GOLF MK 3 Replace off-side wishbone - chuffed
Hi, I have found out that the gaining access to the front bush retaining bolt is far as straight forward as on earlier Golfs and Audis - the proximity of the sump makes access to the M18 shouldered bolt head (M19 normally) quite restricted both to undo and to extract. So, with fingers crossed that I didn't break/crack any linkages or exhaust bits I jacked the engine up from under the sump (all padded etc). I had previously tried an M18 ring and combo spanner but without any luck - not enough leaverage. I gained access, but I just could not shift the bolt even using an extended bar to 24" - it just bent - thankfully it sprung back. My 3/4" bar is stronger but only goes down to an M22. You are limited to the amount of force you can apply using a 1/2"-3/4" adapter and a 1/2" M18 socket. Any advice as to how to loosen would be appreciated - even as to where I could get an M18 3/4" drive socket. Stuart.
GOLF MK 3 Replace off-side wishbone - Civic8
>>I jacked the engine up from under the sump (all padded etc)

Do you mean directly on sump.or by crossmember under sump if there is one??.Cant answer your question but you cannot jack up the sump.No matter how much padding you use..Very Dangerous.Likely to break engine mounts apart from damage to sump..If I misread then I apologise!
--
Steve
GOLF MK 3 Replace off-side wishbone - chuffed
Hi Steve, Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you pointing out your concerns. I should have said that I loosened all the mounting bolts so I was only lifting the engine at one side. I had jacked the car up and supported it safely. Normally I wouldn't have dreamt of jacking directly under the sump but there is no other area lifting/jacking point. The u/s of the sump appears to be ribbed and strengthened and I was only on a corner using a proper trade jack that has a large, pivotted disc that has a large, fitted rubber matt over the top. Too keep the story short I didn't state that my first thoughts were to remove the sump - I drained the oil and loosened all the bolts apart from two at the near side end of the sump. The sump shallows off here with the end just going inside the bell-housing of the gearbox - I couldn't access these last two bolts!! So, I changed the oil (and filter whilst I was at it) with needing to! Hence, the only way was the jack up the engine. Regards, Stuart
GOLF MK 3 Replace off-side wishbone - gingerwizard
these bolts are a right pain, they seize solid to the bush inner metal sleeve. and once you start to turn the bolt head the inner sleeve just rips it self away from the rubber bonding.then as you turn this on the captive thread the sleeve hits the inner surface of the subframe and stops and if you try and force it either the bolt snaps or the thread strips either way your screwed.you can try and soak the area with penetrating fluid but its never worked for me. there is no easy way as far as i'm aware. i've even had to replace subframes because of this problem.
GOLF MK 3 Replace off-side wishbone - sails north
hello chuffed, a half inch impact wrench possibly with a universal joint will shift it. ive got a 12v one - great for situations such as yours.