Inheriting a car - cabsmanuk
I have recently inherited a car from my mothers estate of which I am joint executor with my sister and we are the only two beneficiaries. The car is currently SORN and has a current MOT certificate. There is no dispute as to who should have the car. Any ideas as to how do I go about registering it and taxing it in my name?

Have any backroomers done this?
Inheriting a car - GrahamF1
You add your details to the 'new keeper' part of the V5 and send it off to the DVLA, much like if you'd bought it. The fact that there is no signature from the current keeper is not usually a problem but you might want to call them to advise of the situation, or attach a post-it note explaing why there's no signature.

Then you buy an insurance policy.

Then you take the MOT certificate, the insurance certificate, and the little tear-off part of the V5 (which you filled in and tore off before sending the rest to Swansea) to your local post office, where a large sum of money can be exchanged for a tax disc.

You don't need to cancel SORN, it's automatically done when you buy the tax disc.
Inheriting a car - GrahamF1
As a note to my first post, I've just laid out what you'll need to do with the DVLA.

There may be other things you need to do in terms of the will and the transferring of 'legal ownership' (which is a different to being the 'registered keeper') to yourself. I've no knowledge of what these things might be.

Having your name on the V5 doesn't mean you legally own the car, that's all I know. No doubt a legal eagle will enlighten us.
Inheriting a car - Chas{P}
Hugo the BR moderator recently did this. I'm sure he will be along later.

HTH

Charles

(I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this)
Inheriting a car - Cardew
Technically you have to wait until probate is granted. However if there is no possible dispute just go and do it.

Thread is here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22...5
Inheriting a car - Hugo {P}
"(I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this)"

Don't mind at all:)

Cabsmanuk, firstly, my condolances for your loss.

Secondly, as Charles rightly pointed out I recently had to do the same when my mother passed away suddenly last year. IIRC the process is much the same as if you had just transferred it from a living previous owner.

In our case I "bought" the car off the estate for a price between that of a private sale and that the estate would have fetched from a franchise dealer. I agreed this with the other two beneficiaries on the basis that if I didn't keep it and sold it for more I would split the profit in equal shares among the beneficiaries.

As far as legal ownership is concerned, the car will no doubt be an item on the probate details, ie the details of the value of the estate.

The executor should sign the space on the V5 on behalf of the estate. Inclusion of a letter explaining the situations together with a sealed copy of the Grand of Probate or at least the Death Certificate would help. Also, ask for the safe return of the DC or GoP. These cost money and you may need to use the copies more than once. I as sole executor had to sign it and my wife was the new name on the V5.

If you and your sister are both executors, it may be a good idea to ask your sister to sign the form as the executor and thus effectively sign the car over to you. Whether she signs it or you do makes little difference the the DVLA. It's just that both parties being involved embraces a sense of cooperation between the two of you.

When you and your sister agree who is having what WRT the chattles etc, it would be a good idea to list them against each recipient with a value against each item. Include the car along with everything else.

Excel is a great tool for this type of work.

I should point out that this is what we did. It seemed to work for us. The DVLA bit will work for you. The rest, you may want to seek a solicitor's advice about if you haven't already done so. Also, you may want to wait for Probate to be granted, unless it has been already. What I did in forging ahead with the transfer before Probate was considered by some here to be ill advised in case probate was not granted for any reason. My late mother's solicitor must have been pretty sure of himself as he did not consider that I should wait for Probate.

Finally I should add a warning, incase it should cause you or any other berieved any distress. Despite your telling DVLA that the owner is deceased, they will still write to the deceased to tell them that the car has now been transferred away from their name. Crazy I know! I would have thought that such a letter should be addressed to the executor.

Hugo
Inheriting a car - Hugo {P}
Sorry, forgot to add....

Inurance - cancel your mother's insurance and any remaining breakdown cover she may have - you'll get refunds etc.

Take out insurance in your name and use this to tax the vehicle.

H
Inheriting a car - mare
When my father in law died, my wife and brother in law were both beneficiaries and executors. Brother in law had the car. Both Executors signed V5 to transfer ownership to BiL.

Yes he (and she) signed the car over to himself, funny old thing the law.

Then take out insurance and tax in the normal way.

You should get a refund from your mother's insurer.
Inheriting a car - Ex-Moderator
>>You should get a refund from your mother's insurer.

And take no carp or admin fees or any other nonsense from your broker, its a pro rata return.
Inheriting a car - Cliff Pope
Just a point if you inherit a SORNed vehicle and do not intend taxing it immediately. Whereas tax automatically follows the car ownership (as when you buy a secondhand car) SORN does not. SORN is specific to the car and the keeper and to the address where kept.
So someone acquiring a SORNed car by any means needs to renew the SORN. Whether a non-personal "estate" can SORN a car I don't know.