Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Robin
I've never traded a car in since all my previous cars have either gone to the scrapper, the auction or been sold privately. I will be trading my faithful car in at a dealer on Friday for a newer model. What should I do with the tax disc. It has a fair few months left to run so is worth a bit. It was not mentioned when we were discussing prices etc, but they did ask when the tax and MOT ran out. Am I expected to leave it on the car or is it mine to get a refund on?
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - keo-the-dog
you will probably be expected to leave it on the car but i would remove it and see if it is mentioned if it's an old car and it's beeing shipped out to auction, they might not mention it if they do you can give it back albeit grudgingly...cheers...keo
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Conditional Identity
I've always traded in and kept the disc. The last couple of times I've made it clear that I was keeping it, but previously I had no problems.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - VTiredeyes
remember when you pull into garage, take out disk and pop in your pocket. they might/might not take a look around it, and if they ask how much tax is on it, tell them none. so places i have been to make a note of tax. so do remember it could be around £165 for you.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - kenl
If you are paying for tax on the new car then I would defo whip it off and cash it in.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Vansboy
Whenever I've valued a trade in, I always confirm the tax & MoT, as your dealer has done.

If you've told them it's taxed 'till whenever, then I'd expect the surender value to be part of the valuation.

It's when the customer brings the vehicle in, on swap over day, with a rung battery, no spare & tyres which have worn out, since we agreed the deal, that is the annoying bit!!

Play fair.....LEAVE IT ON THE SCREEN!!

VB
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - PR {P}
Is the dealer paying for the tax on your new car? Id suspect not. I would "tell" them you've taken it off, I wouldnt just take it and hope they dont say anything
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Stuartli
Refunds for remaining months on a tax disk is a useful side earner for dealerships and traders on PX vehicles.

You don't really think that the majority leave them on do you?

Another point - if you buy a new or used car on finance, buy the tax disk separately. Otherwise you will pay interest on it for the life of the finance deal...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - GrahamF1
Put it in your pocket as you leave the car to go indoors for the paperwork.

Unless you've signed paperwork saying that the trade-in price includes consideration of the amount of tax left, it's your property and not theirs. If they argued afterwards, their position would have no basis in law nor logic. And it would be a bit rich for a trader to argue on moral or fair-play grounds.

Traders don't spend their days doing punters favours, why do them one?
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Ex-Moderator
>>Put it in your pocket as you leave the car to go indoors for the paperwork.

Why be sneaky ? Leave it or don't; but why take this seemingly underhanded approach rather than being upfront about it?

What about if they did something petty like taking the car mats out of the car you are buying when you go for the paperwork ?

Do unto others as you would prefer they do unto you - or something like that.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Adam {P}
If they ask when it ran out, and you said say...August, then they'll be expecting a car with tax till August else why would they ask?

I'mm a little bitter on this as I bought a car, got it home and reaslised to my dismay that there was no tax on it!
--
Adam
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Pugugly {P}
Slip it in your pocket ! (Its yours)
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - patently
Treat others as you would expect them to treat you.

How has the salesman been so far?
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Wales Forester
If it's not been specifically mentioned in connection with the deal then assume they're not bothered about it and cash it in.

If they are bothered they should have said.

PP
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Clanger
but they did ask when
the tax and MOT ran out. Am I expected to leave
it on the car

Yes you are unless you've told them otherwise.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - dylan
When I bought my last new car, the salesman gave me a valuation for my part-ex over the phone, without asking how much tax was left.

When reviewing the paperwork I noticed that it said the trade-in price *included* any tax remaining on the car. But how could it, when the salesman didn't know how much it was?

I took the tax disk off before the trade-in.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - RichardP
Most dealers will probably cash it in anyway! It's not often you buy second hand cars from a dealer with a decent amount of tax on it...
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - blue_haddock
Yep when you PX the car in they will cash the tax in so the person who buys your old car has to fork out for new tax.

I say take the tax out of the window when you get to the dealer to do the swap, if he asks about it give it to him and if there is no mention of it then cash it in yourself.

Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Car
When I last traded in my car the dealer told me to cash the tax disc in.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - blue_haddock
If a customer asks me if he can keep the tax i say yes, if he doesn't ask then it stays in the car.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Colin M
I wouldn't be dishonest and change components of the car but invariably the dealer will cash it in (he can use his trade plates to move the car on the road).

In the same way I wouldn't fill the tank up before I took the car in or leave £30 in the glove compartment, I'd take the disc out and cash it in. You'll need to do this on the forecourt anyhow so that you are still legal getting to the dealer.

Trade-In 'Etiquette' - commerdriver
Probably highly illegal now but when I was at uni (back in the dark ages) a friend of mine whose family were in the motor trade used to be given the use of older cars which had been traded in with some tax remaining until the tax ran out. Don't know if garages still do this.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - L'escargot
The tax disc is yours, and is not a part of the car. It is your "certificate" proving that you have paid the required fee to license the vehicle to be driven in public places. If the dealer wants to license the vehicle to be driven in public places, then it is up to him to pay the required fee once he has become the registered keeper.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Colin M
[i]If the dealer wants to license the vehicle to be driven in public places, then it is up to him to pay the required fee once he has become the registered keeper.[/i]

He doesn't need to, this is exactly what trade plates (actually called trade licences) are for.

[i]If the dealer wants to license the vehicle to be driven
in public places, then it is up to him to pay
the required fee once he has become the registered keeper.[/i]
He doesn't need to, this is exactly what trade plates (actually
called trade licences) are for.

You are absolutely correct, of course. I didn't mention this option because the thread appeared to be centred specifically on tax discs.
--
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - The Lawman
A lot of double standards in this thread. The trader has asked how much tax is left, and it seems pretty clear to me that he/she must have taken the answer into account when valuing the car. Just because it is not in writing, it doesn't mean it's not part of the deal.

If it was the other way round, and you were buying the car, (after having asked how much tax it had left) you would be v angry if the tax disc was taken off and cashed in just before you picked up the car.

How can we criticise traders for "ripping people off" if we are quite happy to use sharp tactics ourselves?

Trade-In 'Etiquette' - VTiredeyes
you have to be one step ahead of the salesperson
most of them, and i mean most, as there must be some salespeople who dont get commision? (i dont know?)
most would be happy to sell their grandmother.

the only way to go is to say
i have ** months tax left on the car.
i will be taking this off and surrendering it myself.
obviously if there is less than 1 month left, i wouldnt bother as you will get nothing back for it from dvla.

talk about it with the salesperson. the more talking you do with a slaesperson, the better you get to know him/her and can work out if they are a good person, or a total ******

i do beleive in building a relationship with a salesperson, abliet for an hour or so, so as to gauge what they are like.

but at the end of the day, most do it to put food on the table/pay bills/mortgage/wife shoes/kids clothes, just like the rest of us. but... obviously they need to sell the car.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - GrahamF1
What's sharp about it?

The tax disc is your property and doesn't constitute part of the car. Same as you wouldn't leave your CDs in the glovebox for them.
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Robin
Well, some interesting points of view and opinions here. I have checked on the order form for my new car and it states under the trade in section that the car is taxed until end of March. (I thought it was much longer but the sharp eyed sales lady has it correct) So, I guess we are only talking about £15 or so and since it is mentioned on the order form I assume it is part of the deal so it stays on. Now, how do I make sure I deliver it them with only a thimble full of petrol left.....
Now, how do I
make sure I deliver it them with only a thimble full
of petrol left.....

Drain the tank on their forecourt, and then put a thimble full back!
--
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - commerdriver
is there a metric equivalent of thimble full?
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - rory
Is is not the case that cars sold by dealers MUST be taxed ? If so, and you are trading-in, depending on what's left on your disc you may be no worse off. If you are worse off, why not try a little bit of quid-pro-quo and suggest that the difference could be met by the dealer in the form of, say, mats or a valeting or some-such ?
is there a metric equivalent of thimble full?

It's still a thimble full, but the thimble in question needs to have been made to metric dimensions, not imperial dimensions!
--
The last time I bought a used car, the dealer kept the tax disc and taxed the "new" car for 12 months. They charged me the difference between 12 months tax and the amount refundable on "my" disc. No hanky panky whatsoever.
--
Trade-In 'Etiquette' - Blue {P}
Eh, taxed until March? Is that this year or is it tax for a year and a week for an 05 registration?

If it is a new car that you have bought then it will include at least a full year's tax I should imagine.

I agree with everyone who said to leave it on, I had one customer who brought their car in for part-ex, we had paid for their 6 month tax disc on the used car that they had bought, and they had the nerve to take the tax off the swapper and claim it was expired! It spoiled what was otherwise a very good relationship with a customer who I originally thought was completely honest, but then sat and told me a barefaced lie.
Blue