others had meanwhile posted hence my duplication of advice.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - Dynamic Dave
Katherine,

If you *have* to "quote original text", please can you do it before typing your reply?

Ta ever so much.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - L'escargot
Take the car to a Ford RapidFit centre. Ask them to put the car on a ramp so that you can see, and discuss with them, exactly what is what regarding the exhaust system. You will get good advice, and the parts they subsequently fit will be genuine Ford parts (which will fit correctly and will be as durable as the original) at a very competitive price.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Exhaust - L'escargot
P.S. I had a replacement middle box and rear box on a 2.0 Focus fitted by RapidFit exactly two years ago for £184.95 ~ less my Gold Card 10% discount which I qualified for because I bought the car new from that dealer. It had a two year guarantee. Incidentally, the rear box will last for months (perhaps even years)after it becomes holed in the outer skin. And this is not grounds for an MOT failure ~ well, not at a RapidFit centre anyway.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.