Easy - question for beginners - Colin Standing
This is to encourage all those who, like me, rarely understand the questions let alone the answers.

So, does anyone who has never answered a motoring (as distinct from political) question know the answer to my little problem please? BUT, before you try, bear in mind that all those in a higher class will be watching and be on you like a ton of bricks if you get it wrong. So, guesses, yes, but only educated ones. (If you happen to have MV craft certificate 1st year, ONC or NVQ, yoiu should own up)

If the footbrake is applied immediately before the handbrake, then next time out the front n.s. brake briefly locks before freeing itself. This may be OK but in case it's not, apart from a blast of WD 40, what's the answer ?
(three year old Megane).

Any rookie who, in the opinion of one of our many experts, answers correctly, will be promoted - at least in my reading of his or her future posts - to the rank of 'one to be taken notice of',

Thanks and best wishes to all;

Colin S
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Rob
Dear Sir/Madam

I write to apply for the Renault franchise cryptically advertised on this forum.

The answer to your question - recharge the air conditioning, tighten the auxillary drive belt and top up the windscreen washer fluid bottle.

I look forward to hoearing from you soon.

Rob
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Colin Standing
Rob - just logged in and read yours only to date. Reason being my eyes have watered through laughing at it,

When I read other 'question' threads I often feel quite sorry for the questioner if all she/he gets is facetious replies, but yours made me say 'sod the front brake, life's too good'

Colin S

p.s. All the procedures you recommended were completed by the postman this morning, but don't seem to have helped - but thanks for trying.
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Sue
Colin Standing wrote:
> If the footbrake is applied immediately before the handbrake,
> then next time out the front n.s. brake briefly locks before
> freeing itself.

Please sir I don't understand this question either! Which makes no odds because I wouldn't be able to answer it.

But I'm trying to work out if I ever apply the handbrake without having applied the footbrake immediately beforehand ... to stop the car, you know?
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Mark (Brazil)
I think.......

When you apply the footbrake to stop, the car tends to sink on its suspension. It won't lift up until you release the footbrake. Putting the handbrake on, if it works on those same wheels, will prevent it releasing properly because of sideways pressure on the pad and therefore the caliper.

The sideways pressure not being relieved without a little forward or backward movement entails a thump as it lets go when you move off.

Given that I have no idea at all, I wouldn't pay me the slightest attention.
Ah yes Sue, but to help potential candidates, I did a little experiment, drifting slowly up the path then applying ther handbrake. The brake did not lock.

However, in view of your admission, you may stay in the novices' class, from which Rob has been expelled, due to knowing far too many big motor car words ie big words not big motor cars.
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Matt
Could be the giggle pin or the fuffle valve
Hey thanks Matt. Found the fuffle, but it says on the side 'please ensure you replace with a Mark 111 variation' Can you help? Not yet located the other thing you mention, but I've got all day Wednesday.

Cheers
Re: Easy - question for beginners - crazed idiot
has it got a front wheel handbrake (some saabs etc) or a more normal rear wheel handbrake ?
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Clive
Change the pads on your Garford, replace the brake fluid with Uncle Tom's Elixir and empty the ash tray.
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Andy P
What's a handbrake?

Andy
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Anthony Farrar
Easy, slacken off the dimboleshaftywivel screw, lower the overdown under damper and remove the shastigarus mastiglobinoid -
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Seriously folks, it's either a sticking piston in the caliper or more likely a pad jamming in the caliper.
Re: Easy - question for beginners - Andrew T
Andrew M - this sounds feasible, but if true, what has the handbrake got to do with it?
Andrew. Thank you - fortunately for me, your insertion of the word 'seriously' helped me to weed out the jokers i,e almost all of them. I thoroughly enjoyed the 'witties' but will follow your comments up. It looks like WD40 to start with.

Cheers

Colin S
Re: Easy - question for beginners - David W
Colin,

If you look at your query again it looked as if you were banning those who knew the answer from replying, hence the type of replies.

Andrew M is of course right. At three years old this ought just to be sticking pads. Remove them, clean up all sliding surfaces and apply copaslip. Problem should go away.

And in case I get pulled up on the detail, no copaslip on the friction side please!

The handbrake was a red herring. The same would have happened if you had stopped with the footbrake hard on and then used a brick rather than the handbrake.

Regards,

David
David W Many thanks - will follow advice.
Cheers Colin S
Re: Easy - question for beginners - markymarkn
Isn't the term for this the brakes 'binding'?

Thats all I know. Haven't got a clue (yet) how you would fix it...