Car hire and driving in Japan - Aprilia
I'm just in the process of booking flights and accommodation for a business trip to Japan later this year. Going to be visiting some Japanese auto component suppliers.

I will be staying in the greater Tokyo area and using public transport most of the time - however, I will have about four days free and wondered about hiring a car to see a bit of the country away from the cities. Has anyone hired a car in Japan or driven in Japan? Also, is anyone aware of any car factory tours? - I wouldn't mind going around the Nissan or Toyota plants and would rather make arrangements now instead of waiting until I get there.
Car hire and driving in Japan - Peter S
I spent a couple of years living in Yokohama, just down the bay from Tokyo. I had a car while I was there (Toyota Altezza aka as Lexus IS200 here) and had no real problems. Enjoy the lost pleasure of full service petrol stations again - tank filled, windows cleaned and oil/water checked, along with plenty of bowing. The attendants will even step out into the road and stop the traffic to let you back out sometimes!! You will need an international driving licence though - about £6 from the AA I think.

Would recommend a trip down to Hakone and Fuji - some stunning lakes/mountain scenery, and quite a pleasant drive. Approx 3 or 4 hours from Tokyo on an average day. Japanese motorways generally pleasant, though a little pricey. Avoid driving in Tokyo though, as parking is generally non-existant and/or expensive. English road signs the norm fr most roads, but not necessarily in cities.

I believe Toyota do factory tours, but they must be booked in advance...didn't do it my self.

If you have any questions, let me know

Peter
Car hire and driving in Japan - blue_haddock
I've no idea about in Japan but you can take a tour round the Burnaston factory
Car hire and driving in Japan - Aprilia
I don't live a million miles from Burnaston - so done that and got the T-shirt. I suspect the Japanese factory is bigger (like the size of small city?!).
Car hire and driving in Japan - blue_haddock
Silly as it may seem considering the fact i work for Toyota 3 miles from the factory i've never been inside!