Esso Supreme - ndbw
I normally use Esso unleaded from my local garage,last weekend in Plymouth I pulled in to an Esso garage and was given the choice of unleaded or Esso Supreme,there was a price difference,79.9 for normal and 90.9 for supreme,gave the car a treat and filled with the more expensive,does the panel think this is worthwhile should it become available at my local garage and is this the same price differentual as the Optimax which is often mentioned?.

ndbw
Esso Supreme - PhilW
Would have to be good - thats nearly 50p a gallon more expensive.
Esso Supreme - Schnitzel
I don't think so, that's over half as much again on the nett price (pre-tax)
Esso Supreme - PhilW
11p per litre. 4.54 litres in a gallon. 11p x 4.54 = 44.94pence. Sorry I was so innaccurate!! :)
Esso Supreme - Mattster
Why bother converting anyway? Everyone knows the price of a litre of petrol as they see it every day. What relevance is a gallon?
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Esso Supreme - smoke
True, but we do work out our averages in miles per gallon.
Esso Supreme - PhilW
Because I'm very old and still think in terms of miles per gallon. Presume you think in terms of litres per 100 kilometres. By the way, I work about 5 miles from home and my speedo reads in MPH and miles. Unless yours read in Kilometres you have to convert to get MPG. That's why I find it easier to think in terms of cost of petrol in MPG. 50p per gallon is about a penny per mile added to my costs.
Anyway, I'm off for a pint.
Esso Supreme - storme
i'll join you for that PINT.the pub is only a MILE walk.
and if you get there 1st,i'll have 1/6 gill of vodka.
Esso Supreme - keo-the-dog
you can walk that mile and have that pint but you cant have 1/6 gill of vodka it's sold in ml measures these days unfortunately...cheers...keo
Esso Supreme - PhilW
Sorry, got a bit confused their (old age) - meant to say that "unless your car reads in kilometres you will have to convert to get litres per 100 kilometres"
So, forget the pint, I'm off for another 125 millilitres of wine. Or a glass to us oldies.
Esso Supreme - blue_haddock
thats a small glass - i prefer 564 millilitres!
Esso Supreme - GrahamF1
Or perhaps 568 millilitres if you wanted a full pint! ;-)
Esso Supreme - frazerjp
I dont think its really worth the extra 10p a litre wotever it is etc... do you know the octane rating? Shell optimax is 98 Ron. Is just sounds a bit OTT to me. But then someone must get some improvements out of it, i mean i use optimax in my ka & it improves the acceleration quite a bit!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Esso Supreme - ndbw
Thanks but no thanks for replies,I know it is about 50p agallon more expensive,the question was is it comparable to Shell Optimax and does Shell have the same price increase over its ordinary unleaded.

ndbw
Esso Supreme - Thommo
I find that both supreme and optimax give me both fresh breath and a glossy coat, though of course it could all be a marketing exercise and the benefits all be in my head...
Esso Supreme - David Horn
Not sure how relevant it is, but if you run a diesel try the Shell diesel extra. Same price as the regular stuff but has made a huge difference to my car. Only sound I hear at motorway speeds now is the whistle of the turbo and the car is noticably more responsive.

Having never driven a petrol I can't say what difference to expect, but a read of the manual of my dad's Astra lead me to believe that the engine is specifically designed for a fuel octane and won't gain any improvement from a different one. There's a way of setting the engine to different octanes IIRC.
Esso Supreme - Altea Ego
Your Turbo is whistling? oh dear oh dear (sucks air in through teeth)
Esso Supreme - paulb {P}
Optimax (which is what I use) tends to be between 4 and 6p per litre more than the standard unleaded, which is bearable. 11p extra per litre for the Esso seems pretty steep.

Not sure about octane rating but I'd be surprised if it's as high as Optimax - AFAIK that's the only generally available 98-octane unleaded in this country. All the other supers tend to be around 97.
Esso Supreme - David Horn
Meh. It's whistled ever since I owned the car and it's very quiet, only just audible from the driver's seat when on boost. Can't imagine it has any effect on performance, as the car is extremely nippy anyway.

Hasn't been picked up on 3 services, either.
Esso Supreme - VTiredeyes
used to use optimax in the scoob.

yes it made a big difference.
ran smoother, better mpg, could get 155 miles to £40.
now selling it so i just fill up with sainsburys stuff at 76.9
think optimax was 88.9?
now get 100miles to £30
car hesitates, and dosent pull cleanly all thru rev range, on 76.9 juice.
Esso Supreme - ndbw
Thanks for that information paul,I have no Shell garage within 30 miles of where I live so could not make a compsrision,I have not noticed any difference so will give it a miss next time I,m in Plymouth.

ndbw
Esso Supreme Update - ndbw
Humble apologies to backroomers for the wrong information in my previous post.
Visited Plymouth again last weekend and found the correct price of Esso Supreme is 86.9/litre not 89.9 and six pence over their standard unleaded which was 79.9/litre.For those who queried its ron rating it is 97ron.
My local Esso station now has one pump seving this so I may use it as my mileage is only about 4000 per year if it is as kind to engines as Honest John says Optimax is (which I cant get locally)snswers welcome.

ndbw