Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Demon
1994 Mondeo 1.8 TD for two weeks stopped being the good starter it was. Have always let glow plugs have two goes before starting, since I've had it (a year) and has always started OK. Filter head is only 6 moths old, have changed fuel filter and seals. Sure its not air in system anyhow as once it's warm, it'll start instantly, until it's been left to stand for about 7 or 8 hours, plus starts after turning over for about 30 seconds when I get back to it after work, as opposed to a good minute first thing in these frosty mornings, which can't be doing any good! Kicks out a heap of grey smoke when it finally starts up. Time glow plug light takes to go out does get quicker but won't go out as quickly as it did before when I've tried it a couple of times (used to after about a second if I let them have three or four goes!) Am thinking I should change glow plugs this weekend but would like to be sure before spending the time/money. Also they are gonna be a pain to get to under all them cables! Other concern is that they seemed to go suddenly rather than tire over time (is this normal?), although as I said, have always fired them up twice before turning ignition on to get an instant start as opposed to a eeh eeh eeh brooom... anyway. Any advice or ideas and tips on doing this job on these ugly beasts would be much appreciated! Sorry to be long winded, just trying to cover everything!
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Greg R
It could be:

Glow Plugs
Battery
Starter Motor
Engine worn.

I would have guessed it was the plugs.
.*********
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Dynamic Dave
Care to re-phrase that without upsetting the swearfilter this time?

DD.
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Civic8
I Dont have a Mondeo.Do have a diesel.My glow plugs packed up within a week.I did as you for a while. ie light on off twice. as week went on.. was taking over 10 minutes to start.New set later only needs light on once.Starts first flik of starter.Not saying you havent got something else wrong..Try getting them tested before you replace..
--
Steve
Don't recalling swearing back there...!? Either it was something really gentle that the commoners round here use everyday, or my language is so filthy I don't even realise I'm doing it anymore! What I was saying was something along the lines of... Don't think the engine could be worn, it hasn't even done 70k yet though will soon on my 400-odd miles a week! Keep it well oiled and all that! Shouldn't be the battery seeing as it's managing to turn the car over for a good minute or so twice a day without showing signs of weakening. Know nothing about starter motors so if anyone can elaborate on that as a possibility, then great. While I'm on, how much do you guys reckon it should be costing for a new set of plugs? It appears I could pick up a set for around £20 at the moment. And seeing as I don't have the facility to do it myself, is it really worth paying somebody for the privilege of telling me what I might know already, when at least if I change them I know that the car's got a nice new set to be getting on with even if they don't cure it..? Will have to check the records to see when they were last replaced, around about how long should you expect a dealer fitted set to last..? Thanks for your help people.
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Civic8
Depends on the make fitted.Mine had done 136000 on second set.previous set changed at 85k..Cant answer for ford.NGK fitted to mine..
--
Steve
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Robin Reliant
How crisply does the starter motor turn? I have the same car as you, 1996 vintage and I had problems with a lazy starter which expired completely in the end. It is apparantly a known problems with early Mondeo diesels.
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - none
Not familiar with the engine, but does it have a EGR valve? If it does, a faulty one can cause the problems you describe. Easy enough to disable / blank off, and if it cures the problem leave it blanked off. There's a good chance that it's glow plugs though.
It does have an EGR valve, will try blanking that off anyway if someone can tell me exactly how to do it! Had a shot at that before to cure another problem but it seemed to cause smoke from the exhaust(?!), not sure I did it right so just put things back! As to the starter motor, it sounds like it's trying hard enough to be honest, ie no gaps between each try or any sluggishness.
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - Chris N
Demon- don't be too hasty assuming there isn't air getting into the fuel system. I had a very similar problem on a Fiesta D (non turbo), and was giving it two goes on the plugs, before eventually replacing them. This helped a bit, but it was still taking 20 seconds to catch after standing for a day, but would restart promptly for 12 hours after being used. Eventually tracked it down to the little push connectors on the fuel lines, which were leaking (and I could hear them sucking air in once the engine was stopped.) A new fuel filter and a couple of metres of fuel hose cured the problem, making it almost as quick to start as a PSA engine!
Mondeo TD - glow plugs, right? - none
Demon,
I'm only familiar with the old Transit 2.5di engine EGR valves. On those a pipe rises from the exhaust manifold to the valve and operating diaphragm mechanism, another pipe from the valve goes to the inlet manifold. I used to undo the flange (exhaust side to valve) and put a blanking plate in place of the gasket, then plug all the vacuum pipes(probably unnecessary). It's dead easy to get to on a Transit. This often used to sort out the following probs. Poor starting, clouds of acrid smoke, stalling when cold. Didn't cause any problems at MOT time neither.