Are all oil filters the same? - Dave N
I used to think they were, but after dismantling 4 brands (more to come)I was very surprised at the results. If you want to see the results, together with pictures, then follow this link: www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm (maybe a moderator can make this a \'clickable\' link)
Are all oil filters the same? - Aprilia
Its at:

www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm

I always buy genuine. Savings in buying 'pattern' are generally small and I learnt years ago (when in the trade) that they are almost never as good.
Are all oil filters the same? - kithmo
Mmm...very enlightening, It would be interesting to see what's inside some of the other branded ones like Lucas, Fram, Coopers and Unipart etc. or even manufacturers own, like Ford, Vauxhall etc.
Sorry, should be www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm (capital F in filters)
Are all oil filters the same? - Dynamic Dave
DaveN,

To make links clickable, simply add http:// to the start of the typed url.

ps, I\'ve edited yours now.
Are all oil filters the same? - DL
Very interesting Dave. I'll think twice before ordering in a Blueprint filter now....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Are all oil filters the same? - P 2501
Good to see that the purflux filter is the best- i've been using them on my motor for years now.

I'd be interested in other makes too, especially mahle whose products i use quite regularly.

Very informative and well presented little site Dave!
Are all oil filters the same? - RichardW
Interesting that the Honda genuine one is made by Perflux - which is always recommended for Pug / Cit diesel engines. £11.29 is daylight robbery though - you can get Perflux filters (sometimes in Cit/Pug boxes!) for about £3.50 from German Swedish and French. It's quite possible one of those will fit the Honda as well!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Are all oil filters the same? - Mikey Jay
DL, I have always found blueprint products very good. They are supposed to be made to original equipment standards. I always used blueprint filters on my old Honda which did 170k and would have done much more had the body not rusted. Mikey.
Are all oil filters the same? - DL
Mike - I would agree too - I have used Blueprint filters and cambelts for many years on Japanese cars - with no ill effects - and will continue to do so.

Not wanting to discredit Daves excellent research, but I think this filter comparison in this case is probably insignificant - the difference in filtration terms in real life is probably negligable.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Are all oil filters the same? - MarkSmith
Very interesting, Dave! I've often wondered whether it was worth paying the extra for OE filters. It's a shame that, whereas oil has an API rating so we are able to make an informed decision and comply with the manufacturer's recommendations, the filters (which must be just as important) have no such rating.

My local factor sells mostly Fram filters, and the garage I take the car to use Coopers. I'd certainly be interested to read how they fare.

By the way, in my limited experience, I've always found the pattern filters to be the same size as the OE ones - but that it's not at all uncommon to be sold the wrong one, especially if your car is a slightly weird variant. (For example for my Rover 220 turbo, many places list the same filter as for the n/asp car. One or other is wrong.)

Good work!

-Mark
Are all oil filters the same? - Galaxy
Dave N,

A very useful and practical piece of research. Well done!

I myself have always bought the genuine item (Ford)
Are all oil filters the same? - Number_Cruncher
Sometimes, the oil filter for the equivalent diesel engine is similar to the petrol engine spec, but has a much larger canister and filter area.

IIRC, an X93 Vauxhall filter for petrol engines is interchangeable with an X28 filter for the diesel engines.

number_cruncher
Are all oil filters the same? - henry k
Sometimes, the oil filter for the equivalent diesel engine is similar
to the petrol engine spec, but has a much larger canister and filter area.

>>
Can I assume that, provided space is available, I could fit a larger filter from a diesel to my petrol version or are there other factors like different valves to consider?
My instinct is to go for OE and size as the extra cost is peanuts and the main dealer is the closest source of all.
I agree very strongly with Aprilia's comment above that the genuine filter is the one to use.

I should have qualified my statement about using a diesel oil filter on a petrol engine is to be considered as an experiment, rather than a recommendation. i.e., It might hinder any future warranty claim you make.

One of the things the aftermarket sometimes gets wrong, is the reverse of this. For example, most aftermarket filter firms do not make an equivalent of the larger X28 filter, and incorrectly listed an X93 equivalent for some Vauxhall diesels. I note the GIF site listed below also does this.

This is another reason for fitting genuine parts.

number_cruncher
Are all oil filters the same? - John24
Details of Purflux filters can be found at www.gif-filter.com . The site has a catalogue showing which filter fits which car.
Are all oil filters the same? - frostbite
Add my thanks to the others - most educational and useful.
Are all oil filters the same? - Schnitzel
Thanks for the GIF link, I have found loads of cars that have the same diesel fuel filter as mine, which will make sourcing one much simpler.
Are all oil filters the same? - blank
Dave:

What a great bit of research! Really interesting and has got me wondering what to buy next oil change - seems the decision between Halfords own and Champion last time was a no-win! Look forward to any more additions, please post as you get round to adding them.

Anyone know stockists for GIF filters in this country? I have read the post about GSF and I'll try that for my Mondeo if there are no other ideas.

Thanks
Andy
Well I've managed to source 2 more filters, a Fram and a Nipparts, so I'm going outside to cut them open. Still looking for a Coopers and a Crossland.

I feel a right berk going into all the motor factors asking for an oil filter for a Honda, but not a Fram, Champion, Blueprint or Nipparts please. The usual response I get is "they're all the same inside mate"
Dave, I live near Crosland filters, will pop in and see what they can do.
What exactly shall I ask for?
The site's been updated now, but it doesn't make terribly good reading for the latest filters.

I take on board the comments about Blueprint, and how they claim to match OE standards, but frankly, at least in this case,they don't appear to. One assumes Honda specify the filter with a certain quality and quantity of filter material, as well as good quality valve materials and arrangements. Manufacturers don't tend to over specify as it costs money and profits. Maybe the some filter material is twice as good as the purflux stuff, so they only need to use half the quantity? Maybe a metal on metal seal that you can see daylight through really is as good as a nitrile seal? Maybe in the real world it makes no difference anyway.

For Crossland filter, the vehicle is a Honda Accord (or Shuttle)1995-99 2.2 or 2.3 petrol (same engine really, just different head).

Dave

I have used Blueprint stuff in the past, but I've generally not found it to be radically cheaper than branded parts from the dealer. In your case the Blueprint filter was very cheap - but often they are only about 25% less than genuine part retail on items like pads, balljoints etc. Not enough for me to worry about - so I always go genuine rather than Blueprint.
To be honest, with a Jap car you are only likely to need fluids, filters, the odd set of pads and discs and spark plugs. It pays to buy the best. I've used Mintex discs and pads on Jap cars and always found them very good.
Are all oil filters the same? - pmh
there was a lengty thread on this some time ago and I post the reply received from Halfords

Oil filters - pmh Tue 8 Apr 03 09:44

This is basically the reply I received from a product manager at Halfords, who appears to be prepared to state facts and not make it into a an overt sales promotional opportunity. I have his agreement to publish his text. It is good to see someone prepared to go on record.

Based on this I will be prepared to use their own Brand products rather than the premium priced Champion Branded product!

- Halfords oil and air filters are made by Sogefi Filtration Europe's largest filter manufacturer

- Sogefi have factories all over Europe and own the top 3 brands sales wise in the UK - Fram,Coopers and Crosland

- They are OE to most vehicle manufacturers in Europe.
- a Halfords filter in most cases will be identical to the OE. eg A Ford oil filter and a Halfords oil filter are identical apart from the colour

- No filter manufacturer makes every single filter they sell. Much intertrading is done as it is just not economical to tool up for everything.

- In common with all filter manufacturers there will be the odd difference in size etc but to no noticable detriment to the
filters performance. This is called rationalisation eg one manufacture may have say 4 part numbers for a Golf and another covers it with 2 . For a Fiesta it will be the other way round depending on who was OE when the vehicle was in production.

- as Halfords have chosen Europes largest filter manufacturer as a supplier we should be an exact match more times than we are not - No-one will be 100%

- Champion are are relatively small UK player with just one Italian factory. The success of the spark plugs making Champion a well known brand to the general public is the only reason we stock the filters. They are not widely stocked in motor factors supplying the garage trade.

A search will find the whole thread......

pmh (was peter)
Hi pmh, thats kind of interesting. As Sogefi make the Fram filter I looked at, it's logical to assume they also make the Halfords filter I've also looked at. If that's the case, I wonder why they are so different. I don't mean a few dimensions, but a completely different layout. Different element (cardboard ends)completely different anti-drain valve arangement, and the Fram has the bypass valve built into the filter plate whereas the Halfords is in a seperate plate to the filter element. It does look like the same bypass valve and spring though.

The plot thickens, so maybe I need to get a Ford and a Halfords filter and compare those.

I'm not sure about the premium price, there was only 70p difference.

I've not seen a Mobil 1 filter, are they generally available?
Are all oil filters the same? - Civic8
You may find this interesting

minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#champ
--
Steve
Are all oil filters the same? - Ben {P}
Have you considered cutting open a Mobil 1 filter- i would be interested to see if it was much different?
Are all oil filters the same? - frostbite
Has anyone done a similar investigation on all the different makes of Fanbelts?

Possibly not practical.
Are all oil filters the same? - Stuartli
Most OE oil filters will be made to car companies' specifications by the same manufacturers who produce the filters you buy at your local Halfords, motor factors etc.

If you find out which manufacturer produces the OE oil filter for your car (it may well be sourced from more than one manufacturer) then buy its retail equivalent - the saving can be put towards the oil to go with it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Are all oil filters the same? - bert-j
Again, thanks for some excellent information. Just to complicate things I'm sure that you know that there are an increasing number of car manufacturers (e.g. MB and VW)that are using only a cartridge that fits into a housing. There are no metal housings, seals or non-return valves; just the filter itself. At least with these you don't have to worry about the seals etc. They are quite difficult to get from motor factors and often look very different from the OE. They are probably far cheaper for the car manufacturer but no cheaper than metal canister types for the buyer! It's ironic that the wheel has come full circle as I can remember replacing just the cartridge on Fords in the 1960's
Are all oil filters the same? - Roger Jones
Dave N

Many thanks for very interesting info. Not to steal your thunder, but there's also a US perspective at

tinyurl.com/3o4jx
Are all oil filters the same? - none
Bj, Not only VW and MB. In the light commercial range many now have replaceable oil filter elements. Some also have replaceable fuel filter elements as well. What used to be a fairly clean and easy spin on / off job has now turned into a messy fluid saturated unpleasant job. The filter housings and related plasticware seems to be more expensive and complicated than a threaded stub and sealing surface, so what's the advantage in this new 'old' system ?
One possibility is that one might be able to squeeze more oil out of a replaceable element for recycling, thus reducing the amount of oil that ends up on landfill.

number_cruncher
Are all oil filters the same? - Civic8
>>thus reducing the amount of oil that ends up on landfill.

seem to be going back to old days. replacement filter was commonplace ie cartridge type. wonder why it changed. I do wonder at amount of waste filters scrapped.old type was best and caused little fuss. commen filter housing single bolt application dont remember any probs with it..
--
Steve
Frostbite, I was just wondering that myself. Are Goodyear drive belts ok?
Are all oil filters the same? - Roberson
That?s a really interesting piece of research there Dave N, keep it up!

I've become a bit obsessive about parts quality since I hade a cheapo filter fitted to my Polo some time ago. Although it was the right size, there was little else to recommend. It leaked badly, and did not have a return valve (or if it did, it didn't work) If the obvious looking parts were of such atrocious quality, god knows how bad the filter material was.

Since had that changed to a Hengst filter which although seems of substantially better quality, still leaks. Also, it was a bit smaller than the OEM/Mann filters that I had fitted prior to that.

Out of the 3 different brands I have had so far, the OEM/Mann filter have been by far the best. (Cant wait to have them fitted at next service which is a matter of days a way)

Do you have any plans to test these 2 brands out, Mann and Hengst?

In addition, here is a study done in the US on Oil filter performance in terms of flow rate. The page layout is naff as it is in a forum style setting, but scrolling through the pages you will see the results of the tests:

theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ge...=
Are all oil filters the same? - Ben79
www.filtrauto.com/equali.html is a presentation about oil filter quality. After reading that, I'll only use genuine or OEM filters in my Citroen.
From what I've read Sogefi, Fram, Crossland, Purflux, and Technocar are all one and the same company. The names are just brand names and they also supply 'own brand' filters to other companies (e.g. Champion, Bosch) and to the car manufacturers.
Are all oil filters the same? - Claude
Very interesting thread started by Dave N and also a very uselful link to the Purflux site. I thought the comparison table which cross-referrenced every other manufacturers filters with their own against every model of car was very useful. Allowed me to check that my various Mann and Champion filters were the correct ones for my different vehicles. The only filters they dont list are Halfords.

Are all oil filters the same? - sheddy
My worst experience was for a Halfords filter which would just not pass any oil (oil change procedure for turbos - crank engine to raise oil pressure, then reconnect fuel valve to allow engine to start)
After that fiasco I went back to using Unipart filters
Are all oil filters the same? - Mapmaker
Steve.o's comment about replacement cartridge filters brings me back to my favourite topic of conversation (no really) which is why does nobody make cars where the oil is as easy to change as it was on the MB W123... No need to get muddy in the gutter, no need to get oily, a doddle to pop in a new cartridge.
Years ago all oil filters were paper cartridge type. Then the 'spin on' filter was introduced - supposedly cleaner and quicker/easier to swap. The snag is that you are throwing away a lot of metal and also the spin-on type can retain quite a bit of oil. Now, probably for environmental reasons, we are going back to paper elements - a good thing IMHO.
Some, like BMW never stopped using the superior paper elements.
Is there a reason for the filter to be mounted so low in the engine bay? Did it start off as an historical location and then cost came into play so it stayed there?
A few years ago in the USA I saw adaptors that with a couple of pipes allowed the filter or even twin filters to be mounted in an accessible location high in the engine bay thus allowing frequent, easy changes especially useful in dusty parts of the land. I know there is less space in the engine bay now but it should be possible to locate filters up top.
I accept the need to get to the sump plug unless the oil is sucked out but to access my Mondeo II filter it appears to be a real pain. It is suggested take off wheel and a belt guard.
Progress?
Are all oil filters the same? - Roger Jones
I've just checked to find that the MB branded filter for my W124 E320 Coupé to be identical to the Hengst filter, complete with "Hengst" stamped on it. The former costs £7.71 from the MB dealer; the latter costs £5.75 from Euro Car Parts. The difference doesn't matter much per filter, but is non-trivial on a long-term basis, so it's worth checking, especially if you (like me, broadly speaking) are concerned to fit the best possible parts.
Are all oil filters the same? - mfarrow
If the oil filter wasn't located toward the bottom of the engine I would find either oil running down my arm when I changed it or finding I'd put the drip-tray in just the wrong place and having oil spill over the driveway. Sudden gusts of wind don't help either!

I'm intrigued by the USA adaptor you mention. Surely this would involve maintaining the oil level above a certain point (i.e. near MAX on the diptick), because of the oil capacity taken up by the pipework. A reason why they didn't catch on?
Remote oil filters are available in this country, not just the USA. I saw one recently, it was on a Jap import, either a Skyline or an FTO - can't remember which.
Are all oil filters the same? - blank
access my Mondeo II
filter it appears to be a real pain. It is suggested
take off wheel and a belt guard.
Progress?

My Mondeo is a 1999, and I guess yours is a proper II, not a facelift like mine. The recommended procedure for mine sounds similar, bit with a pair of long-handled filter removal pliers, it can be removed from underneath

hth
Andy
Well, I went to Croslands in my lunch hour, and apparently, they don't make them for cars anymore, just agriculural machinery, generators, industrial machinery etc...
Well, I must say, I haven't seen there filters for about 10 years.
My Mondeo is a 1999, and I guess yours is a proper II, not a facelift like mine.

>>The recommended procedure for mine sounds similar, bit with a pair of long-handled filter removal pliers, it can be removed from underneath
>>
Thanks for info. No mine is a facelift. I have a spider filter tool.
Must find the time to do the job.
Are all oil filters the same? - quizman
I think that paper filters are a big step back in diy.
I know from the old days, getting covered in oil, rinsing the outer cover in paraffin, what a palaver. It is so much easier with the spin on type.
I reacon that the manufactures are doing it to put people off doing their own oil changes.
As for oil getting in the ground, where did it come from in the first place?
It is so much easier with the spin on type.

>>
I would agree if the filter bowl is at the bottom when the filter is in place.
With all the Ford filters I have changed it is not exactly a clean task removing the filter with oil spilling all over the place even when plastic sheet and rags are strategically deployed.
I think it depends Quizman, my last car, a Mazda 626 was a disaster, and that included the oil filter, which to get to you had to lie underneath and squeeze you arms between a driveshaft and crossmember, and you could hardly get a grip on it, when you did get it off, a sleeve full of old oil was guaranteed. With my current car, Omega (with BMW engine) there is never a drop spilled, the plastic top unscrews, the old filter is taken out and put in a bag, and the new one put in, and the lid screwed back on, and it is all done stood up.
Are all oil filters the same? - quizman
Thanks for that Schnitzel, I am feeling a bit more confident about changing the oil and filter on my Passat which has got the old new new type of filter, of course using a VW filter and Castrol SLX Longlife 2 oil ( at great expence )
On my John Deere tractor the spin off filter stands upright, and has got a dome on top of the filter, so when unscrewing it the oil stays in the filter, not on my hands. I wish that cars were like this.
I think that this is a very good thread, but are all filters the same?
Are all oil filters the same? - kithmo
>> It is so much easier with the spin on type.
>>
I would agree if the filter bowl is at the bottom
when the filter is in place.
With all the Ford filters I have changed it is not
exactly a clean task removing the filter with oil spilling all
over the place even when plastic sheet and rags are strategically
deployed.

Well I've just changed the oil and filter on my Mk3 V6 Mondeo and didn't spill a drop, although a small amount did drip, from the filter, onto the front exhaust manifold/cat and needed wiping off. With the old Mk1 1.8 mondeo, I had to take the wheel and pulley guard off (which took all of 3 minutes) and the filter was horizontal, which meant quite a bit of oil spilled out of the filter onto the drive shaft boot. This was more difficult to wipe off and ended up being sprayed up the back of the engine and the bulkhead.
Are all oil filters the same? - John24
Does anyone know what make of filter National Tyres use for their £20 oil change. If the filter is one of the questionable makes, it might not be such a bargain.
John,National tyres I have heard, use good quality oil filters. Mentioned in a previous thread somewhere.Mike
Are all oil filters the same? - Galaxy
Do oil filters deteriorate when in storage with age?

Does anyone happen to know what a typical storage life of an oil filter would be, please?

Many Thanks
Are all oil filters the same? - trancer
Can't answer the question regarding storage life, but if it is showing signs of rust and the rubber gasket has dried up and become brittle I would bin it.

On another note, I usually buy my BMW oil filters (made by Hengst I think) at GSF thinking that pattern would be cheaper than original, but just out of curiosity I asked the main agent parts dept the cost of a BMW branded filter (While I was in buying a new headlamp)and it was 10p cheaper than GSF. Exhaust hanger rubbers and mounting nuts/bolts were cheaper too. Oh, and BMW branded jubilee clips are cheaper than Halfords who would have guessed that one?.
Are all oil filters the same? - Steve_N
"The Champion is reasonably priced, has a good filter area (2nd highest), good overall construction, but a poor anti-drain valve let it down. In fact, it wasn't just poor, it simply didn't work."

I'm slightly concerned that you may be doing the Champion filter a dis-service: according to the filter database at gif-filter.com the Champion F208 is pattern GL815, which doesn't have an anti-drain/non-return valve..