Does your car have legal tints? - Round The Bend
Colleague of mine picked up his newly purchased two year old PT Cruiser on Monday. On the drive back on the A11 from the dealer he was pulled over by the law and told that the heavily tinted side windows may not pass new regulations introduced January this year. The plod dug out his new gismo and found that the windows only let 25% light through instead of the permitted level of 70%.
Plod wanted him to tear off the tints there and then (which colleague later found out would have damaged the windows) but relented. With the purchase paperwork in the car, my colleague was able to demonstrate that he had only just picked it up and plod eventually allowed him to continue home without imposing an on-the-spot 30 quid fine and 6 points.
Needless to say, a very interesting conversation followed with his dealer ..........

Does your car have legal tints? - martint123
Saw in the paper that local plod had an amnesty last (or maybe next) weekend in Hull whilst doing tests FOC for the local boy racers - public car park or similar place.
Does your car have legal tints? - AR-CoolC
Plod wanted him to tear off the tints there and then (which colleague later found out would have damaged the windows) but relented.

Removing the film will not damage the glass, it will make a good old mess that will take a long time to clean up. But it won't damage the glass.

(Glass-Tech)
Does your car have legal tints? - Happy Blue!
How do you remove tints applied at the dealers? Those on the rear doors of our Trajet are too dark and I want them off to replace them with something less drug runner style and more simply to protect against the sun.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Does your car have legal tints? - keo-the-dog
you might not be able to as it may be the glass which is tinted and not a film , if it is only a film a new single edge utility blade should remove it with care but you will probably have to remove the glass from the door . especially if it's shrink film, use thinners or similar to clean the residue off the glass...cheers...keo.
Does your car have legal tints? - Cliff Pope
If 75% of the light is stopped by the "windows", surely that means you are failing to see most of what is going on outside the car?
Does your car have legal tints? - Schnitzel
It just means your irises will be open wider, which reduces your visions depth of field (the range of distances that can be in focus at once) and if you have defective vision it will make the effects worse. A woman at work has windows that look black on the outside and she knocked someone of a moped (very low speed <5mph) but she claims not to have seen her. D'oh!
Does your car have legal tints? - martint123
but she claims not to have seen her

Happens all the time to two wheelers - even with plain glass. Often referred to as SMIDSY 'sorry mate I didn't see you'.

Does your car have legal tints? - ihpj
I would hazard a guess that your Chum was quite lucky because the Police could have issued him with what is known as a 'PG9' certificate which allows a Traffic Officer to certify a car as 'not road legal' (usually with immidiate effect) and require the owner to make right the 'defects' or face prosecution if he doens't comply.

I doubt the police would have made an immidiate requirement to remove the tint and I seriously doubt that they would issue a Fixed Penalty (which incidentally is £60 and 3 points and NOT £30) and would favour a VDRS (like a PG9 but doesn't require vehicle to be taken off the road immidiately) or the PG9.

The device you refer to has been in widespread use in the US and Europe and determines how much light is able to pass through the tinted window. Current UK legislation prohibits ANY tint to the windscreen, front passenger and drivers' windows. I assume they were referring to the rear passenger windows? And yes there is new legislation for that - primarily to increase road safety and we don't have scorching sun shine in this country that requires a heavy tint to the windows now do we? :)
Does your car have legal tints? - keo-the-dog
legislation on rear windows, since when, surely that will kill off the stretch limo trade ... might be a good thing they are a menace locally on friday and saturday nights...cheers...keo.
Does your car have legal tints? - Kevin
Jeez, am I likely to get done for wearing sunglasses while driving now?

Kevin...
Does your car have legal tints? - Timaru

Just a mo! I thought most cars had a very slight tint to the glass and if this is illegal what is the situation re. heat reflecting windscreens?