Halfords oil filter internals - Rover Boy
Hi,

I fitted a Halfords oil filter to my wife's Rover 420 last week. I noticed when looking inside the filter before fitting (doesn't everyone?) that the centre steel tube that supports the filter element was just plain steel, not perforated as in all other filters I've seen. So how does the oil flow through the filter? There did appear to be a gap at the far end of the tube where the oil could flow into the centre, but it was difficult to see properly. The engine runs OK and the oil light goes out, but the oil could be flowing through the bypass valve for all I know.

Anyone else noticed this, or have any comments?

Rgds.
Halfords oil filter internals - mountainkat
Personally for the extra few pence it costs for the OEM part I'd have gone with that - not saying all non-dealer parts are poor but you end up asking yourself questions like the one you've just posted.

Dealer parts maybe a little more expensive but helps you sleep more soundly at night !!
Halfords oil filter internals - mfarrow
Personally for the extra few pence it costs for the OEM
part I'd have gone with that.

Agreed, there's virtually no difference

I've gone to Fords for filter and washer since when I asked the halfords parts desk for the sump plug washer (nylon) for a Ford OHV engine. They told me to buy the pack on the shelf that comes with plug, unless I knew the exact size of the washer, as it wasn't on their system. I think the closest the kid on the computer got was "sump gasket"! Never again...
Halfords oil filter internals - Dynamic Dave
or have any comments?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26116
Halfords oil filter internals - Insect
I don't know what the internals are like on Halfords filters, but I've used their filters and oil in my Citroen ZX TD since 55,000 miles. It's now done 204,000 miles, has all the original engine parts and still uses no oil between changes (at 6,000 miles), so I think the filters are OK.
I wonder just how important filters are, these days. What do they fetch out of the oil?
Halfords oil filter internals - pmh
Discussed at length some time ago look at

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11716&...e

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11716&...f

for the full thread.

--
pmh (was peter)

I wonder just how important filters are, these days. What do
they fetch out of the oil?

It wouldn't take long for a shard of metal, if unfiltered, to be pushed through the bearings taking other tiny shard of metal into the sump and then back around the pump again; thus causing a cascading affect which would destroy the engine. Also engine bearings don't take too kindly to soot particles, which would quickly block up oil passages.
Halfords oil filter internals - Rover Boy
Hi,

Thanks for the comments everyone, I read the previous threads before posting, they're informative but don't refer to my specific question. I guess I'll just trust Halfords and carry on until the next service. I didn't get a Rover filter, as I usually do, due to the timing and distance involved.

The problem I find with filter reviews is that the same make of filter seems to vary between different models and even the time the review was made. I've read an American review - a little old now - that slated Fram, showing the element tied together with a loop of string! Yet when I cut open a Fram K-series filter it was identical to the Rover version, with the exception that it had two more pleats in the element. All the components had the same identification letters stamped on them. I shall cut open the Halfords filter when it's changed, and it probably won't have the cardboard ends or the funny spring on the non-return valve shown in the review listed above.

Filter design is fairly basic, even I could design the mechanics of it. I would, though, try to put the bypass valve at the other (near) end of the filter, so that when its opened the oil doesn't flow over the dirty side of the filter and into the engine. But that probably costs a few pence. All the filters I've cut open were very clean inside, no sign of any metal or other deposits in the casing or visible on the element, and no significant sign of soot on the element either, just a slight darkening of the element.

I believe that standard filters take out particles down to 15 to 20 microns, about the size of those dust particles that float in the rays of the sun. That doesn't mean they do it in one pass though, so these particles may circulate quite a few times. I fitted a Premium filter to my K-series (a Rover product) and that was indentical inside to the standard. Perhaps the element was a little finer, possibly down to 10 microns. I never noticed any difference.

Rgds.
Halfords oil filter internals - Mudguts
Some time ago when I was first researching Mobil 1, I saw on their website that you could get a Mobil 1 oil filter. Can I get one in this country...Can I heck! If anyone knows where I can please let me know.
Halfords oil filter internals - likerocks
I've noticed that the overall dimesions of Halfords filters seem to be marginally smaller than the OE ones. i.e. shorter oil filters, shallower air and fuel filters. I guess this is where they save their money.

Nobody has mentioned "branded" alternatives to OE or Halfords. Have been very happy with Champion stuff - filters, spark plugs, wiper blades etc. In the middle price-wise...
Halfords oil filter internals - AdyBeee
Insect,
as I understand, a brand new engine has small 'inline' oil filters fitted, know as 'chip traps'. These remove particles as small as 20 µm in diameter, such as casting sand, machining swarf and other contaminates from the engine build process. I've know of Mars bar wrappers to be found in newly tested engines.
I hear BMW have approx 20 of these 'chip traps' placed around their new engines, all of which are removed at the 500 mile service.
However, after that, as you say, once the pressure rail, oil ways and sump have been purged of contaminates I'm not sure what an oil filter really does. Except prevent a nightmare in the event of a stray piece of sand getting into your turbo bearings or between your piston rings.
AdyBee...
However, after that, as
you say, once the pressure rail, oil ways and sump have
been purged of contaminates I'm not sure what an oil filter
really does. Except prevent a nightmare in the event of a
stray piece of sand getting into your turbo bearings or between
your piston rings.

Well, I'm certainly got going to kid myself by saying that when I service my car I do it cleanly. Especially if you place tools on the floor (or toolbox for that matter!), bits of grit or dirt can easily be picked up and accidently find their way in when adjusting tappets or filling oil.