Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - Geoff J
Can anyone assist. I have a Megane Scenic 1.6RT with an LPG Conversion on it. Yesterday there was a bang from under the bonnet (which may have been from the LPG) the car lost power when going uphill. when listening to the engine there was a knocking noise. the breakdown service removed the plugs and found that no 1 plug had metal between the electrode this was removed and regapped bit the noise was still there

(The car was recovered to a Renault Dealers (Bad Move) and they advised it would be £43 for an inspection to investigate the fault. The Garage phoned to say that they needed further investigation time and that it would br £70 per hour and they wanted authorisation for 2 hours. I gave them this as I needed to know what was the cause. they called again to say that they had not been able to determine the fault and needed a further 4 hours at £70 per hour (estimate to rebuid without additional cost for repair of fault found £759) they said it may need a refurbished engine after this and suggested that I may consider that option for £2167.
This is not an option as the car is not worth that much.
Anyway watch the dealers when you are recovered to them because they treat you as a money pot.)

All I have from the dealers is that there is oil to the top end of the engine a compresseion test was done and 2,3 & 4 cylinders are fine however they say that no. 1 cylinder is about 40% down and it could be the little end or something.

Any pointers or assistance would be appreciated

thanks
Geoff J
Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - Altea Ego
So we have a bang, metal in the plug gap, 40% down on one pot. and now rattling.

It could be a broken ring, but the bang sounds ominous. It could well be that the engine has had it.
Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - Civic8
I wonder if it may be a burnt out valve.Bang may have been overheated valve causing secondary explosion on exhaust..Just a thought..As I would not expect one small end to go without the others..though has been known..It will need a stripdown to find the fault.May cost more than motor is worth?
--
Steve
Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - Aprilia
Don't know what LPG system you have - but be aware that a common problem with LPG is that because you have an explosive mixture in the inlet manifold, any ignition HT problem can cause an explosion in the inlet manifold. This is particularly a problem on vehicles with big inlet manifold capacity - like RRovers and Ford Explorers (where it can blow the inlet manifold apart). Anyway, I doubt that little end problem will result in that 40% loss of compression. Loss of compression is mostly likely due to burnt valves - which is a problem with LPG because it burns hotter than petrol.
Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - cheddar
This is a common engine fitted to Lagunas, Meganes and Clio's, perhaps try to find one at a car breakers.
Renault Megane Scenic 98 model - Geoff J
Have had it stripped down and it is the piston ring on no 1 cylinder that has failed. I have found a local mechanic (not £70 per hour) so looks like it is repairable although will be off the road for some time due to his schedule.
Thanks to everyone for their input. this is the first time I have used the site and have found it very informative.

thanks again and as Arnie says

I'll be back