Dad wants a new car - VR6
My dad is pondering buying a used small car. He currently has a L plate Rover 214sli, which I have said (to his utter dismay) is worth a few hundred quid.

He never drives on the motorway, never goes above 3000rpm, never drives quickly at all.

He will probably keep the car until it gives up the ghost.
his only requirements are - fitting the weekly shop into the boot, reliable, 5 doors.

Ive suggested Polo, Yaris, Jazz. Budget is about £6k. anything else he/I should be considering?

(He's poo-pooed anything french or italian BTW.)

Wrong forum - should have been discussion - Sorry.
Dad wants a new car - Dynamic Dave
Kick ----> Weeeeee

Dad wants a new car - PR {P}
How about a new Fiat Panda, lovely little car. There is a review of the 4x4 and more importantly (for you) 1.3JTD one on this site by HJ
Dad wants a new car - carl_a
Can't see you getting a Jazz for 6k, unless its got a lot of miles on the clock.
Hyundai Getz, big inside, reliable and great warranty. They are doing some great deals, 1.3 GSI now £6595 (without any dealer discount) with one years insurance, 3 years servicing, 3 years RAC, 5 year warranty.
Dad wants a new car - doctorchris
Agree about the Panda, but if he isn't bothered about speed the basic 1.1 can be had on the web for £4995(+ road tax) at present.
Can't get much cheaper new car motoring.
Dad wants a new car - machika
Is he looking to buy a new car?
No, not nesaccerily new.

Having read the replys & the fact that you get free servicing etc. on some of the new cars, it may just sway him.

Thanks for the replies - I think I have enough models for him to test drive now.
Dad wants a new car - Round The Bend
Sounds like a nearly new Corolla would do the job nicely.