MOT Validity - Wee Willie Winkie
All,

I?m hoping someone can give me some MOT advice.

Current MOT on the weekend runabout is due 23rd July 2005. I?m planning on using the car to drive to Spa in Belgium in August, so figured I could just get the MOT done early to ensure it isn?t in the workshop being repaired when it should be on a ferry!

I?ve booked it in for next Monday (might as well do it whilst I remember).

Now, the question is this. IF, and it is a big IF, the car fails, does this mean my existing MOT certificate is no longer valid? I know the MOT is a test to say the car was roadworthy on July 24th 2004, but there is an expiry date of July 23rd 2005 on there. Is there any kind of cross-referencing that is done in situations like this?

Of course, I?m not planning on continuing to use the car if it does fail, it?s just an interesting scenario that I?d like to know the answer to. I?ve searched t?internet and can?t find anything.

Thanks in advance!

DB
MOT Validity - medman
Your old certificate will still be valid and you can therefore still use the car whilst awaiting repairs, although I would not do this if the tester defined any of the fail points as dangerous. Many people take their cars for MOT a calendar month ahead of time to ensure they can still use the car whilst waiting for repairs. If the car passes, the additional month is added to your new certificate so you get an MOT for 13 months!
MOT Validity - Dalglish
Your old certificate will still be valid and you can therefore
still use the car whilst awaiting repairs,

medman - can you please clarify that this is an official legal position, and not just your own opinion.

thanks.

MOT Validity - Altea Ego
Yes where does this stand now we are having on-line computerised MOT's?

I would have thought the if another MOT is done and the car is deemed as a fail this would superceed the previous one.

Also if the car is involved in any incident and the driver is aware of a relevant material defect (ie knowing it failed an mot) then that cold be used in evidence against?

On the other hand an MOT is valid for one year.

Interesting
MOT Validity - john deacon
well as part of the rare checks on mot stations they take the same car round lots of mot stations, and some pass it and some fail it, however the car always has a valid mot and remains road legal
MOT Validity - Ex-Moderator
Your old certificate will still be valid and you can therefore still use the car whilst awaiting repairs

I think there are two different things here;

Firstly the MOT certificate merely says that at a point in time you had your car tested. You have the legal duty to have that done each year. You have no duty to get it done in less than a year unless the car is significantly altered.

A second point is its unroadworthiness. If you discover your car is not roadworthy, then you should not use it or allow it to be used on the public highway - and if you do, then the RTA might be the least of your worries. You may discover this a number of ways, one of which could be that an MOT tester will tell you.

A third point is that if you know or believe your car to be unroadworthy and you have an accident then you run the significant risk of either invalidating your insurance policy or at least giving your insurer the right to recover their expenses from you directly, should they have to p[ay out on a claim.
MOT Validity - martint123
You fail an MOT for a specific problem - not cosmetic but something serious. I don't think you could get done for not having an MOT, but you do have a duty to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy.
MOT Validity - Ex-Moderator
>>not cosmetic but something serious.

For example, rear foglight not working, windscreen washer not working, handbrake not working, emissions unacceptable. Ok, not good, but not neccessarily severe in the roadworthiness stakes either.
MOT Validity - Civic8
Certificate is valid untill due date.If the car fails in advance.You have untill expiry to put right..Unless its a serious failure..Which I think the garage can refuse to allow vehicle back on the road..
I know this has happened.Many years ago though
--
Steve
MOT Validity - Doc
Quote from the MOT site:
Remember- the test certificate relates only to the condition of the testable items at the time of the test and should not be regarded as evidence of their condition at any other time; nor should it be accepted as evidence of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle.

If the vehicle fails an earlier than due MOT test, the current certificate will still be valid and can therefore be used to obtain Road Tax or for producing at a Police Station.

MOT Validity - martint123
>>not cosmetic but something serious.

My exceptions were in my mind, but didn't make it to the keyboard - sorry - add numberplates, vin number etc
MOT Validity - DeeJay
Dieselboy ,
The certificate remains valid until the expiry date of July23rd 2005 regardless of any failure before that date . This does not,however ,give you immunity from prosecution for using a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition should the vehicle attract the attention of the BiB for any reason .( Advise based on 20+ years testing up to 2002 ) Deejay .
MOT Validity - Dwight Van Driver
Spot on Mark and Deejay.

Any defect could be fail to maintain or parts and accessories in such condition as likely to cause danger. Or, defects pointed out and you drove off and involved in RTA however small, could be dangerous driving.

DVD
MOT Validity - Wee Willie Winkie
Thanks all.

It's as I thought. Of course there is no question of me driving the car if it fails - I was just interested.

The car in question is a 1974 VW Beetle - so I'm not expecting it to fly through!

DB