G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - Headstar
Hi there

Last Saturday we had to put the car into the garage to have the rotar arm, leads etc changed out as it was having problems starting. The car now starts great, however, when slowing down from speed (ie on the motorway) and coming off into slower roads, junctions etc, it splutters and struggles and eventually dies.

It goes fine again on restart for about 10 mins and then does the same thing again.

We took it back to the garage who had a prod and a poke and said they couldn't see anything wrong with it.

tried it again yesterday on the way to work and it died as we suddenly had to slow down and the spluttering and struggling started. However, on the way home from work last night - it ran perfectly

but again this morning - back to cutting out.

now the garage kept going on about the carburettor and they're going to take a look at it on Saturday, but the bottom line is - it went in with one problem that was sorted - great! but now we have this problem, which to be honest could be damn dangerous especially on the motorway!

any ideas?

Thanks
G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - Stuartli
Perhaps if the garage mechanics decided to try and find the fault rather than see what's wrong with it, they might be more successful?

Normally the response would be dirt in the fuel supply - usually revving up and dropping the clutch in sharply cures it.

However, in your case, it appears to be related to the work done on the car.

Incidentally, have the battery leads been connected properly?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>Incidentally, have the battery leads been connected properly?>>

I mean, of course, that they have been tightened up properly.
Thanks for the reply :)

I assume the battery leads are fine - a new battery was fitted about 3 weeks ago by the AA

The people at the garage just don't seem too fussed about getting in about and sorting it properly. It's going in again on Saturday, but we were looking for some ideas to throw at them!

and they'd better not charge us any more either....
Battery leads have to be nipped up surprisingly often - it might be worth a check as it may have been fitted in a rush. All the cars I've owned have needed such attention every three or four months.

Incidentally, I once had a brand new (Press use) Citroen Xantia refuse to start after running perfectly earlier in the day. The RAC came out double quick and it proved to be a battery lead that needed tightening...:-)
I'll add that to a list of possibles!

would we not have noticed this before now though? I mean we drove back to Cheshire from Glasgow on the day the vattery was changed out
G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - Peter D
This car has a manifold heater hedgehog at seen gown the carb and if they have caught the wire to it it may have popped off the spade connector and at higher fixed speeds you are getting an icing condition to when you take your foot off, Problem then after a couple of mins it warms up its ok again. Simple to test the connection and a meter will tell you if the heater element is OK 3 to 4 ohms I think from memory. Regards Peter
so this is something that they should rectify with no further charge?
As the problems have arisen, as I said earlier, since the work was done on your car and especially the area it involves, then the garage has to be responsible for putting them right.

don't want them trying to fob us off with "problems that were there already" type of thing
G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I suspect your problem is carb icing and since it has occurred immediately after having some work done on the car check to see that the technician has not inadvertantly dislodged the wire to the manifold heater as mentioned earlier and the vacuum lines to the thermac valve in the air filter are secure and the warm air duct from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner is in place and the controlling flap is operating. Go softly softly, we all make mistakes! I was accused a few years ago of breaking the passenger seatbelt buckle as a result of tuning the engine!!
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
thanks - will mention this on saturday as well :)
It's been very mild around our way for months now...:-)
G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - Dynamic Dave
It's been very mild around our way for months now...:-)

Doesn't matter. Carb icing can still occur when the weather isn't actually freezing.
Morning!

We got the AA to have a look at it last night and he had a good look at everything and adjusted the idle/tickover thingy (whatever it's called - I dunno, I'm a girl!) and fingers crossed it ran fine last night and this morning.

Hopefully if there was anything loose, he's fixed it - but it's still going in on Saturday for a look coz the carb needs cleaning anyway

Thanks for all the replies guys, will keep you posted
G Reg VW Golf losing power slowing down - 3T
Had similar problem on mk 2 scirocco, have a look inside fuel filler pipe,mine had a large hole in it where petrol pump had hit it when putting in nozzle over the years! My car was coughing and stalling intermitently where dirt in the tank was being sucked up against the filter in there. after stopping, the vacuum would cease and the dirt would drop out all ready to start all over again! Sorted it by replacing the tank and filler pipe in the end,sounds worse than it was, bits were cheap enough at the breakers.