fiat punto ECU light and coil packs - Ross D
Hi all.

Hopefully someone can offer me some help. After a recent head gasket failure, which has now been fixed, my ECU light started flashing at me whilst I was drivng at motoway cruising speed, If i backed off the gas the light went out, this happend a couple of times so I took it back to the garage and the diagnostic machine said that it was a fault on the coil pack for cylinder 2.

I replaced the coil pack on Friday but on the motorway again this morning the ECU light started flashing at me again, there are no other symptoms no loss of power etc.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong? If there was a problem with an HT lead or spark plug would my ECU light be flashing? I want to explore all posibiliteis before I go back to the garage and get charged £25 for him o tell me it's the same thing. Have had an expensive month and cant afford endless amounts of diagnostic checks. I have a horrible fear that I'm about to enter the world of replacing endless amounts of elctronic sensors

If the light is just flashing at me am i likely to be doing any damage. I wish thie thing would just misfire so I could actually pin the fault to the igntion system instead of constantly wondering if my car is going to make it to where it's going.

Cheers
Ross

P.S. Exhaust was recently replaced but fault did not show up until my head gasket failed
fiat punto ECU light and coil packs - David G.I.Davies
I'd suggest you have the exhaust oxygen sensor checked or replaced.They can often be damaged by antifreeze when head gasket leaks and coolant enters exhaust.The ideal would be to take readings when the car is on mway and warning light is flashing.
fiat punto ECU light and coil packs - B,B ANTHONY
I Have replaced many Fiat coil packs over the years, and never yet for only failing at motorway speeds. (But there is always a first time!) It could be that if the diagnostic check revealed a fault code for the coil, it could have been a "ghost" code created when the head gasket failed.
The Lambda sensors do fail also on the Punto, but should give a "surging" feeling when travelling at a fixed high speed.
I would ask for the codes to be read again, and see what come up.
Regards Brian.
fiat punto ECU light and coil packs - Ross D
Thanks for the advice Folks. think I'll try replacing the lambda sensor. Will keep you posted as to my progress.