Insurance - Cutting out the middle man - Hugo {P}
I have a Royal Sun Alliance policy set up by a very well known commercial vehicle insurance broker.

Recently, as many of you are aware I had to get my van repaired after a B and Q trolley bay jumped out in front of me and cause severe damage to the side of my 3 month old van! The dealer lent me FOC their demonstrater van, which was similar to my own.

Because my broker tried to fleece me for over £100 (they didn't reckon on my connections with this site and Mark (RLBS) :) ) I decided I wanted to deal direct with the insurer over this issue.

I contacted them and they said that they could do this if I wrote to them. So, 10 minuites and one fax later I was speaking directly to them about changing my insurance for a fixed period to this other vehicle, then back when I had my own back - wait for it - for no extra charge!

I have now given my insurers authority to deal with me over this policy until the renewal date. It works!

So, it seems that once they have found your cheap policy, some brokers are only good for taking money from you to get things done that the underwiters will do free of charge! And if you want to avoid this, write to your insurers and tell them you wish to deal with them direct.

Hugo
Insurance - Cutting out the middle man - Retro
I was a broker for 18 years as previously mentioned.

I am out of it now, and frankly I do not see what brokers bring to the party nowadays. They are just a layer of administration and cost that is unnecessary.

Our talent used to be in assessing risk and helping both insurers and clients get good deals. Computers now do this much better.

I cannot see how the average broker and for that matter any broker can survive against low cost internet operations and outsourcing overseas. I also see outsourcing as being a temporary victory for countries like India as the internet is the lowest cost way of sourcing business and as you the client tap in the information if you get it wrong that is your look out and you cannot say I told the call centre bod, broker etc.

As an ex-broker it was good whilst it lasted, our time has now gone.

I still use a very good broker for our two cars, Peter Goord on 01752 361888. They are old fashioned in the way they provide good service and reassurance after an accident etc. They also include FOC uninsured loss recovery on all their motoring policies.

I know the current owner of the business has seen it mentioned here.

Unfortunately he cannot compete with the commercial vehicle broker, otherwise he would get my business there as well. There are a few good independent brokers around. However the ones that appear on the net and in large spreads in Yellow pages may still get my business but I'll never trust them completely.

H
Insurance - Cutting out the middle man - Ex-Moderator
There's the problem;

He's a good broker because there is FOC stuff, and extra service etc. etc.

But he fails to compete (presumably on price) and so fails to get that business.

People choose/select a service by price. And for most people, price alone. However, they then decide to like or dislike it on the one factor that they didn't consider when deciding which one to buy - service.

Brokers used to be able to listen to a risk description and then assess the 80 odd insurer market and rarely need to check more than two or three. And they knew all their underwriters, their underwriting guides and so much more. They knew the special terms that would apply and most of the policy ts&cs.

You couldn't get a good quote without using them. In these days of computers and call centres and the internet, then the broker can add virtually nothing. There is some scope around additional services and add-on business, but mostly its down to Sales and Marketing.

These days its all about overpriced add-on insurance and admin charges. Oh god, you can make a fortune from admin charges.

But you can't blame them - the one thing nobody will pay for in this country is service. And then you wonder about the state of customer service !!

If you can get the business by giving the best service, then you will do so.

If you get more and more business by being the cheapest, irrespective of service, then you will do that.

And its very rare for anybody to win anything on service in this country, its all about price.

I, on the other hand, will pay for service. I frequently pay more than I need, but generally I get very good service. And when I don't, its because everybody else trained the dealer/garage/broker the wrong way.
When I changed my van and had take out a new policy, I did get a quote from NFU. They were some £100 more on a £380 policy. The dealer suggested I gave them a call as several cover notes for commecial vehicles come though from them (to tax new vehicles).

If their service is as good as everyone says I may give them another call at renewal.

People (me included) do not properly consider the implications of actually haveing to use a policy. Fortunately my approach in this case seems to have worked well for me.

Hugo